Thread: fmb tubs

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

fmb tubs

Does anyone know the difference between the White and Black rubber treads on fmb tubular Tires? More specific im thinking about the gripo xl

Sconie
    I ran into the same question when i bought mine last year and all I could come up with is that the white treads are requested by some dealers who order batches and sometimes refer to them as "special edition". I got mine with the white tread from Portland Bicycle Studio. They also have some that have colored sidewalls that are supposed to be functionally different than the standard sidewall, but I don't think the thread color offers any difference in performance between white and black.

mtbr member
    Can't speak from experience on tread color but as already mentioned, like colored sidewalls (black/greeen/pink), I bet white versus black tread indicates special order tires. As for sidewalls, For the cotton cased models, while all FMB CX tubulars have a factory sidewall coating, from my understanding the 'Pro' descriptor refers to tires with added sidewall material aimed at preventing folder over of the tire during hard cornering. The 'Super' descriptor has both an additional 0.8mm thick x 25 mm wide latex band under the tread area surrounding the entire tube to provide additional puncture protection as well as additional latex sidewall protection to help shed water.