Wrench

First race. It's about time.

So I've done a lot of racing. USAT Triathlon, Marathons, XTERRA triathlon, duathlons on/off road, XC mountainbike, Endurance mountainbike, etc.

I also worked for three years as a mechanic and salesperson at a bike shop while in college.

But I have never done a cross race.

Well a little less than a year ago I fell into a cross bike. My buddy traded me a trainer for a cross bike, sans drivetrain. I built it up as a around-town single speed while I finished out some college work. Cyclocross had interested me, but there were no races in my area.

Well then I moved to Austin for a job. They've got a super neat race series in the fall/winter called Dirt Derby. It's a mountain bike, cyclocross, kids race, beginner/intermediate/open level WEEKLY race series.

Best part? It's at a motocross track!

So with this kind of set-up, a cheap entry fee, and weekly races, it would be stupid of me NOT to slap the knobbies on this bike and take it out!

Last night I went out to the track and paid the man for the beginner race. It's a 20 minute race for those new to the sport. After a practice lap, where I studied the other riders carefully, we were off!

I managed to emulate their style enough to pull of a flying dismount.

I'll reiterate, my first attempt at a flying dismount was in my first cyclocross race ever.

I'm so happy to not have tripped up!

After placing 5th out of 17 riders in the beginner race, I decided to pay for the intermediate race. This was a 30 minute race, to be held right after the intermediate MTB race.

After the le mons start, we were off! I was racing with much faster people this time, but managed to stay up near mid-pack.

Overall it was a fantastic time and a wonderful venue. Best part about it were all the very steep climbs.

And, this is always encouraging to see!

So if anyone's in Austin, TX on Tuesday nights and need something to do, this is the place to be!

mtbr member
    That event looks like a blast. Would be great if we had something like that in my area on a weekly basis.
    Signature

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Hahaha... Domo-kun at the end is a nice touch.

Wrench
    I'm certainly eagerly awaiting next week's race, that's for sure.

jct
    mtbr member
    so you're hooked right??

Wrench
    Already have my entry fee for next week taken care of.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Wow, that looks like a great race series. Good post/pics.