mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Economical CX wheelset

I needed a last minute wheel set for my SSCX rig(also plan on using this for a future 2x10 rig) and found this:

Velocity A23 Black Shimano 105 5700 32 Hole Hubs Wheelset [73219] - $189.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

The price point seems right and my buddy suggested A23's for cross. Anyone with past experience with 105 hubs?
    Also, are there any issues that would arise when using spacers?

mtbr member
    That is an excellent economical CX wheelset. I'm running those wheels on my bike currently and know a few other people running them as well. They're very strong and are able to be set up tubeless as well. As far as the hubs go, it depends on how hard you ride, what conditions you ride in, and how you clean the bike. Since they are loose ball, they'll require a little more maintenance each season, but if you clean out the hubs once or twice a season and repack with fresh grease, there's no reason they won't last for a very long time. It all depends on where and how you ride, though. More mud and water = more maintenance. You won't have any issues running spacers with a single cog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    That is an excellent economical CX wheelset.
    All of my bikes have Shimano hubs with loose ball bearings, with proper mainteinance will last a very long time just like sasquatch stated. I determined quite some time ago that I am not a better rider than Deore/105 are components.