mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Help in buying a new CX bike

Hello all,
    Sorry to post another one of these but I could really use some help. I am just trying to get into cyclocross and want to purchase my first bike. I don't have any biking background but I know CX is the way I want to go. I don't have more than $1000 unfortunately and if I can go cheaper than that it would be great. Here is my only option at the moment:

2005 Bianchi Cross Concept - $800
    - only difference from stock is it has some Mavic Open Pro's
    - bike is in great shape

Can anyone let me know if that is a decent deal? Is there anything else you would recommend for the money?

Thanks a lot for any input!

TXTony
    No experience with the bike you are looking at..800 seems kind of high for a 2005 bike...check out bikesdirect.com. I have never used them but some guys around here have and seem to be happy with the bikes they got..second make sure you know what size cross bike you ride...you may want to go to a shop and talk to somewhere there about cross bikes..you can get a pretty decent new bike for around 1000 dollars these days....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. I was sized at a 61 which is what this is (I'm tall so it's really difficult to find anything used). Here is the bikepedia entry for this:
    2005 Bianchi Cross Concept - BikePedia

Granted, a lot of that stuff doesn't mean very much to me. The $800 was also my concern, however everything I have read says that Bianchi's hold their value really well.

I did also look at bikesdirect, but not having a lot of knowledge I'm really just staring at a list of specs that don't mean much to me.
    Save Up To 60% Off New Cyclocross Bicycles from bikesdirect.com. Great for commuting, racing or just having fun riding most anywhere.

They do have some options in the $500-$900 range that look interesting but I honestly don't really know.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by user4404 View Post
    Thanks. I was sized at a 61 which is what this is (I'm tall so it's really difficult to find anything used). Here is the bikepedia entry for this:
    2005 Bianchi Cross Concept - BikePedia

Granted, a lot of that stuff doesn't mean very much to me. The $800 was also my concern, however everything I have read says that Bianchi's hold their value really well.

I did also look at bikesdirect, but not having a lot of knowledge I'm really just staring at a list of specs that don't mean much to me.
    Save Up To 60% Off New Cyclocross Bicycles from bikesdirect.com. Great for commuting, racing or just having fun riding most anywhere.

They do have some options in the $500-$900 range that look interesting but I honestly don't really know.
    Looking at the specs the Bianchi looks nice...and some bikes do hold a certain value to extent..was it raced..taken care off and so on..how is the frame...how many miles on the drive train and other components..are you going to have to sink money in it to replace things...just a few things to sort out when buying a used bike..

Most of your entry level type bikes are going to have entry level stuff on them...not a bad thing..just a way to keep the price down on bikes..how are you going to use it..race..gravel..trails..

Being in your shoes I think I would go to a few shops in your area and see what they have to offer...even if you end up paying a little more you will have the experience of a shop...warranty..and other things a shop offers..like free basic tune ups and such..

Buying used can be great if you know what you are looking for or at...it is hard to give someone solid advice on a bike without seeing it...being new to the sport I think I would be more inclined to go the shop route or if possible see if the seller would meet you at a shop and let a mechanic go over it to make sure everything is good to go and negotiate that price

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks much. The bike is in good condition. It really looks pretty nice but I don't know much about it's history, including mileage. I definitely plan on riding road, dirt, gravel, trails if I can, and most likely at least a race or two next year.

I looked around at my LBS's and the cheapest I have found is a Kona Jake for $1100 which is out of my budget unfortunately. I don't mind doing bikes direct, I just don't know what my best option is there. If only money wasn't an issue

mtbr member
    buy through a bike shop, help keep cycling alive in your community and don't send your money to china.
    Nature never said one thing, and wisdom another...

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by user4404 View Post
    Thanks much. The bike is in good condition. It really looks pretty nice but I don't know much about it's history, including mileage. I definitely plan on riding road, dirt, gravel, trails if I can, and most likely at least a race or two next year.

I looked around at my LBS's and the cheapest I have found is a Kona Jake for $1100 which is out of my budget unfortunately. I don't mind doing bikes direct, I just don't know what my best option is there. If only money wasn't an issue
    Heck if you like it..and it will suit your needs...and can come to a price you both can deal with..go for it..as long as the frame is not cracked or has any damage parts can always be bought as they wear or you just get the itch to upgrade

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks guys. It is local so no worries there... Like I said, I just don't know much about it so I don't want to invest money in something that I shouldn't. Thanks for the input and happy 4th.