Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    On Marathon Mondials 40mm. They work well, but have definitely noticed a lot of slide out on loose/muddy stuff and it takes an effort to keep the rear wheel planted on steep climbs.

That being said, if you are doing dirt/gravel roads, go slick and wide, if you are doing single track go knobbier (less line choices sharper bends).

Smart Sam looks rad. If/when I race cross next fall I'll probably jump to Kenda Small Block 8s (NoCal Cyclocross is hard and dry, no need for big knobs, just fast rolling).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm running 32mm Panaracer T-Serve Protex on my Crosshairs (though I know a 35mm or even 38mm tire would be better for the dirt). They're my "everything tire" on that bike and as long as I keep my speed up hills, avoid the sand/deep mud, and watch teh wet leaves, I'm alright. Better to have my MTN bike for those conds. anyway...so that's what I'm probably on on such days.
    - Chris
    '96 Trek 990 SHX / '08 Gunnar Crosshairs

Clueless Bastard
    I ride quite a bit of dirt road on Conti 4 season grand prix, 25mm. Fast on the road and can handle abuse. Back em down to 100psi or so, grip it, n rip it.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

How much tread do you really need on packed dirt ?

Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    I ride quite a bit of dirt road on Conti 4 season grand prix, 25mm. Fast on the road and can handle abuse. Back em down to 100psi or so, grip it, n rip it.
    I do not go above 90-95psi on pavement with 23mm tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I do not go above 90-95psi on pavement with 23mm tires.
    You must ride on roads that are glass smooth with no cracks or potholes. 90-95 on 23's here would mean lots of pinch flats. I am off of 23's now, though. 27-28 @ 80psi works for me.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    You must ride on roads that are glass smooth with no cracks or potholes. 90-95 on 23's here would mean lots of pinch flats. I am off of 23's now, though. 27-28 @ 80psi works for me.
    Far from it. Rough roads. Gravel. Potholes. Chip seal. 170lb rider.

And lose the apostrophes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I'd rather be riding
    I run 28 bontrager wire beads. They hold up well for my riding, 80% road 20% packed dirt/gravel. I've even taken them on singletrack but prefer a cross tire in those situations. Run about 95 on road and I'll drop them to 80 if I'll be off a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much tread do you really need on packed dirt ?-img_20140330_085625_885.jpg  

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by autterson View Post
    Not as cool looking without the knobbies ... BUT ... As soon as we get rid of some of this snow here in SE Michigan, I will let you know how they handle dirt roads (I suspect just fine). In the mean time, I'll be on the tarmac this weekend for the first time in a few months. I always have my Slant Six's for rougher terrain, but I suspect they will hang on the wall most of the time. Thanks for all the advice ...
    I live close to you and ride gravel in Oakland/Wayne/Washtenaw. I have been very pleased with Kenda Happy Medium 700x40 and Kenda Kommando ( Kommando has much lower volume, but is nice for when things get packed down in the summer.)

I had some Schwalbe marathon extreme for awhile, but they were overkill (felt heavy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    late to the thread and I know we Coloradans are a bit crazy but for the sort of riding you're describing, we ride straight up road bikes on mid-fat slicks (so 25 or 28mm roadie slicks) at 60-80 psi.

almost all our secondaries are dirt, and we have quite a few road races out here that incorporate dirt sections. You get used to it, and now I simply kind of laugh when I see threads like this.

If you saw the local roadies riding their Zipp 303 25mm tubular slicks on dirt roads on racedays out here you'd be a little surprised at first, too, but it is not unusual or even out of the norm.

edit: here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Photos of the 2013 Koppenberg circuit race.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2