mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Frame Vs Group set

Hi guys,
    I am purchasing my first cross bike and have 2 bikes in mind; a '12 Cannondale Super x carbon with Rival components and a few Force upgrades or a '13 Specialized Crux disc. The specialized is aluminum but is totally tricked out; SRAM red and carbon throughout (cranks,stem, bars, everything) plus the discs. Both are spotless with little millage. I plan on racing a few cross races this year and probably using it as a road bike until next cross season.
    I currently ride a 20 yo 20lb steel road LeMonde I love with 20k+ and am wondering if it makes more sense to buy a better frame or a better group set if I am going to use it for both cross and as a replacement for my road bike until I can buy a new ride.
    Thanks!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Probably not helpful in any way - I own a 2013 Super X Ultegra Di2. It's easily the best bike (any sort of bike) I've ever ridden. Mine has the Himod frame and fork, Di2 and cantilevers brakes. The bike is incredible, way better than I'm capable of riding it.

This might be helpful - If you get the Super X and hate the brakes switch them to CX8 or CX9 with Kool stop pads and that should give you plenty of stopping power.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Do you plan to ride your cross bike on single track/anything more technical than gravel trails and grass? I have a fuji cross 1.1 disc (pretty inexpensive aluminum frame with carbon fork) built with a full force group and carbon bars, post, etc. I was riding some local singletrack with a friend of mine that just bought a carbon crux. It was nothing crazy, but there were some roots and rocks. He was riding up an uphill rock garden, lost momentum and tipped over slowly. He got up to find that his seat stay was cracked in half. I know I've crashed my fuji before and never had to worry about cracks.

Also, not sure if the super x has discs or not, but I love my disc brakes vs the cantis on my old cross bike

The Brutally Handsome
    Tough choice, could you ride both and see which one you like better? Is there a significant price difference? I usually go with the better frame and upgrade along the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks everyone. Same price point. The SuperX does not have discs. I a bit weary of buying a carbon frame used for the reason pointed out above. I am leaning towards the aluminum crux as it is not a slouch of a frame itself and the group set and discs are enticing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I pieced mine together, cheaper frame, better components. With the cost of replacing parts vs. cost of a decent frame, i wanted the parts higher quality to take the abuse that riding mtb trails will cause.