mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Help needed choosing/building a Crux CX

Hi, I'm currently riding a Crux Comp Disc 2011 (this one http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/...de-600x398.jpg) with the aluminum frame and the mechanical disc brakes.

I use it for commuting, road, and offroad. No actual competition, albeit I like to ride on similar terrain/tracks when I do offroad.

I like the geometry a lot and that's why i'm favoring the crux (it also seems to have excellent reviews).

I don't like the mechanical disc brakes so much, they seem to need a lot more maintenance than my past MTBs with hydraulic brakes.

Also, the wheel are quite heavy and the tubes often get pinch flats if i run on lower pressure (which is so much more comfortable than high pressure offroad)

Since i've a little bit of money set aside for this, I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'm a little lost and this is where I need help.

Questions:

- is the geometry of the crux 2014 still relatively similar to the 2011? it looks like it from the pictures but I don't know if that means anything.

- are tubeless tires really helping with low pressure, can i run them on commute as well or is that really stuff you keep for "race only" ?

- (for cost reasons) does it make sense to buy a 2013 carbon crux frame and fit it with the components I like (mostly sram force/rival and tubeless tires instead of clinchers then), or is the frame different from the 2014? The other option is to take a fully built bike (since the 2014 frame alone at 2200 doesn't seems to make financial sense compared to the stock bikes).

- Does the force/red components on the pro crux really make a diff? (i see many in the forum upgrading their evo rival crux with similar parts, so i'm wondering).

- Does it make to get a pro crux with tubeless tire/wheels, or a rival evo, or it's just a better idea to get the 6300 USD race crux if that's to go tubeless (which i'd just take if i had the money ;-)

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by alula; 10-15-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: formating issues