mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Help with fitting a Surly Cross Check

Hello everyone. I just purchased a 56cm Surly Cross Check. I didn't do much size research before I bought it, thinking the 56cm would fit me because my Trek 2.1 56cm fits me well.

After taking out to ride on road/singletrack today, I am not happy with the long reach. Once I measured, I realized that the top tube is actually larger than 56cm and it has a 100mm stem.

I am 5'10" with a short torso and arms. Should I try to size down the current bike by getting a 70-80mm stem with more rise, or switch out the frame for a 54cm?

powered by peanut butter.
    I'd try the stem first, if I were you. Better to try a $30 fix before buying a new frame, right?

FWIW, I'm 5'6'' and bought a 50cm CC. It was a touch to short for me, so I added a setback seatpost and a longer stem with a higher rise. I'm happy with the fit now, but it took some experimenting.

Have you checked if the ETT on your Trek is similar to the 54cm CC frame?
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

jrm
    mtbr member
    I'd suggest a stem with enough raise so that you have the same reach as you do on the trek but the bar is level with the seat. Also a CX bar like a cowbell would help alot due ot the shallow drop and sort reach. I run my levers so that the tops of the hoods are level with the top of the bar. Dont size down. Just mess with t he stem bar lever set up and youll get it.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks, I'm going to try a new stem, handlebars, and a non setback seatpost.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can you return it?

The thing is that if you shorten up the reach on a too-big road bike too much, it makes it handle really badly. Unstable front wheel, wandering on climbs. Lame.

It's probably worth trying some other stems, but I wouldn't go further than that. Definitely don't compromise your saddle position.

Also, Google "Peter White fit." First hit should be an article that lays out fitting a road bike step-by-step without any lasers
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would suggest you try the 54cm, I ride a 56 and I'm 6Ft tall like the 57cm TT and use a 110 stem, the short head tube means I need a couple spacers and my OS 99 road stem flipped up, but it's been a great fit for me for over 10 years. With the shorter head tubes of a cross check it might be hard to get a even saddle/bar position, in a smaller size though, I have my seat up fairly high, and definitly still have saddle to bar drop, but it works for me

mtbr member
    I am just a tad over 5'10 and my CC is a 54 with a 100mm stem...a new stem would be cheaper but if you have the option of returning/switching frames I would do that...I think in the long run you would be happier riding the right size bike...good luck!

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    I am just a tad over 5'10 and my CC is a 54 with a 100mm stem...a new stem would be cheaper but if you have the option of returning/switching frames I would do that...I think in the long run you would be happier riding the right size bike...good luck!
    Agreed.
    The comment about the head tube is right on. The Cross check head tube is really short. Sometimes moving to a smaller frame with a shorter head tube had bad effects. It may increase the drop from saddle to bars. Keep that in mind.

Once you have it dialed in the cross check is a really nice riding bike.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.