Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Its probably a Civia.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Its has Surlys horizontal dropouts on it so I'd hazard a guess at it being a proto (or more likely personal project) of the employee.

Dont know why the OP is so hung up on getting a 'cross-check disc' tho, plenty of alternative out there that do what you want, and a CC with discs would just not be a CC, it would spoil/destroy/ruin everything that bike is about. If Surly do make a cross bike with discs (entirely possible) it wont be a CC, it will be good/amazing/awesome etc. but it wont be a CC, not the way all the current owners see it anyway.

mtbr member
    Maybe a Vaya-esque surly? That would be a fun bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Maybe a Vaya-esque surly? That would be a fun bike
    But with track ends for singlespeed, please!

mtbr member
    ^Like a 700c Troll, but leave the huge tire clearance to the KM. The megatroll could use similar tubing to the LHT or maybe a mix of CC and LHT tubes.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Its has Surlys horizontal dropouts on it so I'd hazard a guess at it being a proto (or more likely personal project) of the employee.

Dont know why the OP is so hung up on getting a 'cross-check disc' tho, plenty of alternative out there that do what you want, and a CC with discs would just not be a CC, it would spoil/destroy/ruin everything that bike is about. If Surly do make a cross bike with discs (entirely possible) it wont be a CC, it will be good/amazing/awesome etc. but it wont be a CC, not the way all the current owners see it anyway.
    There are NOT "plenty of alternatives out there". Go ahead and list all the versatile steel cyclocross frames out there that have disc brakes, a horizontal top tube, cost less than $600, and are available as a frameset only. The Vaya is the closest thing, but that sloping top tube is extremely ugly. Blech.

Nobody is asking Surly to replace the Crosscheck, just add a different version. Those of you who like the old version wouldn't have to buy a Discocheck. If it had front and rear rack mounts, a horizontal top tube, and the disc brake tucked in between the seat and chain stays, I'd buy one to replace my Salsa La Cruz.

(And Surly, if you're listening, I changed my mind about the Troll dropouts. Just put a regular vertical dropout on the Discocheck with 135mm spacing. I love my Troll, but it's a real pain to get the rear wheel off when running gears).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What about the Soma Doublecross? That thing is pretty much a 'cross check with discs...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Except that frame is brazed, not Tig welded like all other surlys.

I would be 90% positive that frame is completely seperate from any surly.

BTW, Surly dropouts are available from QBP seperately, so frame building can use them, that and there are a few others that looks alot alike.

Love,
    Chad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    There are NOT "plenty of alternatives out there". Go ahead and list all the versatile steel cyclocross frames out there that have disc brakes, a horizontal top tube, cost less than $600, and are available as a frameset only. The Vaya is the closest thing, but that sloping top tube is extremely ugly. Blech.

Nobody is asking Surly to replace the Crosscheck, just add a different version. Those of you who like the old version wouldn't have to buy a Discocheck. If it had front and rear rack mounts, a horizontal top tube, and the disc brake tucked in between the seat and chain stays, I'd buy one to replace my Salsa La Cruz.

(And Surly, if you're listening, I changed my mind about the Troll dropouts. Just put a regular vertical dropout on the Discocheck with 135mm spacing. I love my Troll, but it's a real pain to get the rear wheel off when running gears).
    The Vassago Fisticuff and the Soma Doublecross Disc meet your requirements. Or you could just build up a KM as a 'cross bike. Also, there are builders who could put a disc tab on your CC frame if you want.

But keep posting people. I am sure Surly surly reads these threads, and if enough of you ask, they may do it. After all, the customer is always right.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    What about the Soma Doublecross? That thing is pretty much a 'cross check with discs...
    Not enough room for 45c tires. I'd still prefer room for 29x2.1 Nanos (as long as I'm dreaming).

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    But with track ends for singlespeed, please!
    How about a BB30 bottom bracket instead?

Then singlespeeders could run the Problem Solvers EBB.

That is what I would like on all of my bikes from here on out.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    With vertical dropouts similar to the Singular Peregrine, but with a BB30 bottom bracket (to run the Problem Solvers EBB) and the rear caliper mounted between the seat and chainstay.

(all pictures came from the Singular site below)

Singular Cycles - Peregrine

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Not enough room for 45c tires. I'd still prefer room for 29x2.1 Nanos (as long as I'm dreaming).
    Picky picky. Do you want a 'cross bike or not?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My thoughts exactly.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Did you miss the part where I said "(as long as I'm dreaming)".

Cross geometry with room for 2.1 Nanos.

What's wrong with that?

Seems like it would be a very versatile machine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    ^Like a 700c Troll, but leave the huge tire clearance to the KM. The megatroll could use similar tubing to the LHT or maybe a mix of CC and LHT tubes.
    Megatroll -- they could call it 'king of the mountains'

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Its all about versatility.

A lot of mountain bikes now have disc brakes. All but one of mine does.

Discs on a Cross Check would allow the owner to run 29er disc wheels.
    Discs on a Cross Check would also the owner to run 650b disc wheels.

Swapping wheelsets with rim brakes can be done, but rims are not a standardized size, which means you still have to adjust your cantis or v-brakes (unless you have a second wheelset with the exact same rims). Id rather have an extra disc 29er wheelset than another rim brake wheelset that (in my case) would only work on my Cross Check.

Discs are standardized. You may still have to tweak the pads a bit when swapping wheels, but nothing like the effort of adjusting cantis or v-brakes.

Again, it's all about versatility.
    ^^THIS!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I personally want one of each!

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Looks like only the Long Haul Trucker will get a disc-only version for 2012...

2012 Surly Products: Fat Tires, Really Fat tires, and the bikes they go on - Bike Rumor

P.S. Didn't this thread start in the Surly Forum?

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Here is a visual aid... CBaron's bike:

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    First of all; shouldn't this thread be in the Surly forum section, because that's where I went looking for it. Second, not to fear everyone. Raleigh did what we wanted Surly to do! And it is totally awesome! The Raleigh Furley is going to be my next bike. It is labelled as Raleigh's do anything bike and it is exactly what I was looking for from the latest Cross Check. MSRP $820 single speed cyclocross disc! Change out the eccentric FSA bottom bracket for traditional BB30 and add gears and deraillers OR keep the eccentric and go full Alfine to match the standard Alfine crank! Aaaannnd they got the color right!
    Edit: Forgot the option of Surly's FIXED DISC rear hub!

Last edited by nelzbycks; 10-02-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: forgot something

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbycks View Post
    First of all; shouldn't this thread be in the Surly forum section, because that's where I went looking for it. Second, not to fear everyone. Raleigh did what we wanted Surly to do! And it is totally awesome! The Raleigh Furley is going to be my next bike. It is labelled as Raleigh's do anything bike and it is exactly what I was looking for from the latest Cross Check. MSRP $820 single speed cyclocross disc! Change out the eccentric FSA bottom bracket for traditional BB30 and add gears and deraillers OR keep the eccentric and go full Alfine to match the standard Alfine crank! Aaaannnd they got the color right!
    Edit: Forgot the option of Surly's FIXED DISC rear hub!

Yes, this thread got moved here for some reason.

I dig the Furley. The geared version (Roper) has full 105 but is almost twice the price.

It's not a light bike, but is 99.9% functionally perfect (a tad more tire clearance would be nice).

A full Sram Apex version (or even Sora or Tiagra) would be nice as well.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005

Disc-Only CrossCheck in 2012

Two CrossChecks in 2012 -

1. Stays exactly as it has been for years.

2. Keep the geometry, keep the traditional fork, keep the FFF tire clearance...

...just lose the cantis and add disc-mounts.

PUH-LEASE!
    Surly Straggler, anyone?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3