mtbr member
    Feb 2011

HELP!!! Will Be Racing In Mud This Weekend....

and here in Colorado this is unusual especially for this time of year. The race on Saturday looks to be in a field that will probably have some sand/clay/dirt mixture. I do not know anything about the set up of the course. The race location has not received as much rain as other areas like around Boulder but it will still be a decent amount.

My question is since this is the 2nd weekend of our season and my first race are there any tips people can share. I'm about #175 and will have some new Specialized Captains running tubeless. We don't get to train or race much in the mud as it is usually dusty and hardpacked. I hear things about steering through corners or not but don't understand what that means. Also is there anything mechanically I can do to prep for the muck?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Littleton?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes. Race is still on as far as I know, Sundays is cancelled.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I run older Captains, and also weigh 175.
    I really like running a down tube fender, I use a Zefal Croozer (goes on with rubber band type things), one of those will keep most of your own mud out of your eyes those really help IMO. A seatpost mounted rear fender helps a little with keeping you clean, but it's not necessary.
    You will probably slide around a bit, but that's just bike handling and balance, everybody will be dealing with that.
    Anticipate the braking zones a little more since your brakes may not grab right away (or at all!), but you'll be going pretty slow. Chances are it will not be bottomless (you'd have to run/slog through or around if it's really deep mud), so it will just be a lot more work to pedal through 2-4" of slop.
    Expect your shifting to get bad as the mud and sand gather in your cassette, you may end with just one gear that works, and the chain will just skip around in the rear until it works a groove into the mess.
    If it's cold, wool socks and heavier gloves than you would normally wear. Ice cold feet slow you down, wool is warm when wet.
    Warm up on a trainer or the training bike, keep the race bike clean as long as you can, you don't want to start the race with your cassette packed full of mud/sand/clay. If you can, leave a clean bike in the pits for the last couple laps, - I don't know many people who have this as an option but it's good to do if you can.

Have fun!, remember when you were a kid and got to go out and play in the mud?, here's your chance! Racing in the mud can and should be fun. Bring an extra towel and water to towel off after your race.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyinCO View Post
    Yes. Race is still on as far as I know, Sundays is cancelled.
    it will be my first cross race so Im no help.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    WAIT...........

You ride CX and your worried about mud???

You guys live for mud.............You go out of your way to hunt for mud............If your bike is not black when finishing, it's not a good race..................
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have heard stories of lands where they race cx and there is very rarely mud, I think the OP lives in one of these places. It is fair to ask; if there is no mud is it really cyclocross?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Im sure we'll be racing in snow soon enough...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    WAIT...........

You ride CX and your worried about mud???

You guys live for mud.............You go out of your way to hunt for mud............If your bike is not black when finishing, it's not a good race..................
    We were racing in December last year and it was 65 degrees. For people that have never been to Denver or the front range, we do not get much snow.
    It keeps on raining, and with the road conditions east of the race, north in the Boulder area, the foothills and the general conditions of the roads, I am thinking the race will be cancelled but who knows. I am ready to get dirty!