mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Cyclocross with a twist. Flatbar

I opted for a Soma DC Disc, the bike feels well planted, offers an excellent ride and shifting is incredibly smooth thanks to the Sram Rival drivetrain, I opted to swap out the Sram cassette for a Shimano Ultegra, the Ultegra just transitions through the gears so much smoother then the Rival.

A full Thomson cockpit, Specialized Phenom saddle and XC Lock on grips, and the light weight feel of the Soma Hellyer pedals rounded everything off. I was a bit leary of the Continental SpeedRides at 700x42, my original plan was to run 33 to 35's but once mounted to Stans IronCross wheels they rolled effortlessly, and I was surprised how quickly I got her up to speed, best of all, it comes to a screeching halt from TRP Spyre SLC Disc's 160/140.

I wanted a sub 20lb (very close at 20.69 striped no accessories) steel commuter that can handle the ups and downs of city the traffic commute, run the bike path with my daughter on the weekends and still rip a single track journey with the boys when needed. All in all Im Pleased.

Future plans will be to drop the Tange steel fork for a Whisky No.7, and maybe shave a gram or 2 by swapping out those alloy spacers for carbon. That'll get her under 20lbs, the fork weight savings alone should do the trick. I dont know the new weight with all the gear on it but Im sure theres a couple pounds in commuter gear.
    Cyclocross with a twist. Flatbar-img_0653.jpg
    Cyclocross with a twist. Flatbar-img_0648.jpg
    Cyclocross with a twist. Flatbar-img_0650.jpg

mtbr member
    I'd like to have a flat bar cross bike... but i dont want to give up the drop bar version. Looks like i need more bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I run my Karate Monkey, which could pass for a burley cross bike, with flat bars. My next bike build is for the wife, which will be a cross bike and the plan is for flat bars.

Although I have to say, for city communting/riding, my preference is still with drops (or bullhorns) for additonal hand positions for long commutes and narrow bars for squeezing though some tight spots.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Very Nice!! What kind of shifters are you running?

carlo russo
    Sep 2010
    low risers...so i now need a cross with drop bars....

enjoying the scenery
    Nice. I am a flat bar user as well. I like mixed terrain rides, and given the amount of fire roads in my area I have plenty of opportunity. But I really prefer the flat bar in the dirt. Descents are much smoother with flats, more control and less hand fatigue during braking. I am currently riding two old MTBs as mixed terrain machines; one has a steel fork the other a Nashbar carbon. However I do have a Curtlo CX bike I am modifying to flat bar and am eager to try it. The only drawback is I want disc in front, so if I do like the flat bars I will have to sell the EC70X and get a fork with disc tabs. I have put rides in of 60+ on my 26" bikes and while I do miss the hand positions a drop bar offers - I feel much more in control for the dirt portions.
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2005 RM ETSX-50
    2002 Trek 8500
    1997 Marin Bear Valley
    1993 Miyata Elevation 2000

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Prefer riding in drops when in traffic. Just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My favorite bike when i was little was a light mountain bike with zero suspension. Turns out its pretty close to what a CX is today, except the tires were a little bigger.

I otherwise actually like (shorter than mtb's) flat better in traffic:

- more control
    - better brake access
    - much lower chance to break hand bones on crash

i also like drops, but for different reasons:
    - looks 10 times cooler (yeah.)
    - i like the shifters better
    - a few more hand positions (even thus they're rarely used)

that's basically it ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I guess my point was if you are going into a turn (first for example), you can prevent bars from being hooked.