mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Frame similar to Cross Check but with better tubing?

I've got nothing against 4130 tubing. I'm just looking for a bit lighter frame with all the same rack mount options that would allow me to ride the bike for commuting/touring. Thinner walls shouldn't be a problem with touring for me since I don't carry heavy gear (<15lbs for a week including some food/drink)

I know I can get everything I want from a custom builder but I don't have the need (nor the money) for something other than stock stuff.

In case people are wondering, I'll be pairing the frame with SRAM Force and V-brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Check out the All-City Nature Boy Zona

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Interesting frame but it's SS/Fixed gear which isn't an option (48 mile commute to work that I hope to ride 2-3 times a week). I liked the fender mounts being hidden like that but it doesn't have any rear rack mount which could also be a problem. I don't need front rack mounts and can get by without rack mounts all together but would much prefer to avoid P clamps and seatpost mounted racks.

I took a look at the Macho Man but didn't see any benefit over a cross check material-wise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: Frame similar to Cross Check but with better tubing?

Reynolds is a lighter stronger thinner tube. Not sure of a company who makes them off hand. Crosschecks can be light if you pay attention to detail.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah, without going into it too much (lots of different options over various brands) I'm thinking that Reynolds 853 or Platinum OX would be the type of tubing I'm looking for.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jordo_99 View Post
    Yeah, without going into it too much (lots of different options over various brands) I'm thinking that Reynolds 853 or Platinum OX would be the type of tubing I'm looking for.
    Then you're thinking Gunnar.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

Expert Crasher

Frame similar to Cross Check but with better tubing?

Soma double cross
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    What is your price range? A Cross Check is a great all around budget frame and its awesome bang for the buck. As previously stated, they can be built respectively light. I built up a Charge Filter Cross with Force and a somewhat conservative build and it is light enough for me. I will weigh it tomorrow at work.

A cool option is a Handsome XOXO. It is Reynolds 631 but it is kinda old school with 26" wheels and a threaded fork.
    XOXO | Handsome Cycles

Maybe a Salsa Vaya too, 5 lbs 3 oz, tons of braze-ons and more. Not a super high-end tubeset but nice all around.
    Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Vaya 2

This is similar to what I bought. I got the frame on closeout from BTI and built it up more as a cross race bike instead of a commuter as pictured. Tange Infinity tubeset but only has braze-ons for fenders. You could run fenders and the rack with the same lower braze-on mounts and use a seatpost clamp adapter for the upper mounts.
    Charge Bikes Filter | Charge Bikes

There are a lot of options out there, you will find your fish in the sea!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So I got a Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross and I like it, it is supposedly a little lighter than the Cross Check and very similar except it doesn't have front rack mounts. Now I see they make a fancier version that weighs a little less and costs a lot more.

Good info here:

Black Mountain Cycles

and here:

Cross-Check | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Over the cross check, you save 4oz. going to a black mountain taiwan frame, then 5oz. more going to their US frame for a $150 and a $1250 price increase.

All of these are 4130 frames, I would think if you want lighter, you should go custom, but a light road frame is four pounds, so I don't think you are going to save much weight.

Of course, if you want to save real weight, buy a cross check and put a full carbon fork on it and you can beat any all-steel frameset. I want one of these, but the steel fork rides nicely, so I can't justify it:

Bikeman Carver Bikes Full Carbon Cyclocross Fork, 1-1/8'' Canti

mtbr member
    I had a Doublecross at the same time as my Crosscheck. While the DC had "name brand" tubing, I didn't think it rode any better than the CC. If anything, the CC was maybe slightly springier--perhaps because it was one size larger.

I used to have a Gunnar Crosshairs. That one DID ride notably better than most other bikes (but I sold it since it was too small). Keep your eye out for a used Gunnar--they depreciate very steeply for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    Soma double cross

mtbr member
    I was looking for the same thing and stumbled across a BMC Grandfondo GF02 Disc, and I just love this bike.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Consider a frame pack instead of a rack. Lighter and easily removed and you wont need mounts.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There is a lot more to it than just the brand of steel, such as butting and butt length. I rode a Macho Man and a Vaya back to back. The Macho Man was a very lively steel bike and rode very similarly to my TT Platinum OX Burly road bike. The Vaya rode more like a strong, over dampened frame. It wasn't too harsh and I'm sure it comes into it's own with a bit of weight packed on it, but the Macho Man was much more fun and alive. Definitely a bike to consider in my opinion, and now comes with disc brake option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch29 View Post
    I was looking for the same thing and stumbled across a BMC Grandfondo GF02 Disc, and I just love this bike.
    This got me curious, then I saw it was made of aluminum. Sad trombone.

Good call on the Gunnar's. I don't have the money now, but in the future I will most certainly be ebaying Gunnar's!

jrm
    mtbr member
    on - one kaffenback/pompino/pompedimen
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Consider a frame pack instead of a rack. Lighter and easily removed and you wont need mounts.
    Yeah, I've already got plans to do it without a rack...it's just that I'd really like the ability to use it for grocery shopping. As for the rack-less packs:

A hobby of mine is making (sewing) tents and backpacks. I've got designs and plans to make a set of "rackless" packs similar to what Revelate does but in cuben fiber since I won't be going over rough terrain.

...long story short, once I find time to finish it up I'll should have a rear/frame/handlebar setup to hold a weeks worth of gear (but only 3 days of food/water)...the goal is a total weight of 1lb or less but 1.5lb is almost a certainty for all 3 packs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I thought I should follow-up on this thread.

After getting fit at my LBS I noticed that they carried the Surly Cross Check and All City Macho Man. I'm going to start trying to sell some bikes to make room for one of those and then test ride each to see which I like better.

On paper it's looking like the Macho Man will be better for my needs (cyclocross/road geometry with some commuter/touring aspects coming in 2nd).

I'm still open to other stuff but the next best thing for me would probably be to pay for a handmade frameset (looking at GeekHouse or Tetcycles as they're close) and I don't think that I'm willing to cough up the extra cash as I'm saving up for a Grim Brothers power meter (speedplay cleat based -- set for early 2014)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The macho man looks pretty awesome. Definitely have my eye on one of the new disc versions. Sounds like it would fit what you're looking for

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Then you're thinking Gunnar.
    +1 on the Gunnar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jordo_99 View Post
    I'm still open to other stuff
    If your search for a frame did not yet come to a satisfying end
    take a look at the Genesis Day One with Reynolds 853 tubing. Could be a candidate...

mtbr member
    I looked at the Genesis site. Very nice bikes. I particularly liked the Fugio.

mtbr member
    Yes, they really have more than one good looking frame!

mtbr member
    Is that a rock?
    No! Rock Lobster!
    That's my dream cyclocross/Cross Check replacement. For only a bit more the All-City Spacehorse is a good option.

mtbr member
    I have an AC Nature Boy and I can confirm that it is a very nice ride. I know you said not SS and the Macho Man is pretty sweet geared up! Spacehorse could also be a nice do it all alternative. They call their stuff "615 select" which just is a fancy word for size specific selected 4130. I dunno, mines light but it is a SSer, so it better be! They didn't make the Zona in my itty bitty size or I would have gotten that instead.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy