mtbr member

Flared drop bars

I just got a new cx bike and immediately hate the handlebar. Too much reach, too much drop, no extension on the ends so i have no choice but to brace my forearms against the top bar when reaching for the drops. Ouch.

I am not looking for dirt drops that are meant to be ridden and the hooks most of the, but something with a flat top/ brake hood position, shallow drop, and a long, slightly flared drop and ends. I don't know how to tell the difference between real dirt drops and road drops with a little flare.

Recommendations? I had some Cowbell 2s at one point and those were nice. I would imagine that Woodchippers and Midge bars would be too "dirt drop"-ish, right?

Cheap option from Origin8, Soma, etc

I see a few option with varying amount of "flare". So what is the point of more flareand les flare"
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 01-13-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Iíve never tried them but I believe 3ttt makes a bar called the Ergoterra. Also Easton has a new flared bar, the AX. The others are to monstercross.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've got a Salsa Bell Lap bar that's much less extreme than say a dirt drop but more flare than flared road bars. Short drop, normal hood position.

They didn't work for me, too wide. If you'd like to try them for shipping cost, PM me. Oh, 26mm.

Live Free & Ride
    Check out the Ritchey VentureMax. Should be able to find them reduced price online....

Evo sweep of 6 degrees
    24 degrees of flare
    Ergo Bio-bend
    Compatible with all hood types

https://ritcheylogic.com/venturemax-handlebar

https://ritcheylogic.com/comp-venturemax

Ritchey Design VentureMax Handlebar: Quick Review -
    17 Moto Ti cross
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR

Wanna ride bikes?
    Salsa Cowchippers
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm not aware of any bar that meets all your requirements.

Now, if the Satori-X Race Aero bar had further-rear-extending drops, then it would be the one. Have it on my gravel bike.

3T is coming out with a couple of gravel bar designs this year, but their specs are not released yet.

Ambassador of Chub
    Check out the Soma 'Junebug' & Nitto 'Randonneur'

And 2nded on the Ritchey VentureMax - my current favorite.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Current tossup between Cowbells and Venturemax. I have used Cowbells before and liked them. I suspect that something closer to a road bar woud be better.

Cowbell 2 and 3- looks like the only difference is 6000 7000 aluminum. What's the significance?

Cowchippers are still and option as well.

All of these are cheap, so I guess I can't lose by trying the most radical one and selll/ trading it if it's too much.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Wanna ride bikes?
    I Took some side by side pics for you. Salsa Cowchipper with Blue tape, Cowbells with no tape.

The main difference, aside from the obvious fact that the Cowchippers have a bit more flare, is that the hoods are slightly tilted on the Cowchippers and vertical on the Cowbells.

I just switched my cross bike to the Cowchippers after trying true dirt drops (On One Midge) on my Monstercross bike. I wanted more flare, I spend most of my time offroad though, and hit a fair amount of singletrack too.

If I were to build a dedicated cross race bike, or if that was my bikes main purpose I would use the Cowbells. And likely will again for that application. But as it is, I ride year round for fun and only do a few (4-8) cross races each year so I favor the Cowchippers, FWIW.

Here's some comparison pics that may help.

Flared drop bars-img_6416.jpg

Flared drop bars-img_6417.jpg

Flared drop bars-img_6419.jpg

Flared drop bars-img_6420.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I just got a new cx bike and immediately hate the handlebar. Too much reach, too much drop, no extension on the ends so i have no choice but to brace my forearms against the top bar when reaching for the drops. Ouch.

I am not looking for dirt drops that are meant to be ridden and the hooks most of the, but something with a flat top/ brake hood position, shallow drop, and a long, slightly flared drop and ends. I don't know how to tell the difference between real dirt drops and road drops with a little flare.

Recommendations? I had some Cowbell 2s at one point and those were nice. I would imagine that Woodchippers and Midge bars would be too "dirt drop"-ish, right?

Cheap option from Origin8, Soma, etc

I see a few option with varying amount of "flare". So what is the point of more flareand les flare"
    I bought a Kona Super Jake this fall and it came with a "Kona Road Light Bar." It has a little bit of a flare and it feels like it's 46mm wide. Perhaps they have a couple different widths as well. So far I like it and have no plans to replace it.

mtbr member
    I also bought a super jake, I think easton makes the bar because the dimensions are identical to the Easton AX. I bought their carbon flared bar, the CX I think, and it is sweet. Great control for technical descents.
    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I just got a set of EA70 AX's in a 44cm.

Super comfortable,and 44cm feels crazy wide.