mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Help spec'ing SSCX

Alright, my Giant TCX SS showed up yesterday (pictures will come later!), and now it's time to start spec'ing it out!

I'd like to go hydro, but it looks like the options for SS hydro brakes are pretty slim. Am I missing anything, or is it just the Sram stuff (gutted of course) and the TRP's? Anyone ever heard or tried to gut a shimano shifter? The mechanical shifting hydraulic shimano brakes should be out in the next few weeks, which is what I'd really like, but at the same time, I don't want the shifter paddles!

Also, what about hubs? I'd like something with relatively high engagement. Not really a Chris King fan, and the DT single speed hub is outrageously expensive. Been a while since I've owned hopes, are they still crazy loud?

Sorry if these questions have been posted before, I did a quick search and didn't find much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    TRP HyRd brakes and Cane Creek drop bar levers should see you sorted. Hope hubs are robustly overbuilt - there's also White Industries

mtbr member
    Obviously, if you're willing to run a flat bar there is a myriad of hydro options...Although the TRP Hylex would be my choice if sticking with a drop bar...

I'm really happy with my budget wheelset, surly hubs with WI freewheels...not the lightest for sure, light enough for my level of performance

jrm
    mtbr member
    Hub wise id' suggest choosing something that will allow you to use a rear rws qr since the frames not spec'd for a thru axle. Im using hopes and there great.

mtbr member
    Love my Hopes, both sets!
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Help spec'ing SSCX

I'd just go with TRP Hylex's. Have used my set for a year and they are phenomenal. Ridden and raced the crap out of them without a single issue right out of the box. And they're SS specific so you don't have any of those shifty bits cluttering up the levers (i.e. No shifter paddles). Feel like my Shimano xT's on my mtb and that's even with a 140mm rotor in the rear

For a SS hub i'm of the opinion that high engagement is overrated. I go for hubs that spin smooth and fast for days with little friction or resistance. With that in mind i'm a fan of American Classic SS mtb hubs. Not blingy, but fast and light.