Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thnks for the replies on the tire width the dirty disco will take. I thought that was really weird! I don't know of any CX frame manufacturer that has the tight clearances they claimed and I really liked the frame as a possible build for the wife. She races both CX and gravel grinders so wider is better.

oh crap...
    I'd like to use the Dirty Disco as a gravel grinder - I'd plan on racing it in the DK200 this year. Would anyone recommend against it?
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just built this up.

SPOT CX DISK. Belt drive compatible, Internally routed Di2, and of course disk. I custom painted a set of BB7 calipers black.

I might strip it down for cross season and run it as a belt drive SS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disc Brake CX Bike Build-spot-cx-disk.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice bike!! What fork is that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    it is a SPOT fork.

Here: Spot Brand Bicycles Product Page Forks

mtbr member

Magic carpet ride

Custom Mosaic Ti/Disc. Build for gravel racing more than CX racing, but it'll work great.

Before you ask it's 18.5 now, but will be closer to 17 with the new wheels in the mail right now (Tune hubs, ENVE 29er XC rims, Sapim CX-Ray)

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    That looks good. Nice and clean, nothing flashy but a cyclist would know it's bad ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    That looks good. Nice and clean, nothing flashy but a cyclist would know it's bad ass.

My exact plan, and one reason I chose to go with Aaron of Mosaic over other builders. There are very subtle touches hard to photograph (with my limited skills) that are quality but decidedly understated. e.g. In this photo you can somewhat see the brushed logo showing through the bead blast finish on the down tube. On the non-drive side chainstay there are aspen leaves in the same manner. Think of a fall ride with leaves floating up as you quickly roll by and you get the impression. I cannot recommend Aaron more highly. Here's more deets on the build
    Gravel Quest: Back in the saddle again

oh crap...
    I am so jealous of this bike right now...and I haven't even seen it yet! What's it look like dirty?

Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Custom Mosaic Ti/Disc. Build for gravel racing more than CX racing, but it'll work great.

Before you ask it's 18.5 now, but will be closer to 17 with the new wheels in the mail right now (Tune hubs, ENVE 29er XC rims, Sapim CX-Ray)

[IMG][/IMG]
    Grow some food for yourself.

mtbr member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by farmerfrederico View Post
    What's it look like dirty?
    Dirty eh?

We have a safe word, but we're still in the early stages of our relationship so haven't gotten too dirty. The kinky stuff will happen, but for now I roll by the car wash on my way home. ...and it just hasn't been that wet lately. Thanks to the weather and the need to get in some hills, we've been doing more fast descents (40+ on gravel and 55 on Olde Stage - both with CX tires) she is smooth and calm. Never thrown my leg over somthing this fast and smooth...ok, perhaps one other time

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
    That's a shame. Here are some photos of mine.

Cool, I have an LBS that is a Merida dealer.

Hey Lewy, what is the rear spacing on your bike? 130? 135? The Merida website is lacking in that info. thanks
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigisbudgood View Post
    I'm wondering if you are setting your bars too low, and balancing your weight towards your hands in the process. If you were to take a long road ride on your CX bike, would you have the same issue?
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

'Cross is not road racing. I see lots of guys laid out like they are riding road on 'cross bikes and it doesn't do what they think it does.

Raise and shorten the stem. The disc brakes won't be a major performance gain. Mentally it will be the right thing for you. Also consider lowering your saddle a little. (I am talking millimeters) When you are done, that bike should be bucking like crazy with your hands getting quite a bit less shock over the choppy stuff.

talentless hack
    I would do shameful things for that bike. Triple HOTTT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    You can't stick candles in a cowpie and call it a birthday cake.

HTFU and Ride

pretty much my dream bike. freaking great!
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just another vote for discs on CX - it's not really about power, more about control. For real CX racing, rim brakes are probably usually fine but if like me and my friends, you ride trails on them that are leaning towards mtb terrain then discs are a real step up - they allow you dance on the edge of traction that the silly thin CX tyres provide

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post
    Loving it so far. Got a Thomson in-line post on the way.
    That frame looks a lot like the Chinese frame SP-AC024 I just bought from Ican. Do you know if it is or not? I'm new to the forum and not allowed to post links, but you can do a Google search on the frame number or search on alibaba dot com.

I'm looking forward to building it up with components I got from a Cannondale Optimo disc bike I bought last week. My build should come in a little under 20 lbs. The donor bike was 21 lbs.

Cross Noob
    Apr 2012
    Very nice! Do you use it for racing? Do you think disc brakes are the future for CX?

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    LOL.

I've been a member for 2 years but can't yet post an image.

My picture will show up below:

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jptelthorst View Post
    Very nice! Do you use it for racing? Do you think disc brakes are the future for CX?
    I race mine, but not CX. It's purpose built for gravel racing.

Are disc brakes the future? All I can say is you WILL see more disc brakes. Will everyone go that route? Not soon. Not till the new gear comes out and weights come down. Then there will of course be folks who prefer something different (canti or mini-V).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    I like that, what brakes, handle bar and wheels do you use ? Was it hard to change the inner-routed cables?

I've got a stock crux comp disc that i'd want to be more like yours (hydro disc, mtr handle bar mainly), i've never done a lot of custom work on my bikes but i was pondering either starting from scratch either fixing up my crux.
    I like the crux, its just a tad heavy and i dislike the road handlebars (yeah i know for many cx = road handlebar, but not for me) as well as the mechanical disk brakes which aren't all that good if you like braking power

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    I like that, what brakes, handle bar and wheels do you use ? Was it hard to change the inner-routed cables?

I've got a stock crux comp disc that i'd want to be more like yours (hydro disc, mtr handle bar mainly), i've never done a lot of custom work on my bikes but i was pondering either starting from scratch either fixing up my crux.
    I like the crux, its just a tad heavy and i dislike the road handlebars (yeah i know for many cx = road handlebar, but not for me) as well as the mechanical disk brakes which aren't all that good if you like braking power
    Thanks!

Yours is heavy? I think my crux is light.

The flat bar is a chinese knock-off of a ritchey bar. Wheels are Mavic speed citys (that I plan on upgrading to a nice set of XC race 29ers). The shop instaled the mavic elixer 5s and rear der. Aside from that, I built the bike from the frame up.

If afforable hydraulic aero drop levers come to market I'm going to get some drop bars, a BEER components EBB and make it SSCX smashing machine.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenu View Post
    Thanks!

Yours is heavy? I think my crux is light.

The flat bar is a chinese knock-off of a ritchey bar. Wheels are Mavic speed citys (that I plan on upgrading to a nice set of XC race 29ers). The shop instaled the mavic elixer 5s and rear der. Aside from that, I built the bike from the frame up.

If afforable hydraulic aero drop levers come to market I'm going to get some drop bars, a BEER components EBB and make it SSCX smashing machine.
    my crux is above 10kg.. ($1650) in comparison my 800E MTB is rather light is 11.3kg (front suspension, big tires, etc), i'm no big expert but I find that is on the heavy side.

I'm curious tho, why do you prefer drop bars on the CX? on the dirt/forest/mud I find the mtb ones so much easier and comfortable

I think I might get a ltitle knock-off flat bar as well, but i need to find out what kind of hydrolic brakes I can put on mine without changing wheels.. or I might change them if I have too, specially that its one of the heaviest part of the bike atm.

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boubla View Post
    my crux is above 10kg.. ($1650) in comparison my 800E MTB is rather light is 11.3kg (front suspension, big tires, etc), i'm no big expert but I find that is on the heavy side.

I'm curious tho, why do you prefer drop bars on the CX? on the dirt/forest/mud I find the mtb ones so much easier and comfortable

I think I might get a ltitle knock-off flat bar as well, but i need to find out what kind of hydrolic brakes I can put on mine without changing wheels.. or I might change them if I have too, specially that its one of the heaviest part of the bike atm.
    Which build did you buy?

One thing keeping my crux light is the fact that it's 1X10. There's no front shifter, cable, or front der.

Those wheels weigh around 2000 grams. The tubes and tires are not particularly light either.

I'll say this about chinese knock offs: I've bought seatposts, bars, saddles, kits, etc. The quality just isn't there. The seatpost clamp didn't hold up right and I had to sand down the post to make it fit...the kit didn't quite fit. These days, I'd rather get something from a reputable source and hunt for a blowout price, even if that means paying an extra few bucks.

I'm using the bike to race CX and as a rainy day ride. The flat bar is fine for that. In the future I'd also like to do some SS gravel racing, where drops would give an aero benefit.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have the stock Specialized CruX Comp Disc Apex. I can't post links yet, so while it's first hit on google (the $2100 MSRP one), basically specs are:

- alloy handle bar
    - BB7 160 mm front, 140mm rear
    - most of the mech parts are SRAM APEX (they really could put Rivals...) 2X10 (so theres front shifter and derailler, that's actually the SRAM double tap thingie)
    -SBC Axis CXD wheels

thanks for the chinese tip, i sort of figured simple parts would be ok.. but then, again, in that case i'll get something better.

I ride the bike for commuting, forest and dirt, so in most cases I don't really need drop bars (not really going fast during commute, too many cars, but that's also why i like really good and strong brakes: cars are sometimes very dangerous, and when it takes 1 more sec to achieve perfect braking you may crash. i also like it in the forest but thats more of a luxury there since i don't really race)

As you might guess i'm up for any tip, and uhm, changing handle bar and discs means obviously i'll have to change shifters as well, althought I tend to like 2X10 (I'm in san francisco since a few month and some hills are just that step that I do use all the gears - never needed them in the past hehe)

Also I found some of these boxes that convert cables to hydrolic disk brakes, people seems to say they're ok. I don't really like the idea myself but anyway, just putting it out there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast