mtbr member

Help with CX decision...

So, I'm trying to decide between two used CX bikes... Primary use will be commuting and dirt roads, with a couple CX/dirt road races thrown in.

Choices as of now are:

1. Late 90's Voodoo Wazoo frame w/Kelly fork, all powdercoated to match, a nice seafoam-ish green. A mix of older 600, deore, and Sora parts. 135mm rear drops. A mode US made steel rig. $400

2. 2005 Trek XO 1. All stock, except the aluminum fork (also included) replaced with an Origin 8 carbon CX fork. 2005- era 105 stuff all around, with the Bonti wheels. $450.

Your thoughts?

mtbr member

Re: Help with CX decision...

Anyone? :beer:

TXTony
    I am no expert on either bikes but I think I would go with the Trek simply because it is newer...though the the thought of steel is enticing..I think pick the best one that meets your needs and go with it..plus on the Trek the entire drive trail seems to be complete from one group...though mixing is not issue and is done all the time I just like have everything matched up..I guess it comes down to fit and personal preference as cool as the VooDoo is I think I would still spring for the Trek

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Trek sounds good due ot the 105 components, not sure of the differnences but I have a 2006 uquipped road bike with 105 still in perfect working order with lots of miles on it (chain, cassette, crank all have been replaced at times but shifters deraileurs great shape). I am actually in process of changing my cross bike over to 105 from SRAM Apex.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member

In general is it more desierable to get a good frame with ok components, or an ok frame with good components?

I'm thinking the components will be easier to upgrade later.

Also, as I plan on using this for mostly gravel and commuting, would the steel frame be more comfy then the aluminum Trek? Or was this frame not that stiff?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by classrc View Post
    In general is it more desierable to get a good frame with ok components, or an ok frame with good components?

I'm thinking the components will be easier to upgrade later.

Also, as I plan on using this for mostly gravel and commuting, would the steel frame be more comfy then the aluminum Trek? Or was this frame not that stiff?

Thanks for the feedback so far!
    Steel will deliver a more compliant ride and smoother ride...but not all steel is created equal so if you do decide to go that route I would defiantly do some research. The Aluminum will be lighter in general but the ride will be stiff and on gravel roads you are going to feel some feedback even with a carbon fork. I have an aluminum and carbon cross bike and since getting the carbon bike I hardly ride the other one...but am considering getting a steel frame like a Surly and using the parts off of it and build up a bike...I had a steel frame back in the day and it is one of those things you just have to ride to appreciate..but I am not one of those guys that is hardcore stuck on one type of frame or material..my aluminum cross bike has served me well and done everything I asked it to...like anything in life everything has its pros and cons...in the end it kinda of comes down to what you want and how you want to use it..I have done many miles with my aluminum cross bike and enjoyed every mile.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Steel will deliver a more compliant ride and smoother ride...but not all steel is created equal so if you do decide to go that route I would defiantly do some research.
    I've been looking into the Voodoo Wazoo... It was one of the last frames of US production, making it late 90's. The frame is a mix of Reynolds and true-temper tubing. The fork is a Kelly fork, not the original Voodoo fork and is OX2 Platinum. I'm thinking it should ride pretty nice.

I think I'm making up my own mind, lol...

TXTony
    I've been looking into the Voodoo Wazoo... It was one of the last frames of US production, making it late 90's. The frame is a mix of Reynolds and true-temper tubing. The fork is a Kelly fork, not the original Voodoo fork and is OX2 Platinum. I'm thinking it should ride pretty nice.

I think I'm making up my own mind, lol...
    Sounds like you have a plan...

mtbr member

Sounds like you have a plan...
    Yep! I'm taking the Voodoo for a long test ride this Friday

TXTony
    Yep! I'm taking the Voodoo for a long test ride this Friday
    Nice...let us know what you go with!

mtbr member

Nice...let us know what you go with!
    I bought the Voodoo! I'll post a pic up later. We went for a nice 10-ish mile test ride, covering pavement, buff dirt singletrack, and gravel rail trail... It rides beautifully. I'm really gonna like this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    WANT PICS NOW!!!

Congrats on the purchase!

TXTony
    I bought the Voodoo! I'll post a pic up later. We went for a nice 10-ish mile test ride, covering pavement, buff dirt singletrack, and gravel rail trail... It rides beautifully. I'm really gonna like this.
    Awesome. Congrats. Got me thinking. May tear down my aluminum cross bike and get a Surly and build one up. It has been awhile since I had a steel ride. Kinda wanting to get another one.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by LTT777 View Post
    WANT PICS NOW!!!

Congrats on the purchase!

I'll take some new ones, but here's a link to the classified ad that I bought it from...

http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=812217#p812217

I'll get some new ones up soon...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Very attractive bike! Now put a proper road rear derailluer on it a rip some trails!
    Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If that frame is in good shape (and fits you) then you need to apologize for that steal of steel! Wow, that is one great deal.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by vanjr View Post
    If that frame is in good shape (and fits you) then you need to apologize for that steal of steel! Wow, that is one great deal.
    It's been professionally stripped and powdercoated, but looks to be a very good condition. No dents or cracks and the serial number is very legible... :thumbup: