mtbr member
    May 2007

do it all cx bike

I'm interested in getting a stout cx bike suitable for xc loops and can serve as a decent road commuter bike. The new 2014 Marin cortina t3 looks well equipt.. does anyone have one yet, and can tell me if there are eyelets by the drop out? There is no mention on their website. Thanks

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    Giant Revolt. I have seen and ridden it. If I have room for one more bike, this would be the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'M. 5'11" and I gave the M/L and L Revolt bikes a try, and although they felt stout, the geometry was too tame. I'd perfer a more classic cx design. Anyone with marin cortina experience? The 58cm seat tube / 56cm top tube sounds perfect for me.

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    I've ridden last year's (aluminum) Cortina. Totally respectable cross bike. A little heavy, but I assume the new ones are lighter, given that they are carbon. Can't tell you about eyelets.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    How about Surly?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardpapa View Post
    How about Surly?
    Yea, Cross Check or Straggler. Done.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Not Bad

do it all cx bike

Trek CrossRip, I've got over 1100 miles on mine since August and cannot rate it high enough. 😊

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What's your price point? As mentioned above, a Surly Cross Check/Straggler will fit the bill. I also like the Salsa Vaya's.

cmorrow001
    May 2011
    Kona also has some bikes within what you are looking for. I'm riding a Jake The Snake now but enjoyed my test rides on the Jake and Rove.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    There's some good options here. Any of 'em carried by your local shops?

Also, Macho Man Disc. Hidden mounts. ED coated (straggler is, too).

For a commuter I'd strongly recommend steel, ride quality alone.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I just got my new trek cross rip comp a week ago, and I agree with just j this bike is amazing!! I have already put over 300 miles onto it in the little time I have owned it and it is by far the jack of all trades! I have mine set up for commuting to school, but am planning on racing in the local cx races, and running with my dads road team come the spring race. Really good bike for $1000!!! Highly recommend!!
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think any cross bike is a "do it all" bike! that's the point! Last night I went for an hour and a half ride in the dark, rode on: pavement, snowy pavement, gritty pavement, dirt road, wet dirt road, icy dirt road. Go anywhere. I prefer discs. And the best tire clearance you can find. My Redline is tight with 40c on mtn rims....wish there was a little more space. Also critical is what sort of cockpit setup you prefer. If you want a roadie position with big saddle to bar drop, there are more race oriented cx frames for that. Then there are the Crossrip etc more commuter oriented with taller headtubes for a more moderate position. I looked at a lot of frames, if the Surly Straggler had been out I would have gotten it. I now know I dislike carbon forks for dirt roads, too stiff. I also prefer a frame with generous BB drop (~70mm) which took quite a few out of the running for me. Vaya looks great for the 3 hour plus type rides, but long ass chainstays would suck on any trails. I think the Kona Jake/Rove etc are great. Lifetime frame warrantee too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm interested in Giant's offerings partly due to having 3 Giant dealers....but not one plans to carry the line. Odd.

AZ
    banned
    Niner

RLT 9

mtbr member
    Dude. Seriously, Surly or a Surly knockoff (Fyxation Quiver, Pake C'Mute).

Wide clearance = Monster Cross.
    Horizontal Drops = Single/Fixed Cross
    Mounts everywhere = Touring Cross
    Steel = Sturdy/Comfie Cross

People race em, tour on em, commute em, kill em, bomb em, wreck em. I ****ing love my Cross-Check.

In my opinion, canti brakes are still the way to go. Dick brakes are not worth it. (Hell even the pros hardly race with dick brakes, they mostly still prefer canti brakes).

mtbr member
    I just bought a used Tri-cross Comp from my LBS, he is wanting something different. I borrowed it a few weeks ago to do a 30 mile paved/gravel ride and I loved the ride. Less then a year old and it has Whisky fork, cowbells and CG-R seatpost. I have some Iron Cross wheels coming and Clement tires to put on them. Have option of running tubeless but limited to 45 psi max on the wheels. Can still run tubes for higher pressure. Apex/FSA drivetrain is stock so that may be next. Good enough for now though.
    Coming off a Spec Stumpy hard tail 1x9 with Borough tires as my gravel/adventure bike. Looking forward to something different.
    If the path ahead looks dangerous ------- it probably is!

mtbr member
    Bianchi Volpe is another good all rounder bike that will go anywhere and carry anything. Volpe looks a lot like the Surly Cross Check, steel frame and fork, pretty much the same component spec. Haven't compared geometry #s, but I'd bet they're not far apart. Price comparison and dealer availability would be the determining factors for which of them to go with. I have a 12 year old Volpe, and from what I see, they haven't changed much (if any) through the years. Well, other than the price anyway, new Volpe is around $300 more than I gave for mine.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Salsa Vaya. One of the most versatile, comfortable bikes you'll ride. Disc brakes, chainstays wide enough to accommodate 1.9'' tires, bulletproof steel construction, the list goes on. Works great as a road, cross and gravel grinder!

mtbr member
    I am liking my Pake C'mute. You should be able to fit 45mm tires in it. A bit cheaper than a Cross Check. Put a Surly fork on it and you're done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I am liking my Pake C'mute. You should be able to fit 45mm tires in it. A bit cheaper than a Cross Check. Put a Surly fork on it and you're done.
    You can get CC's for $360 shipped, so I'd say price factor is a wash. I like the CC for bigger tire clearance, but like the C'Mute for the taller head tube.

mtbr member
    true, the C'mute does not come with a fork like the Crosscheck does, so it might be more expensive in the long run. but then you get to choose a potentially nicer fork and not get "stuck with" a Surly fork (not that the CC fork is a bad fork). I heard not-nice things about the Pake fork, so buying a nicer fork will probably cost more. the features on the two frames are just about identical, so it depends more on which geo you prefer.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I dont really think you can buy a do it all bike off a showroom floor. I'd suggest buying a frame and then personalizing the bike to your liking. Im riding a discontinued Swobo Crosby but if i were shopping for a frame now id consider a singular kite, SC stigmatic (if you can find one), fisher presidio, Salsa warbird, vaya or used chili. A very good cross check/pake alternative for a few $$ more is the black mountain CX or monster CX frameset. Oh also check out this place called sellwoodcycles.com in portland. They have a lot of good deals on CX frames.