mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Gravel Road and Path / Doubletrack / Singletrack

I like a variety of riding and thought a thread for folks to share what type of bike they ride on a particular surface, and why, might be interesting. I think the 'why' may not always have to do with what works best, rather someone is looking for a challenge, or to try something new.

I ride all of the above (in the thread title). In addition I ride on the road, on a skinny tire road bike, and on singletrack with a FS mountain bike. I like all of my bikes and riding conditions/surfaces, but I sometimes question what bike is most fun (overall, and for each of the types of riding). In the end it's a personal choice and there is no wrong answer.

In addition to the skinny tire road bike and mountain bike, I also have a cross bike (aluminum frame, disks, 40mm tires that replaced the 35mm knobbies) and a steel frame touring type bike with 32mm tires.

For me, I've found the following bike/surface combinations work the best:

Gravel road/path: touring bike with 32mm tires. Where I ride this tire is enough, though I would put a larger tire on there if needed. The bike has long chain stays, so is stable and slow to turn, perfect for the gravel roads.

(Dirt) Doubletrack: the cross bike is great here. The 40mm tires absorb most of the feedback from the uneven dirt and small roots and rocks. Plus the doubletrack I ride has some twisty sections and I find the cross bike handling works well. I've also ridden a mountain bike on the same tracks but it's a bit overkill. The touring bike can do this too, but it seems less nimble.

Singletrack: I really enjoy my mountain bike. The full suspension works great and I can relax a little. I have tried my cross bike on these same trails and find that I'm beaten up pretty good afterwards, though it is fun and very challenging.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    For gravel, dirt, single track, this is the bike I ride:

It's a blast to ride. It's fast on just about anything other than the technical stuff, that's when I break out the mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davejs View Post
    For gravel, dirt, single track, this is the bike I ride:

It's a blast to ride. It's fast on just about anything other than the technical stuff, that's when I break out the mountain bike.
    Nice looking bike and great in-action photo.

Do you find that even on non-technical dirt/gravel that there are situations where you scrape by with the cross bike and wish you had the mountain bike, or after a long ride you think that may have been more enjoyable on a mountain bike?

Yesterday I was on double track (sections with gravel, and dirt) and found myself wishing for the mountain bike on two occasions: first was a steep descent that was twisty and where the gravel had sections with small ruts and washed out gravel. I had to brake very carefully and distribute my weight perfectly to maximize braking traction. Second was that at the end of the ride my arms/shoulders were stiff as I was spending too much time on the hoods (less upright time on the tops as I would on a road).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Where I live it is pretty flat land.. So, I don't get into much technical stuff. The main thing with a cross type bike offroad is that you need good bike handling skills. It's similar to a fully ridged mountain bike. You just have to pick good lines and develop a lot of "flow" on the bike. I haven't found that I would rather have a mountain bike on those trails - I don't think it would have been anymore or less enjoyable on a mountain bike. I usually hop on the mountain bike when I want to hit some jumps/drops etc.

Based on the description of what you were riding "steep descents that are washed out" that is usually better suited for a mountain bike. Flowing/smoothish single track, gravel roads, or dirt roads is where these type of bikes shine.