mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Help! I can't remove my tire from my rim!! C29ssmax and Hutchinson Bulldog Tubeless

Help please. I remember wrestling this new tire onto this UST rim last Spring. The tire is still like new so I don't want to cut it off. I can't get the bead to slide off the rim. The rim has a little groove that the bead locks into and it's tighter than.... I got my other one off ok but that was a used tire and the bead must have been more loose.
    I am running Stan's fluid and I assume what's in the tire is now dry. I tried some fresh Stan's on the outside to lube it. All I have to show so far is wasted time and a massive blister on each thumb.
    I'm starting to understand that not all 700 and 29 are interchangeable.
    Any ideas? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dish soap for lube on the rim track & bead, tire levers, and beer. No good wrenching happens successfully without beer drinking during.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

NONDURO
    Lots of beer and cursing.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Bro Mountainbiker
    The bead is stuck on the bead hook? Or the bead is already in the spoke nipple channel but wont stretch over the rim sidewall?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Why do you want to take the tire off? If it's just to add more Stans, can you remove your valve core and put it in that way?

I have a UST mountain bike tire/rim combo where it is really hard to break the bead. My thumbs wouldn't do it. I had to put it on something knee-height, hold down the near edge of the wheel with my knee, and push really hard with my palms. If that doesn't work, try putting something a little stiffer under your palms to concentrate the force. Make sure you are away from the valve.

If you've broken the bead and can't get the tire off, get better/stronger tire irons. I like my Pedros and Specialized irons. Downhill tire irons have long levers to give you lots of leverage.

As a last resort, offer a free six-pack to any of your friends who can do it for you.

Good luck.

AZ
    banned
    Name:  pk3211.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  15.3 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My brand new bulldog was sliced last year on my shimano ultegra tubeless ready rim and I had to cut it off. I didn't try for very long as it was already ruined but I don't think there was anyway it was comming off.