mtbr member
    Mar 2009

How big is a 62?? (Besides 62cm of course)

I ride XL mountain bikes. I learned on a 21 with a long stem, and that is just what I got used to even though I could have had a smaller bike. CX bikes have shorter TT's than mountain bikes, but I imagine that's functional. I'm 6 foot, and have short legs. Is a 62 I'm looking at out of the question?

mtbr member
    This is a good question and I will be interested in the responses. I ride XL frames and am 6'3 ish. At your size I would imagine a large frame, and something in the 58-59cm size is more appropriate.
    2009 Salsa Fargo
    2012 Surly Pugsley
    2012 Cannondale SL4 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Its always hard to tell someone what size bike they need on the internet. But I'll give you my 2 cents anyways. A 21" mountain bike is not unusual for someone who is 6'. However a 62cm road/cx frame is awfully big for someone your size. A 58-60 would probably be better. Especially since you have short legs, you probably would not be able to straddle the top tube at all because the standover would be too high for your feet to touch the ground. The best thing would be to go test ride one and find out how it feels.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

jrm
    mtbr member
    Its not how big it is, its is the effective top tube long enough..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Its not how big it is, its is the effective top tube long enough..
    This kind of confuses me, because the eTT lengths on CX bikes are shorter, so I think for me it is more of a standover question when talking about a size that may be too large.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's still about reach. TT length is not a bad alternative, but it's not as precise.

The handle bars on road bikes move ones hands further forward of the head tube than flat bars. So the same rider would ride a road bike with a significantly shorter top tube. For me, it seems to be around 50 mm, but I don't think that's a very good generalization.

You really have to ride a bunch and try a couple sizes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I ride a 21" Superfly and just got a 61cm crossrip. The crossrip feels bigger and I'm 6'4" with fairly long legs.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm 6'2" and freakishly long of torso. I can usually be happy on a 21" or 22" mtb. My cx bike is a 58cm, it would be a 60cm if I could have found one. A friend has a 62cm and its fine except for standover. The top tube on it is 24" which fits me fine but the 34+inch standover is a tad much for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm 6'5", 36" inseam, and 37" sleeve, and I ride a 62 with a 110 stem and a 610mm top-tube (civilian cycles). It still feels long to me. I would suggest a 62 would be way to large.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    There few hard and fast rules regarding bike fit. Typically I prefer a few inches of standover clearance regardless of the bike type and size. Beyond that I set my bikes up like this: With the cranks horizontal (and the seat adjusted properly) my forward kneecap is slightly ahead of the pedal shaft (which should run directly under the ball of the foot). On a road bike, I raise the seat high enough that my heal can maintain contact with pedals when I pedal backwards. When that's done I need the handlebars in a position that my back is straight and about 45 degrees forward tilt. At 6'1" (normally proportioned) I ride a 58cm. If you can meet those parameters the 62 would seem reasonable, I don't think it will give you very much standover, the toptube may be correctable by using a really short stem. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 6'1, relatively long legged.
    Usually ride a 58cm Salsa Casseroll, periodically ride a 62cm Gardin roadbike which would have a lower top tube height than a 62cm cyclocross.
    I can rest my knards on the Gardin's toptube.
    It's fun as hell all single speeded and rambling down the road for short rides.
    But I tried it to do a 600K tour recently, and was in all kinds of pain.

If you're short legged you might even want a 56 with a longer stem.
    (cross bike sizing is weird though, so definitely throw a leg over whatever size you choose, don't asusme all the 58's will fit the same)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!