2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: Hopping up the stairs

So smooooth! :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    No skill required, just pull up on the clips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It takes skill to maintain the momentum but I laugh every time I see someone say he is defying gravity or "doing the unthinkable." Seems like the roadies saying that should take a mtb skills class
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    It's also made possible by the stair spacing, which coincidentally seems to be optimized for the wheelbase of a CX bike.

mtbr member
    I suspect he's a mountain biker at heart:

Hopping up the stairs-dsc1505.jpg

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2013 Kona Raijin SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Oh, I missed this- no, he's not pulling up on the clips. Skill is indeed required. He is pumping up the steps.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I still like this wayyy better:

Cyclocosmblr
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I still like this wayyy better:

Cyclocosmblr
    Agreed!

Disappointed that Jeremy Powers didn't ride up the stairs today with his big-gapped win. We need more beer/bacon hand-ups and guys doing wheelies across the finish line in cycling.

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2013 Kona Raijin SS

AZ
    banned

Then you wouldn't mind posting a video of you doing it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Then you wouldn't mind posting a video of you doing it?
    +1000

mtbr member
    That's impressive. It may surprise some of the meathead mt bike types, but these roady/cx types do have a surprisingly good amount skills.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Outlaw
    I have a funny feeling that most of the ones who say they need a mountain bike skills class or that doesn't take much skill would get left behind on a technical CX course. Take an inch of width away and run at 30 or so psi and riding stairs becomes a good way to get a flat. Much less so with tubulars, and I would imagine tubeless which are becoming more popular in cross, but most out there run clinchers due to cost. Many of the spectators are cyclists and racers and many have a background in MTBing.

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmed View Post
    Agreed!

Disappointed that Jeremy Powers didn't ride up the stairs today with his big-gapped win. We need more beer/bacon hand-ups and guys doing wheelies across the finish line in cycling.
    seems like a risk/reward decision. i'm sure he had a guy with a stopwatch timing his hot laps to see if it was faster and by how much. he was putting ~5 secs on Trebon from lap 3 to lap 8. there was no need to risk it.

but i'm with ya...it would have been awesome for him to bust it out leading nationals.

mtbr member
    Looked pretty amazing to me - not really getting up the stairs but how smooth he was and how it made it look effortless.

mitt

Twin Six METAL Team
    Jeremy Powers did it a few times yesterday during warmups before the Men's Elite race. He and Zach McDonald (also Rapha Focus) were the only ones I saw try it.

Having raced/ridden at VBP a few times, I couldn't imagine hopping up those steps. I'd crash for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    I have a funny feeling that most of the ones who say they need a mountain bike skills class or that doesn't take much skill would get left behind on a technical CX course. Take an inch of width away and run at 30 or so psi and riding stairs becomes a good way to get a flat. Much less so with tubulars, and I would imagine tubeless which are becoming more popular in cross, but most out there run clinchers due to cost. Many of the spectators are cyclists and racers and many have a background in MTBing.
    Derp- I didnt say it takes no skill. But since I was the one who mentioned that the people who thought it the defy physics probably should take a mtb skills class, I feel that you were referring to me, and yes- learning to pump up and over a raised obstacle is a basic skill. People who dont have mtb experience dont know how he did it, that was what I stated.

What he did was a very fluid and skillful repetitive execution of a basic mtb skill. When done correctly, which he certainly did, it would have little stress on the narrower and smaller tires. He wasn't banging off the stairs so much as skimming across them.

Don't lump lump me in with the "he was just lifting up on the clips" guy
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Loan me a CX bike for a dude 6'3" and some clipless shoes size 13 EE and I'd be more than happy to. I gave up on clipless a long time ago, I have the bad knees ya sees? After a few miles the lack of change up was just excruciating. Was never able to get along with the lack of mobility and the like. They were fun for sure, I could instantly bunny hop a foot in the air, I have never been good at fancy, show-off bunny hops, I just J hop stuff out on the trail or street.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    Jeremy Powers did it a few times yesterday during warmups before the Men's Elite race. He and Zach McDonald (also Rapha Focus) were the only ones I saw try it.

Having raced/ridden at VBP a few times, I couldn't imagine hopping up those steps. I'd crash for sure.
    The second place junior also hopped them every lap on Sunday. Very slick...I was impressed. Now my 12 year old wants me to build some on our course.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Hopping up the stairs

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    That's impressive. It may surprise some of the meathead mt bike types, but these roady/cx types do have a surprisingly good amount skills.
    Cody is as much of a mtb'er as he is a "roady/cx" type. Very well rounded cyclist.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Dambit, now I want some clipless again, not for riding, but for playing, bike dancing. They were fun as all get out, did squat for pedaling over flats, but bunny hopping was magical, just jump up, and the bike comes with, as high as you can push up every time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Re View Post
    I will wage a bet that 100% of the field were on tubulars.

Tubeless never really caught on.

Outlaw
    There was a Stan's team at Nationals and I do see them on the line in every category. Not a lot, as there are more on tubies and still more on clinchers, but they're out there.

Jared, just sayin as a fifteen year mountain biker and few year cross racer, it's tough to pull that off that clean. Cross just happens so fast and you're redlining turning yourself inside out just to not get passed that it's easy to botch the stairs and wind up running the rest of the lap. I agree that hopping your bike over something is a basic skill, but repeating it ten or so times, uphill and not slowing down (much) goes a bit beyond basic. That **** was tight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^ Oh I getcha. For sure! I have only done a few mtb races and my skills go to **** during a race, haha. For him to do that under the pressure of competiton is awesome.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Cody is as much of a mtb'er as he is a "roady/cx" type. Very well rounded cyclist.
    I've never heard of this guy before seeing the video, I was referring to the typical MTBR poster.

Dambit, now I want some clipless again, not for riding, but for playing, bike dancing. They were fun as all get out, did squat for pedaling over flats, but bunny hopping was magical, just jump up, and the bike comes with, as high as you can push up every time.
    If done correct, the elusive "Bunny Hop" has nothing to do with clipless or flat pedals.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast