mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Handspun Peloton Series Cross Disc wheelset - w/ A23s

Nice sale on a Velocity A23 / SRAM x.9 disc hub cross wheelset for $254.00 and free shipping:

Handspun Peloton Series Cross Disc Front Wheel 700c 32h SRAM X.9 / Velocity A23 / DT Competition All Front:

SKU: WE7304 1 $122.62

Handspun Peloton Series Cross Disc Front Wheel 700c 32h SRAM X.9 / Velocity A23 / DT Competition Rear:

SKU: WE7305 1 $130.95

The only downside, I have heard with these are that they are heavy/ but then again so am I. I like that they are disc hubs, but the A23s work with rim brakes - since my 2 cross bikes are one rim/ one disc. I actually plan to use these without rotors on my Cannondale X9 with rim brakes this season.

mtbr member
    The rear spacing on these is 135mm. Might not work with your non disc bike (most likely 130mm).

Otherwise, this is probably a solid setup!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    The rear spacing on these is 135mm. Might not work with your non disc bike (most likely 130mm).

Otherwise, this is probably a solid setup!
    Correct, my Cannondale has 130mm spacing per spec (but measures more like 132.5). I currently have 135mm 29er (Deore hubs) wheels and they fit fine, with only a slight pull to insert the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I wanted to get some wide clinchers, that are tubeless ready. The Stan's were out of my "modest" price range - so I have been looking for some Velocity A23's. These Handspuns were the best deal on disc hub A23s that I could find.

This discussion has made me wonder if the SRAM X.9 hubs (with 12 points of engagement) are inferior to the new Shimano 29er hubs with 32 POE:

Sram X9 rear hub ?

Others say that for cyclocross 12 points of engagement is fine, it is just technical uphill slow rock climbs on a MTB where the POE is important. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just an FYI, The rim does not have a machined brake surface. Disc brake only.
    Bummer, I need rim brakes for this season. Had to cancel the order with || Cycle Club Sports || Your On-Line Super Store for the best Parts, Gear and Accessories for Bicycling, Triathlon, Running, Swimming and Outdoor Adventures (which was super easy - instant Paypal refund after calling).

I like the width of the Velocity A23's - can you get them with a machined brake surface?

Human Test Subject
    Yeah, they come in both disc and rim options. People swear by 105/A23s for bombproof wheelsets.

here's a link to all the colors and crap you can order them in Velocity - A23 - 700c - MSW

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No, I don't have a local wheelbuilder (I am in Baltimore, MD).

I am looking at these: || Cycle Club Sports || Your On-Line Super Store for the best Parts, Gear and Accessories for Bicycling, Triathlon, Running, Swimming and Outdoor Adventures

I wish they put the machined surface Velocity A23 rims on the XT and SRAM disc hub versions (not just 105 and Ultegra) for dual duty. Any suggestions?

A23 'normally' for rim brakes...got a decent local wheelbuilder who can design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs??