Thread: Discs and axles

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Discs and axles

Just wondering if any of the cyclocross guys are thinking about or running discs? This http://www.hartlett.co.uk/hw.htm was designed with mountain bikes in mind but will work on front or rear from 15mm up.
    Maybe it's a matter of time before shimano do a cyclocross specific something or other.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by nickhart View Post
    Just wondering if any of the cyclocross guys are thinking about or running discs? This http://www.hartlett.co.uk/hw.htm was designed with mountain bikes in mind but will work on front or rear from 15mm up.
    Maybe it's a matter of time before shimano do a cyclocross specific something or other.
    There is a difference between "quick release" and "tool free". IMO no through axle is quick release.

Though dropout tabs have neutered them for forks, a true QR allows the wheel to drop out of the frame/fork simply by opening the lever.

Everything else is just tool free.

I still like and use QRs, even with disc brakes, and have removed the tabs on most of my forks with no problems.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I noticed AmClassic now has a disc hub with a new twist that combines a quick release with the improved stiffness of a nearly through axle but the catalog only lists 32 hole drillings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not being funny shaggy but our axle is quicker than a traditional qr with the tabs still in place on the forks. It's even quicker on the rear as there is nothing for the chain to get caught on.
    Those tabs are there for a litigation reason after a few folks wheels pulled out on mtb's back in the day when discs were new. I hope it doesn't happen to you.

jrm
    mtbr member

There's also the DT RWS 9mm thru axle

I'd love to run one but my DT 350 cant be converted. Disc wise, yeah im considering them for sure. One big thing holding me back is jamming a 135mm spaced hub wheel with a 38mm tire, with a 160mm disc into a 132.5mm spaced frame. Its already a PITA without a 160mm disc.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I like the idea Nick, but yet another axle type will be a hard sell. The sad thing about modern QR's is the "lawyer tabs" that make removal a PITA because a few dipshits couldn't figure it out. Even today, I still see people on bike paths riding with their QR levers straight out because they could not figure out (or the bike shop didn't show them) how to close them properly. Swapping a wheel in the middle of a CX race sucks, and these make it worse, but if you file them down, your warranty is void.