mtbr member
    Sep 2004

heel strike brake caliper chainstay mount soma double cross dc

Just curious if anybody else has encountered this... Running Avid BB7 mountain calipers (before you jump on me I'm also running compatible Tektro levers). Size 58 frame, size 46 sidi dominator.

Wondering if road calipers are more compact, less chance for heel strike? Otherwise might have to put some cantilevers on there, but the whole reason I went with this frame is to run disc brakes.

My concern is to strike the caliper with my heel and (best case) move the pads out of alignment or (worst case) really eff up the rear brake while 40 mph down steep gravel road (!)

mtbr member
    I don't think a heel strike during normal riding will have any effect on a properly installed/torqued brake caliper. If you take a look at this thread, you will find that although the anodizing is different, the aluminum 'body' of the Avid BB7 caliper is shared between road and mountain versions with the difference being in some of the internal components.

jrm
    mtbr member

Just checked out the geo chart

and the 50cm thru 66cm frames all share the same 425mm chainstay length. Thats 8 of 11 total sizes. You could consider shorter crankarms but i dont see that "fixing" your situation. Id take it up with SOMA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Did some more testing on the trainer. Riding with the Sidi's, I can't touch the caliper no matter what I do. But riding with street shoes (I'm running Shimano platform/spd pedals so I can ride up the the grocery store w/o bike shoes), I strike the caliper pretty easily. I haven't tried my other bike shoes (e.g. winter boots).

I think I can live with it, but surprised that it's even that close.

I did check out a buddy's road BB7's and they look identical to the mtb BB7's, just as you suggested ms6073.