~ B A D A S S ~

Dropbar and brake lever types

There are lots of different dropbar types out there I have noticed. And I wonder what the difference is between them.

I have seen regular dropbars, a slightly longer and bigger type (looks older style), then there are flared mountaindrops, and then there are short reach ones, then there are some labeled as ergos, and so forth.

I wonder whats most comfortable when sprinting or in the drops generally.
    The drops can be a continuous convex bend (away from you) or one thats concave at the middle kinda but also totally flat/straight models, and I wonder whats really most ergonomic out of those variants.

Also, brake levers. I'm planning to get brake only levers and I wonder if those can be had with the cables coming out from the top or at the sides, I have seen many levers with cables coming out from the sides but I guess those are actually the shifter cables.

Which have the best solid feel of these brake only levers? Shimano, Diacompe (from velo orange), tektro/cane creek (I've read these are the same). Are there any more?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    There are lots of different dropbar types out there I have noticed. And I wonder what the difference is between them.

I have seen regular dropbars, a slightly longer and bigger type (looks older style), then there are flared mountaindrops, and then there are short reach ones, then there are some labeled as ergos, and so forth.

I wonder whats most comfortable when sprinting or in the drops generally.
    The drops can be a continuous convex bend (away from you) or one thats concave at the middle kinda but also totally flat/straight models, and I wonder whats really most ergonomic out of those variants.

Also, brake levers. I'm planning to get brake only levers and I wonder if those can be had with the cables coming out from the top or at the sides, I have seen many levers with cables coming out from the sides but I guess those are actually the shifter cables.

Which have the best solid feel of these brake only levers? Shimano, Diacompe (from velo orange), tektro/cane creek (I've read these are the same). Are there any more?
    Bar bend and width is personal preference. Some riders like the ergo bends. I can not stand them. I also prefer flared dropbars, especially for riding in the drops.

The short reach/shallow drop bars are generally easier to setup for a higher bar position.

The levers are similar. Other than making sure you have a long cable pull (V-brake, mtb disc) or short pull (road brake, canti, road disc) lever, the differences are in the shape, and how it fits your hands. The function varies little.

These days you will be hard pressed to find anything but "aero" brake levers with the brake cable running out the back and under the grip tape.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

~ B A D A S S ~
    I think I'm gonna go with medium/small/none flare and straight or reverse bend in the drops, it makes most sense to me. It appears to follow the hands most ergonomically. Looks that way at least.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Bro Mountainbiker
    If you are riding dirt/singletrack, flared bars rule. Every little bit extra helps. I have been on salsa Cowbell 2s and they are by far the best CX handlebars of all time.

Short and shallow (dont need too much aerodynamics in CX) but the flare makes for great control in S.T. and gravel. Also conformable on the hoods(try that with a salsa woodchipper style bar... NOT)

If you like ergo bars, ritchey biomax have some flare. Not sure how much though.

Seriously though, Cowbells are the only option!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

jrm
    mtbr member

Cantis or V's?

cantis = the most comfortable lever ive used is the CC Compact. The hoods form a real comfortable shelf for the hands. and the reach is short.

V's= IMO the CC v lever are far more comfortable then the diacomps.

I'll 2nd the Cowbell rec. If you this route get the 46c.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys