mtbr member

gravel grinder tires

Maybe I should have gone to the wheels and tires forum but I thought I would start here first: I am planning to set up ny Santa Cruz Stigmata CX bike as a gravel grinder and was looking for tire recommendations. Thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    What are you looking at for widths? What is your clearance in the rear? I'm thinking about riding the Pedal 50 (Frontrangegravel.com) and wondering what others are running for tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    Maybe I should have gone to the wheels and tires forum but I thought I would start here first: I am planning to set up ny Santa Cruz Stigmata CX bike as a gravel grinder and was looking for tire recommendations. Thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just did the Heck of the North up in Duluth. Gravel, road & trails. I ran the Conti Cyclocross Speed Clincher in 35mm width with some Mr Tuffy Ultra Lite tire liners. Worked like a champ. Did great in all but the deepest mud with no punctures when lots of others weren't so lucky.

Ride Everything
    I alternate between Clement X'Plor MSO and Kenda Happy Mediums. The latter measure out a little wider, but both offer good flotation.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It depends on what type of roads you will be riding. Most of my gravel roads are in pretty good shape and I tend to ride loops that include 35-40% pavement. On those rides, I use Conti Cyclocross Speeds. On rides that are more bad dirt roads than gravel, I will use something with some real knobbies to it. Depending on the road maintenance schedule, even my "good" gravel roads can be more suited to knobbies (particularly since everything I ride has long climbs, which can be a bear if the gravel is loose).

mtbr member
    When I rode Gravel Worlds, I saw tons of different tires but the ones that stood out to me were Bruce Gordon Rock n Roads and the Clement Xplor. Surly is coming out with a skinny Knard tire and people really dig the fat bike & 29er version.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. The Contis and Clements seem to have a lot of support and the new Kendas look good. Given the mixed conditions that make each race unique it seems that one might have to have a few different options for race day. I ride my CX bike on single track frequently as I can get bored with my FS MTB so I am not afraid of technical terrain. I use 35mm knobbies for this and have never tried the smoother types. Because I am old and slow I have more concerns about dropping too far back on the pavemet.

Ride Everything
    While they don't have much in the way of tread, the wider Panaracer Paselas work really well on hardpack dirt roads. I've also had good results from SOMA's New Xress (which has the same basic tread pattern). The stiffer holds up better against rocks, and makes the tire less squirmy when you drop the PSI.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Cx tires on gravel roads are overkill imo. a big road touring tire with some tread is money for comfort and rolling resistance.

Been using some wire bead Schawlbe Marathon 35mm. They're approaching 1k miles and still in good enough shape that I can't justify getting rid of them even though I want to.

Those SOMA's look good and are priced right.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Cx tires on gravel roads are overkill imo. a big road touring tire with some tread is money for comfort and rolling resistance.

Been using some wire bead Schawlbe Marathon 35mm. They're approaching 1k miles and still in good enough shape that I can't justify getting rid of them even though I want to.

Those SOMA's look good and are priced right.
    I was surprised at how well the SOMAs performed in snow:

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    is that on/near the Mayhoffer trail?

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    is that on/near the Mayhoffer trail?
    Yup. That's part of my commute between Superior and Boulder. Well, it was before the flooding and closure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I run the 650b SOMA New Xpress on my converted Bianchi, and I'm quite happy with them for all-surface riding. I don't feel they slow me down much at all on the road, either- I run them in all conditions and on all surfaces, which means mostly asphalt and concrete here. They've lasted 3500 miles so far, and I can count the flats I've had on one hand.