mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hub choice for cyclocross

New to cyclocross and I need some general advice on hub selection. Looking to get a set of mid-range rim brake hubs for $300 or less. 28 hole, front and back.

Can I get away with road hubs? I weigh 153lbs. MTB background, so I suspect I may be a bit rough on the wheels. I've been looking at the DT Swiss 350 road hubs.

mtbr member
    Check out White Industry hubs. Really nice hubs at a good price.

mtbr member
    Check out Hope road hubs. Tough and easy to service.
    Signature

mtbr member
    I'd imagine a good road hub with decent seals would be fine.

Personally, I've been using the same XT hubs on my CX bike since '06, haven't had any hub issues and they're still going strong. The brake tracks on my rims are getting a bit thin, so I may just get some new rims and reuse the hubs. The bike gets ridden on lots of rocky single track (with it's fair share of pinch flats and one smashed headset) and is also used in CX races.

If you do use MTB hubs, you may have to re-space the rear from 135mm to 130mm. My frame is steel, so I just left the hub spaced at 135mm and spread the frame slightly when installing the wheel.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    CX is going in the direction of disc brakes. Might be worth building up with disc brake hubs, even if you're not running disc now. You could share them on a 29 bike if you had the need. You'll run in a lot of mud/sand etc so good seals are important.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    Either way (disc or non-disc), I would recommend Hope hubs. They are stellar performers.