Eli Broccoli

Hacking V-Brake arms to accommodate shorter pull.

Posted this in the brake forum but thinking I may have a bit more luck in the CX specific place.

I have a new build in the works and also have some old xtr m960 v-brakes in my parts bin. I am fully aware of the difference in pull ratios and don't want to just use a travel agent. Its winter and I have a bit of time before other parts come in.

My idea is this- cut the v brake arms and lower the noodle-stop and fixing bolt down the arm (to around 8cm) as the arm doesn't need to travel as far there. I would still run them as v-brakes, just lower on the arm.

Is this (am I) stupid? I have the tools necessary to cut/tap/clean up the arms, just a thought I had.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What about buying a set of Cane Creek vbrake compatible cx levers?

mtbr member
    Can't you buy cheap mini v brakes for like $20?! Sell your XTR and buy Tektros or spend a whopping 100 dollars and buy TRP's.

Eli Broccoli
    I think I'm going to give it a shot. I work in a shop so I do have access to cost as well as things are are designed for just that but I thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts on it. It kinda makes sense in my head but who knows. I'll update when I make the hack.

mtbr member
    You could totally sell those XTRs and buy some Mini Vs without losing any money. And save yourself a ton of time.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 123elizxcvbnm View Post
    Is this (am I) stupid?
    There are those that would say Yes. Hopefully the effects of the crack you smoked will wear off soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 123elizxcvbnm View Post
    I have the tools necessary to cut/tap/clean up the arms, just a thought I had.
    If I were you I would consider not thinking. It can get you in real trouble.

Seriously, Practice on some crappy V-Brakes first. If the experiment is a success then think about the XTR brakes. Good luck
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't experiment at all on anything. Even if you do a good job it's not going to be better than the TRP CX brakes. Sell your XTR and buy the correct brake.

or if you just like messing around, go for it.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Go for it. What could possibly go wrong?
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Go for it. What could possibly go wrong?
    Turning a set of $150 brakes into scrap aluminum.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Eli Broccoli
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Turning a set of $150 brakes into scrap aluminum.
    I paid forty so I'm less concerned.

I didn't think people would be so upset with an experiment. Just a thought. Buying new parts sucks (and I get COST!).

mtbr member
    No matter what you do to those xtr brakes, or if you get a set of real mini-v brakes, they won't work as well as unadulterated xtr brakes with a travel agent. Pad-to-rim tolerances are too tight with mini-v brakes to tolerate any mud at all. At least with travel agents you get good braking and reasonable clearance.

Better yet, just get some Avid Utimates. You won't be sorry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    just chop them and let us know how they turn out. Make sure to post some picks.