2015 ibis hakkalugi disc cx bike
    Looking at the CX1 build for each.
    They both are really light out the box I like the geo
    Of the ibis a little more with the low bb drop
    But I do not like the cockpit and the external routing
    I love the Van Dessel build wouldn't change anything on it
    but the bb is taller prices for me are about the same
    I will use this for 2 actual cx races and 5 gravel races
    Each year.. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions?
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Either should be good, not sure a little bit different BB drop/ height will make a lot of difference, unless the Van Dessel is a full CM or more taller, I don't think external or internal cable routing matters much, just make sure that replacing cables with the internal run won't be too difficult. and the cockpit parts on the Ibis could be replaced one at a time when you have more $ and or find a good deal, I'm sure the OE parts are usable for a while, perhaps just a little heavier and or not preferial handlebar bend or seat.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Adam View Post
    Either should be good, not sure a little bit different BB drop/ height will make a lot of difference, unless the Van Dessel is a full CM or more taller, I don't think external or internal cable routing matters much, just make sure that replacing cables with the internal run won't be too difficult. and the cockpit parts on the Ibis could be replaced one at a time when you have more $ and or find a good deal, I'm sure the OE parts are usable for a while, perhaps just a little heavier and or not preferial handlebar bend or seat.
    The VD FTB bb drop is 67 and the Ibis is 70
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
    The VD FTB bb drop is 67 and the Ibis is 70
    The general idea is most riders like riding with the lower BB. In the strictest sense, the higher BB is preferred for 'cross racing as it permits pedaling some places. But, this is an ephemeral matter as 'cross is primarily a Watts production test with the highest producers finishing ahead of the lower.

Whichever is more fun for you to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not sure what size you are but I have a friend selling a 49cm Van Dessel brand new for a good price if that helps.

mtbr member
    There are a couple of things you didn't mention, don't know if you considered them or not. 1st, while both bikes are "race" bikes, the FTB has a decidedly racier geometry than the HL in ways that might really matter when you're gravel grinding, which seems to be your primary use. The headtube is lower and the seattube angle steeper on the FTB, which is intended to help position you farther forward and lower. You can achieve the same position on the FTB as you would on the HL, you'll just need a lot of setback on your seatpost and you'll need almost 2cm worth of extra spacers to get the same stem height.

The higher BB (not much higher, but high enough) coupled with the more aggressive front end means the bike won't be as naturally stable, and you'll find it more fatiguing and less forgiving if you're doing long distance gravel events.

Lastly, and this may seem like no big deal, but if you work on your own bikes you'll thank me for pointing this out: The FTB has the rear brake inside the chainstay/seatstay junction, whereas the HL has it outside the chainstay. MUCH easier to set up the brake when mounted on the chainstay, and much easier to adjust/maintain. For some brake/frame combos, it can be nearly impossible to set up the rear brake if it's inside the frame like on the FTB.

Clueless Bastard
    Mudge has good scope on the geometry differences.

I've been looking for a new cross bike for more than a year. One key thing...New this model year the FTB has thru axles front and rear, Hakaluggi does not. The industry is going that direction. Speaking from MTB experience, now I wouldn't buy a cross bike that DID NOT have thru axles. But I'm funny about stuff like that. Like buying a cross bike with Canti brakes. Why would you do that? Weight penalty? Horsepucky!

I'm hoping that Trek does thru axles on the edit: Boone (not Crockett) race bike in the next year, as I think that IsoSpeed thing is the sh*t, especially for a gravel grinder bike.