mtbr member
    May 2010

Foundry Auger First Ride

Just had a chance to get out on an Auger for a little bit.

Full details here.

Short take: Very positive–moreso than I thought. I’ve followed Foundry on Facebook, and have appreciated their enthusiastic approach to starting a new line of bikes. I’ve also appreciated their candor in discussing issues with the production of their now-stillborn 29er carbon hardtail (and I salivate looking at its replacement that is under development). In spending a little time with the Auger, it’s evident that a great deal of thought and consideration went into the design. Saying that it is thoughtfully designed is about as high of praise as I can offer. I came away from my test ride wanting to slap on some Candys, clip in, and go hammer some gravel. It left me wanting more. And for me to consider riding a bike other than the Vaytanium on gravel…well, that takes a pretty darn nice bike. Hopefully, in the coming weeks I’ll get a chance to spin around a little more on the Auger, and drill down a little deeper on this review.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow, that great to hear. I'm interested in one myself.

Teen Wolf
    yay for more cross bikes with disc brakes!

mtbr member
    Yes, let us know what you think once you've ridden it more and how it compares to other bikes.

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    First ride this weekend. Picked up a stock Auger with SRAM Red. Switched out saddle, skewers and a few other odds and ends. Will eventually swap out bars, post, stem and cassette in order to drop another lb or so.

Did a 35 mile dirt/gravel/road loop with tons of climbing. What a great bike. super light, super stiff, super forgiving in the rough stuff. Fits better and is more comfortable than my road bike ever was. Transfer of power is instant. Absolutely no give in the BB area, and I'm 6/1 200 and I like to grind big gears.

QBP/Foundry has done a great job with this bike, and I'm even thinking of getting the 29er Foundry next year, set up SS.

Did I catch a niner?
    Got to see one at the launch party here in MN (Angry Catfish) and was very impressed by this frame more then any other bike they had displayed. I am torn between this and a Dirty Disco (have big favor towards On-One bikes).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    I was looking at the DD as well. I sent Planet X a request, they said they'd come up with a build list/price for me but never came through. I thought the DD would be a better price, but my LBS did me right w 20% the msrp, so it was right in line with On-One.

I gotta say, rode some local single track last night on it, and this thing is a blast. instant feedback with every pedal. Also, it's super light, and seems to track really well. I am ecstatic about this bike so far.

comparing to the DD, which is a bit heavier and does not have internal cable routing, I'd lean towards the Auger, though I am not sure you could go wrong with either.