mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Disc brake trail touring/cyclross/trail bike?

Not sure where to post this but...

I would like to build up a steel touring/cyclocross/trail shredder with disc brakes, drop bars, and SS dropouts.

Im not sure where to begin other than I like steel, disc brakes, and singlespeeds. I'm moving to an area that has miles of forest/gravel road as well as alot of abandoned logging roads that are slowly being reclaimed by mother nature. A bike that can run 34c+ knobby tires and can handle road, gravel, singletrack, and everything in between.

The two bikes that I've been looking at the closest is the Salsa Fargo and Surly Ogre.

What are your thoughts on these two and are there other frame options I need to consider?

Thanks folks.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Surly Straggler, Singular Peregrine.

Robtre

Monster-wocky !

Brian,

Here is what I did with my Vassago Jabberwocky. It is a lot of fun. The tires are Specialized Renegades 1.8in/45mm tires. I ride it all around Lake Norman State Park it is a hoot! Hoot!

Disc brake trail touring/cyclross/trail bike?-photo-1.jpgDisc brake trail touring/cyclross/trail bike?-photo-2.jpgDisc brake trail touring/cyclross/trail bike?-photo-3.jpg
    -rides bikes for fun.

Robtre
    Oh and I want to sign up for Pisgah Productions Monster-cross race in Sept.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Big Papa beat me to it. I had the exact same two in mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am seriously considering a Charge Plug 3. That model isn't a SS but ChargeBikes do make them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So whats the advantage of the the Straggler over the Ogre? The bike would have to handle mostly gravel but...there are a few rocky rooty trails that i ride to connect the gravel. All flat but still chunky. Would that be more of a wheel/tire issue than a frame issue?

Nice 'Wocky Rob!

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The biggest differences would be geo, as the Straggler is meant for drops, and tire clearance. Other then that there is a lot of overlap and the decision would be down to your personal preferences.

I'd actually prefer the Ogre myself, but those are two other options.

jrm
    mtbr member
    black mountain, charger, cotic, singular, kona, salsa, felt, auger...lots of options beyond surly
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Not sure where to post this but...

I would like to build up a steel touring/cyclocross/trail shredder with disc brakes, drop bars, and SS dropouts.

Im not sure where to begin other than I like steel, disc brakes, and singlespeeds. I'm moving to an area that has miles of forest/gravel road as well as alot of abandoned logging roads that are slowly being reclaimed by mother nature. A bike that can run 34c+ knobby tires and can handle road, gravel, singletrack, and everything in between.

The two bikes that I've been looking at the closest is the Salsa Fargo and Surly Ogre.

What are your thoughts on these two and are there other frame options I need to consider?

Thanks folks.
    The Surly Karate Monkey frame would be ideal for this too.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Sorry Didn't see the SS dropout

I ride a Fairdale Weekender. It is from a newer company that is owned by a Bmx Pro rider, so you know the frame can take a beating. I brought the Weekender disc complete and change the bars and put rack and fender on it. It's been a great bike, I've ridden on mellow mountain bike trails and been my daily commuter for a year. Check the company out

Fairdale Bikes

Still worth a look for something you wont see on the daily bases, but they don't have ss dropouts frame with disc mounts

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinlegend View Post
    I ride a Fairdale Weekender. It is from a newer company that is owned by a Bmx Pro rider, so you know the frame can take a beating. I brought the Weekender disc complete and change the bars and put rack and fender on it. It's been a great bike, I've ridden on mellow mountain bike trails and been my daily commuter for a year. Check the company out

Fairdale Bikes

Still worth a look for something you wont see on the daily bases, but they don't have ss dropouts frame with disc mounts
    I was under the impression that Fairdale was owned by Odyssey/the Bear corporation and that Taj was simply a designer/art director.

But yes, that is another option, other then the SS and dropbar bits.
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 06-06-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Vassago Fisticuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Vassago Fisticuff.
    I just built up Fisticuff and I have been very happy with the results. The bike is comfortable and efficient. I've heard the Straggler is very heavy. You can save significant weight in the frame alone by going with the Vassago. I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm new to the sport, so take my opinion for what its worth... nothing.

Whatever you get, I'm stoked for you. New bikes are the best.

Name:  899774d1402272384t-evans-vassago-fisticuff-build-img_0583.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  92.2 KB