Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre View Post
    Another disc crosser....
    toddre,

What is the biggest tire that will fit in the front/rear of the Airborne?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Well my Grammo Paru disc frameset has arrived and it looks great....unfortunately, I can't build her up the way I want to for approximately another 2 weeks. My problem is that I was planning on building it up as a single speed using Beer Components BB30 EBB adaptor (BEER Components), however, what I didn't realize is that the Grammo utilizes a Press Fit BB30, which is a different shell diameter than regular BB30. AHH!! (damn all these "standards!").

But luckily, Beer Components will have a prototype of their PFBB30 EBB adapter soon that I will be a doing a little product testing on. Once I get my frame built up with it, I'll post some pics here, and then once I get a race or two under my belt I'll throw up a review of the Beer PFBB30 EBB on my blog (see sig) and probably here too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

specialized crux disk 2012

I was thinking about getting one, does any have one on order now? if so when were you told it would be available.
    thanks rugman

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    My Crux disc came in the other day and I'm building it up this week.

The disc build on specialize's website has 160 front, 140 rear. Does that mean I have to run the same? Or can I do 160/160?

More details:
    I'd like to run SS but beer components are out of their EBB and haven't responded to my messages. It's going to be a 1X10 with an xo shifter on a flat bar. Sram Force rear der with an 11-26 cassette. Sram red crank (39/crossing guard). Mavic speed city wheels with kenda small block 8s.

The brakes I have on hand are jenky avid mechanicals but I'll upgrade to hydros soon. I'm considering Tektro Orions. But I'm open. Any suggestions? My brake budget is about $200.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    toddre,

What is the biggest tire that will fit in the front/rear of the Airborne?
    Well the frame has 50mm or so of clearance where the tire sits so I would guess something in the 45 range max, depending on the tire of course....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

crux disk 2012

That sounds like a cool build can you post pic. when done?
    thanks

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rugman1957 View Post
    That sounds like a cool build can you post pic. when done?
    thanks
    I need seven more posts before I can post images or links. I've lurked on the site for over a year.

WTFmate

tinypic. com/r/28i15dv/7

I ran into some BB problems. It turns out that I need a $30 adapter to run the red crank. The EBB people are out of stock. So I'm SOL for the time being.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I apologize for the bad phone pict. I'm running 324 labs hydro adapters on my 29er frame for cx until my Spot belt drive disc frame is ready. Running stans rims. One set of 355's with Hope hubs with fat tires and one set of stock crest wheels with raven cx tires. Adapters work great and having a lot of fun riding drops. Formula one brakes are pricey but are the only ones that work with the adapters.
    Disc Brake CX Bike Build-imag0219.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey, can you guys who have 130mm rear spacing lwts s othe guys know what you have for wheels/hubs? Or is there already a thread on 130mm disc hubs?
    Thanks!

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre View Post
    Well the frame has 50mm or so of clearance where the tire sits so I would guess something in the 45 range max, depending on the tire of course....
    Cool, thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What is the biggest tire you can fit in the Merida frame?
    Sorry I missed this. I have 38mm tyres on now and could probably squeeze a 40-42 in there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    2005 Fuji cyclocross bikes can be converted to disc if you can find one. I found this out by accident when I bought one off of craigslist. Apparently it's the only year the disc tab was on the frame.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks
    No problem...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbycks View Post
    I like this one! Introducing the Raleigh Furley! I hope to own this bicycle in the near future.
    Thanks for posting this...that would make an awesome commuter.

I have a SS now but would love to have discs and that Raleigh appears to have rack mounts too.

Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    lots of disc brake CruX bikes out at Spookycross this past weekend! man are they sweet!
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Here it is! Pretty reasonable if I do say so myself $1,289 for frame + $175 for Carbon Disc fork. -> Grammo - Grammo Paru Carbon CX Disc - FR081 I just heard that there are more available than what I thought so it shouldn't be that hard to get your hands on one.
    Will that fork be available separately from the frameset?? Any idea on weight?? and is it full carbon or an aluminum steerer?? Or will it only be available in addition to the frame?? that is a great looking bike, best of luck with it!!

sorry for so many questions.
    Last edited by Rudedog55; 10-18-2011 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post
    there are times that riding in the drops makes sense, but it isn't always the best/fastest for me. thanks for the tips on the Gel pads and the bar!

another good question, who makes the best CX bar tape. the stuff that comes on the CruX bikes is amazing, but i don't know if you can purchase it separately. it is not listed on Speccy's website (it is definitely not Classic, Roubaix, or Cork). Allison tried the Lizzard Skins stuff last year and it was okay but not as good as the stock CruX tape.
    A couple things I've done to make my hands more comfortable this year:
    1. Hudz hoods: the ergonomics are way better for me than stock. I'm either on the hoods or in the drops, never on the flat top.
    2. Moved my levers up higher on the bar: gives that tilt on the hoods I like, but still allows my drops to stay parallel to the ground, which means more comfortable in the drops.
    3. Used Steve Hogg's balance test to setup my saddle fore/aft, took a lot of weight off my hands. This also has given me more power and control on all my bikes, but that is worthy of another post.
    4. Better brakes: ultimate canti's in the back, and some vees up front.
    5. Fresh cinelli cork tape, still my favorite.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Roc d’Azur Sightings – AWL Carbon Rims, Reverse Components and Maloja Skinsuits - Bike Rumor

26mm width carbon tubular disc wheels... probably too wide for CX applications but I still maintain that some disc specific carbon tubular rims should be lighter than the current ones with brake tracks....
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Looks like the prototype carbon disc cross bikes are in the hands of the Bostrom Brothers.

I hope to be able to get one next year when they come out....
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ritchie, Woundup have disc carbon CX forks. BB7's for disc brakes.

For my Gunnar Hyper-X CX, I'm going with Rival shifters, BB7's, and probably WoundUp Team-X disc, along with Shimano CX-70 crankset and front derailleaur. should be a sweet setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    130mm disc hub - White Industries MI6-CX.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Any help w/ finding a full carbon disc compatible fork that is 1 1/8" straight. It seems like all the newer bikes and forks are tapered. I picked up a calfee cyclocross frame only recently on CL and need a fork. I really don't want to put an alloy steerer tube carbon fork on it unless I have to. Whisky parts may produce one soon but is anything out there now fitting the bill?
    thanks,
    andy

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post

Looks like the prototype carbon disc cross bikes are in the hands of the Bostrom Brothers.
    Those bikes look like this model with a black paint job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For the hand pain, never underestimate the saddle. A comfortable saddle (level so it doesn't throw you forward onto the bars) + padded shorts helped me A LOT.

mtbr member
    It's been a while, any luck with the build, I am dying to see it. The Grammo website doesn't have a gallery or anything, not sure what colors are really available. Have you had a chance to weight the frame and fork? Thanks.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast