Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Careful man! There's a beverage here!

mtbr member
    I love the CC because of it's plainness. It's nothing special except for being special to me because it works, is normal, is comfortable, and comes stock with quality bits that can be cheap to replace if they ever break but likely won't any time soon. I like the mushy feel of canti's, and don't mind the squeal. They stop my 6'3" 12.5 stone frame plenty well. I like that the fork and rear triangle are unadulterated by disc mounts so mud guarding and racking is easy. It's just a bike anyway. If one wants a disc cross bike one can go elsewhere and find some very good options.

mtbr member
    I think a Monster-cross KM would be the closest solution to what the OP desires and at the same time staying with a Surly bike, imo. But then you lose the road geometry too, I guess this thread is all about compromises.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Disc brakes, cantis, v-brakes, and road calipers all do a great job of stopping a bike when theyre working and adjusted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    also, the moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Its all about versatility.

A lot of mountain bikes now have disc brakes. All but one of mine does.

Discs on a Cross Check would allow the owner to run 29er disc wheels.
    Discs on a Cross Check would also the owner to run 650b disc wheels.

Swapping wheelsets with rim brakes can be done, but rims are not a standardized size, which means you still have to adjust your cantis or v-brakes (unless you have a second wheelset with the exact same rims). Id rather have an extra disc 29er wheelset than another rim brake wheelset that (in my case) would only work on my Cross Check.

Discs are standardized. You may still have to tweak the pads a bit when swapping wheels, but nothing like the effort of adjusting cantis or v-brakes.

Again, it's all about versatility.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Skip,

How about a new model altogether?

Surly could knock one out of the ballpark if they made a traditional looking disc-only cross/tourer with a closer to level top tube (unlike the Vaya), a longer headtube and traditional looking fork (think Vaya meets Jamis Aurora Elite meets Singular Peregrine meets CC). All that and fatties fit fine!!!

There is interest, see the following thread:

Crosscheck vs. Salsa Vaya

mtbr member
    It looks like Hydraulic drop bar disc brakes are in the works, SRAM is developing them now. Since the UCI started allowing them in cyclocross races, there's more of a push to develop good drop bar discs that will work with brifters. Maybe that will be the push Surly needs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If it ain't broke...don't fix it.

The CC is already one of the most versatile bikes on the market. If it can't do what you want, then you need a different bike. I highly doubt that the CC's racing credentials make the folks at Surly lose sleep at night.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    JAG410,

I don't want them to REPLACE the current CC, just supplement it with a traditional-looking bike somewhere betweem the Vaya, Peregrine and CC.

I personally don't see the necessity of roadie/cross hydraulic brakes. Mechanicals are fine for me. I got rid of my Magura hydraulic in lieu of BB7s since I tinker so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The easiest argument for me is: why not?

They already have the mounts sitting around for use on Karate Monkey. They already weld on a bunch of other doo dads that most people will never use purely because some people do. They already don't mind the frame being heavy so an extra ounce isn't going to matter. It won't appreciably increase the cost of the frame. It won't get in the way of anyone who doesn't use them. It only increases the options of the end user. It doesn't take anything away.

I can't see any reason not to. Tradition is a ludicrous reason. Road bikes didn't traditionally have a custom rear dropout distance to make them compatible with multiple hubs. Road bikes didn't traditionally have the space for wide non road tires. Road bikes didn't traditionally have a funky rear dropout system that allows them to easily run a faddish single speed setup.

They've already made a do-everything bike. How about making a do-everything+1 bike?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I vote for a titanium cross check. No changes, just ti.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am waiting on the carbon big dummy!

mtbr member
    Actually, road bike do traditionally have long horizontal dropouts that can run "faddish" single speed, fixed gear, or geared setups. Only since they late 80s or so did they go to verticals, because they index better.

Quote Originally Posted by Minjin View Post
    I can't see any reason not to. Tradition is a ludicrous reason. Road bikes didn't traditionally have a custom rear dropout distance to make them compatible with multiple hubs. Road bikes didn't traditionally have the space for wide non road tires. Road bikes didn't traditionally have a funky rear dropout system that allows them to easily run a faddish single speed setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Actually, road bike do traditionally have long horizontal dropouts that can run "faddish" single speed, fixed gear, or geared setups. Only since they late 80s or so did they go to verticals, because they index better.
    They also used to have clearance for larger tires, and virtually any old steel frame could easily accomodate different hub widths.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    um... hey surly, can you guys make a carbon/ti, full suspension, belt driven conundrum? Btw, can you make a deep V version of the large marge?? I hear they are all the rage now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by McFlyMpls View Post
    um... hey surly, can you guys make a carbon/ti, full suspension, belt driven conundrum? Btw, can you make a deep V version of the large marge?? I hear they are all the rage now.
    Because welding on two small pieces of metal that they already have sitting around, that will add almost no cost, and will only affect people who want them is exactly the same as what you are suggesting.

I hope you're not on the debate team.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minjin View Post
    Because welding on two small pieces of metal that they already have sitting around, that will add almost no cost, and will only affect people who want them is exactly the same as what you are suggesting.

I hope you're not on the debate team.
    Because having absolutely no sense of humour is exactly what he was suggesting.

I hope you're not on the enjoying-life team.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky View Post
    Because having absolutely no sense of humour is exactly what he was suggesting.

I hope you're not on the enjoying-life team.
    [insert insult here] [insert smilie for plausible deniability here]

You've obviously read the troll's guide to forum use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Two CrossChecks in 2012 -

1. Stays exactly as it has been for years.

2. Keep the geometry, keep the traditional fork, keep the FFF tire clearance...

...just lose the cantis and add disc-mounts.

PUH-LEASE!
    I`m looking for a SSP Disc Crosser - what would happen if I take a 1x1 frameset and add 700c wheels to it? Anyone who has done this? Are 700x42c tires fitting into this frame? What about the geometry - could I use this as a cyclocorsser?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I`m looking for a SSP Disc Crosser - what would happen if I take a 1x1 frameset and add 700c wheels to it? Anyone who has done this? Are 700x42c tires fitting into this frame? What about the geometry - could I use this as a cyclocorsser?
    You would probably have issues shouldering the frame since the triangle is pretty small.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I've definitely seen some builds like this, so someone on MTBR has the answers you seek.

Personally I would look at the Singular Peregrine for those criteria, it's purdy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think that problem solvers outed surly in this blog post:

http://problemsolversbike.com/blog/c...When:21:24:09Z

no canti braze ons.

no paint (clearcoat over bare metal).

unless it is a one off...

g

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gregclimbs View Post
    I think that problem solvers outed surly in this blog post:

http://problemsolversbike.com/blog/c...When:21:24:09Z

no canti braze ons.

no paint (clearcoat over bare metal).

unless it is a one off...

g
    The slope in that top tube tells me that it's not a CC.

Besides, it is brazed. Aren't Surly's tig-welded?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    The slope in that top tube tells me that it's not a CC.
    It's got track-ends too

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast