Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Drop bars

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19

    Drop bars

    Have some Salsa Bell Laps but looking for a shorter drop. Any opinions on the Salsa Cowbell 2 or 3?

  2. #2
    shut up legs
    Reputation: MTSHANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    158
    like the cowbells better than Bell Laps...less reach easy to go down if needed
    Salsa Mukluk | Salsa Fargo | Surly Krampus
    Mountain Cycle Stumptown

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    75
    I have the cowbell 2's and love them

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomzat View Post
    Have some Salsa Bell Laps but looking for a shorter drop. Any opinions on the Salsa Cowbell 2 or 3?
    I was where you were about a year ago. Loved teh Bell laps on the road but couldnt stand them on dirt so I swapped them for the cowbells and havent looked back.

  5. #5
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,983
    Anyone try something like the On-One Midge for CX?
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,013
    I also went from Bell Laps to Cowbells and love'em. Great bars!

  7. #7
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,233
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Anyone try something like the On-One Midge for CX?
    That's what I'm using on my Nature Boy. I love them off road, and I'm liking them all around actually.

    Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

    http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

  8. #8
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,217

    Midge vs. Cowbell

    The flare of the midges combined with the angle of the brake/hood really reeked havoc with my wrists. The arm pump was really bad b/c i was having to use alot more hand strength to keep my hands on the brake/hoods which made braking really tough as my hands fatiqued. With less flare then the midges the cowbells angle of the brake/hoods has really improved my comfort level riding and braking from the brake/hoods. Id love the midge if the flare was reduced but it retained the same drop.

  9. #9
    hispanic mechanic
    Reputation: sslos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,233
    I can see where that could happen. That's why it's best to try stuff out prior to race season!

    Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

    http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,223
    I bought an $800 Focus CX bike, because I wanted a road bike that could take non-racer width tires. I hated the stock bar, and just switched it out for a Cowbell 3 (also went up to a 46cm). Love the new bar.

  11. #11
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,137
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    The flare of the midges combined with the angle of the brake/hood really reeked havoc with my wrists. The arm pump was really bad b/c i was having to use alot more hand strength to keep my hands on the brake/hoods which made braking really tough as my hands fatiqued. With less flare then the midges the cowbells angle of the brake/hoods has really improved my comfort level riding and braking from the brake/hoods. Id love the midge if the flare was reduced but it retained the same drop.
    Midge bars are designed to be ridden in the drops as the main "power" position. I do ride on the hoods but not for anything too rough or aggressive.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,946
    Hmmm, just marking my place. Carry on.

  13. #13
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,983
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Midge bars are designed to be ridden in the drops as the main "power" position. I do ride on the hoods but not for anything too rough or aggressive.
    Ok so the angle of the drops is meant to be the main position while riding. I am debating on whether to get the Midge or the Cowbell as my next upgrade to my Jake. I ride on the hoods for most of my commuting and for the road rides we do but I find as I get a bit more tired my wrists tend to want to flex outward in what I would assume would be the angle of the hoods for the Midge. I really have only been in the drops when I get a long stretch of road where I am pulling a pretty good clip.

    Suggestions?

    So looking comparatively the Bell Lap says they have 12degrees of flare at the drops and the Midge says 113degrees of flare at the ends.. So if my thoughts and "minds-eye" are correct then the Midge has quite a bit more flare at the drops than the Bell Lap 3?
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

  14. #14
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,902
    Your handlebars might be a bit wide for you, if I read you right.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  15. #15
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,217

    If you, like me ride the hoods

    most of time i say run with the cowbells. You can always adjust the levers position on the bar to find the comfort zone. What size are you considering? i ride 46s b/c i like um roomy

  16. #16
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,983
    I am still new to road biking and my Jake currently runs 42cm bars stock on my Jake. I could see going to something a slight bit wider, so might try the 44 or 46.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

  17. #17
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,137
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Ok so the angle of the drops is meant to be the main position while riding. I am debating on whether to get the Midge or the Cowbell as my next upgrade to my Jake. I ride on the hoods for most of my commuting and for the road rides we do but I find as I get a bit more tired my wrists tend to want to flex outward in what I would assume would be the angle of the hoods for the Midge. I really have only been in the drops when I get a long stretch of road where I am pulling a pretty good clip.

    Suggestions?

    So looking comparatively the Bell Lap says they have 12degrees of flare at the drops and the Midge says 113degrees of flare at the ends.. So if my thoughts and "minds-eye" are correct then the Midge has quite a bit more flare at the drops than the Bell Lap 3?
    Commuting I spend most of my time on the hoods, too (Midge bars).
    I have the palm of my hands on the sides of the brake lever body. Feels totally natural to me. May be because of the many years I have used flared drops. Road dropbars now look and feel like they have negative flare to me. Can barely ride on them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  18. #18
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13,902
    I could never get the Jake's stock bars to work that well for me. When I bent them, it was the excuse I needed to put on something I like better. On my bike, the FSA Compact. I have a Wing on one bike and an Omega on the Jake.

    Edit: Relevant because the FSA Compact bend has a little bit of flare, which I really like.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  19. #19
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,061
    another option is the salsa woodchipper, somewhere in between the midge and cowbell
    run these on a fargo and they are great on single track

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,535
    I have the Easton EA70 bar on my CX bike, which I bought for width (46cm) and short drop. The reach and drop are nearly identical to the Cowbell 2.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Ok so the angle of the drops is meant to be the main position while riding. I am debating on whether to get the Midge or the Cowbell as my next upgrade to my Jake. I ride on the hoods for most of my commuting and for the road rides we do but I find as I get a bit more tired my wrists tend to want to flex outward in what I would assume would be the angle of the hoods for the Midge. I really have only been in the drops when I get a long stretch of road where I am pulling a pretty good clip.

    Suggestions?
    I ride with the hoods as the main position.

    When I install drop bars I do the following to get a good fit:
    1. Make sure I like the stem reach/height
    2. Adjust the angle of the bars with my hands in the drops so it is comfy for an aero tuck as well as descending
    3. Adjust the position of the brake levers so I have a comfy hood position as well as an easy to reach brake lever from the drops. This is an up/down the bar as well as in/out angle of the levers.
    4. Tape the housing to the bars and wrap them with my favorite bar tape.

    I pretty much ride with the hoods as far forward as is comfortable for descending with my hands on the hoods. Too far forward and I feel like I might lose my grip.

  22. #22
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,983
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I ride with the hoods as the main position.

    I pretty much ride with the hoods as far forward as is comfortable for descending with my hands on the hoods. Too far forward and I feel like I might lose my grip.
    So you are talking about the position of the hoods/brifters in relation to the bend in the bars correct?
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    So you are talking about the position of the hoods/brifters in relation to the bend in the bars correct?
    Yep. Too far back/up and I get wrist pain, too far forward and I feel like my hands will slip up and over the shifter bump when descending. Plus too high up pulls the brake lever farther away while in the drops.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    12
    will take good vibrrations

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vaultbrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    807
    Big fan of flared, "off road" drops. In the right place, they are trés comfy in all hand places

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •