Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Natural body armor

CX Tubeless setup thread

What works and what doesn't in terms of tubeless setup, tire/rim combo, rim strip, tape etc.

So far I've used Hutchinson Piranha UST 34C on Stan's NoTubes Crest rims w/ yellow tape and Stan's goop and worked flawlessly over last season, with pressure down to 40psi.

Got a set of Raven's 35C, again tubeless ready, so I have no doubt they'll work ok, but selection of Tubeless ready tires pretty much ends there.

I plan to experiment with Kenda Kwick 32C and 34C and see how ti goes.

Anybody else playing with tubeless with good results?
    ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i tried to do tubeless (Mavic Krysirium wheels, Specialized and Kenda tires) but found that pressures had to be so high to keep from burping that it wasn't worth it.

gave up on tubeless, but i will admit that i didn't have stans rims and my tire selection was limited.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm running stans arch with schwalbe marathon extreme. One of the tires is constantly weeping a bit of sealant but I only need to add air about once/wk so it doesn't seem like a big deal. Not sure why that happening on one tire and not the other.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Marco,

I've done ghetto tubeless on a number of different tires (Ritchey Speed Max, Conti's, WTB Pathways), but found the Hutchinson Bulldog up front and the Piranha in back is a SWEET set-up. I raced those last year and they worked like a charm.

They just don't last very long, especially if you ride a lot of pavement, or in our case the hard packed "dirty asphalt" we call San Jose trails.

Right now I have fatties on my bike: Continental CX (700 X 45) knobby in front and a Ritchey Speed Max Pro (700 X 42) in back; tubes filled with sealant for the goat heads.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    After a little trial and error I set up a pair of Ksyrium SL's with a Michelin Mud 2 and Jet Combo. They've been holding air since last Saturday so I think I might give them a shot this weekend.

The magic ingredient was doing 2 layers of Stan's tape to build up the inside of the rims. The tires wouldn't seat without it. Once that was in place the tires seated right up with the help of some soapy water. Put 2 ounces of Stan's sealant inside each tire and that took care of a couple spots where air was leaking.

I originally tried Cafe Latex but didn't have any luck with sealing leaks.

Natural body armor
    I wouldn't ride anything but Stan's rims, but I'm paranoid about blowing tires off the rims.
    The Piranha are great, except for wearing out quickly on pavement, haven't tried Bulldog. I do a lot of commute miles to work and about 50%of it is on pavement.

Tried to put on the Kenda Kwiker 32C, they seem more durable, especially with the DTC. The tire is super tight on the Crest Rims, which is good, but a single layer of yellow tape didn't do the trick so I'll be trying for two.

I''ve heard of people having good luck with the Ksiriums and Michelin.
    I only drink Cafe Latte, never put in my tires
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will attempt ghetto tubeless on the super tight speedmax pro 32 next week. They were so tight getting on I bet they'll work. Hopeful. Rims are Alex Race 28 Pro.

The speed king 35 will not work. Too loose.

A set of Ultegra WH-6700 is my last resort but right now I'm having fun not caring about my Alex Pro set with tubes.

SSOD
    You guys doing ghetto setup... What tube size do you use? A 650c or even a 26" mtb since I'm cutting it down anyway? Running ghetto on my mtb without any problems and was thinking about trying it out on cx with a set of Ksyriums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew View Post
    You guys doing ghetto setup... What tube size do you use? A 650c or even a 26" mtb since I'm cutting it down anyway? Running ghetto on my mtb without any problems and was thinking about trying it out on cx with a set of Ksyriums.
    20" tube.

New found forearm training regimen is added benefit

mtbr member
    Had good results with Hutchinson Bulldogs and Piranhas using Salsa Delgado Cross rims and 26" tubes set up ghetto tubeless and Crossmax 29er rims with Stans tape. Seemingly low pressures were possible, down to the tire-squirm range and the beads held.

I had OK results with Geax Mezcal Cross tires going Ghetto tubeless with Salsa Delgado Cross but they don't grip the rims nearly as snug as their Saguero 29er big brothers. The Mexcal needed high pressures to keep from burping.

Used Maxxis Razes tires never sealed tubeless for me.

Cafe Latex was good but did not seal large punctures, similar holes (within reason) were sealed by Stans, so I ended up going with Stans over Cafe Latex.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I raced a full CX season last year on Stan's Crest rims set up tubeless with minimal burping issues.....and when I finally did get a burp that led to a flat, it was in the biggest race..

for my local Sacramento series, I primarily ran Raven's for the first few races, then switched over to Michelin Mud 2's as the season wore on. I would use one 'cup' of Stan's fluid in each tire, and the Raven's never ever burped. The Mud 2's were also generally fine, but I burped one badly at CX Nationals in Bend on the first lap of the SS race on the very first lap which knocked me out of the race. I'm pretty sure my pressure was too low when that happened. I would generally run PSI in the upper 20's, and for that Bend race, I was using a borrowed pump that wasn't very accurate and I think I was too low.

One thing about the Crest's, is that they have a wider inner rim cavity as compared to most other XC oriented MTB rims, and of course CX/road specific clincher rims as well. So this would spread the tire out a bit wider and decrease the sidewall height. With MTB tires, it obviously doesn't matter so much, but with narrower CX tires, the decreased sidewall height can possibly lead to rim dings and burps if you hit ruts too or rocks too hard. In my case in Nationals when I burped, I was plowing through a deep mud puddle and felt my rim ding something in the water. I was leaving quite the trail of Stan's goo around that muddy course after that.......

Natural body armor
    Sounds like very low pressure to me, I'm pretty sure you are a lot lighter than me, but I run that pressure on 2.1-2.4 tires, not 32C. Do you see an advantage of any kind running so low pressure?

I usually don't trust the pump gauge, have a digital one that seems to be pretty accurate.
    I take the Raven doesn't do too good in super muddy conditions, right?
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Last year I had a terrible time trying to set up Sun EQ21s tubeless, and finally gave up. I did have success with the ghetto split tube method (24" tube) on Salsa Delgado Cross rims w/ 34mm Panaracer Cinder X tires.

I just successfully got the Sun EQ21s to work though this year (this past Friday actually). I used Panaracer 31mm Crossblaster tires Stan's 29'er rim strips, and added a layer of Velox® tape to the rim. The smaller tire size and thicker rim tape made all the difference (tighter fit) and they aired up like champs.

Gave them a good test ride yesterday and was impressed. I bombed a rocky descent w/o issue only to come up on a group of about 8 riders from a local club who had just suffered multiple punctures on the same descent on their cx bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Brake set up

I'm currently building a bike with Stans Alphas and disk hubs to have the option of running disk. I run crest tubeless on my mountain bike with no trouble. I'm curious if those of you using crest,arches, ect are running bb7's ? I'm going to be running trp cx8.4 for now. I'm going to try tubeless with the Schwalbe marathon as a starter.
    Last edited by Repo; 09-06-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by Repo View Post
    I'm currently building a bike with Stans Alpahs and disk hubs to have the option of running disk. I run crest tubeless on my mountain bike with no trouble. I'm curious if those of you using crest,arches, ect are running bb7's ? I'm going to be running trp cx8.4 for now. I'm going to try tubeless with the Schwalbe marathon as a starter.
    I got the Alphas 340 with 3.30 hubs which I'm using as a road wheelset (tubed) and Crests on ZTR as CX: both running happily with Avid BB7
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am excited to go into another successful season with Fulcrum's with Stan's rim strip, taped and sidewalls of Schwalbe Racing Ralph's glued with a layer of Continental tubular glue for burp-prevention.

27lbs for the super-slop, 33-35 or so for everything else. I there was ever a leak, Stan's fixed it before I even knew.

I like the tire in enough conditions that the hassle of switching tires doesn't exist. About 1/2 way through the season I'll swap front and rear. The glue is tacky and re-sticks nicely without having to apply more.

Love the set-up!

Natural body armor
    Got the Kenda Kwicker 32c sealed in one second on Crest rim, two layers of yellow tape 21mm. Test ride in the morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    Alpha 340 and Chris King hubs on the way! NoTubes has not let me down yet on my MTB so my Santa Cruz Stigmata is going to be one of my sickest builds!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Arch rims, yellow tape, and Mud2s. They sealed up instantly, held pressure overnight, felt good on a neighborhood test ride. Hopefully a good sign of their future reliability.

SSOD
    Ksyriums setup ghetto with 24" tube and stan's, continential cx speed 35, Continental Bicycle -Cyclocross Speed

Went on easily enough and setup fine without any leaks from around the bead, but there are tons of small holes in the sidewalls of these tires, probably 20-30 on each side for both tires. Had to use 2 scoops of stan's in each wheel.

It's only been 15 hrs so don't know if these will hold air over time but for now they're fine. Will used a 20" tube next time, the 24" isn't tight enough for my liking but does work okay if you already have them.

Edit: After about 30 hours they didn't hold, added more stan's and re-set-up for 24hrs and they didn't hold. From other threads I've heard you sometimes have to build up the centers with some yellow tape so going to try that next time but for now going back to tubes so I can ride.
    Last edited by Crosstown Stew; 09-13-2011 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Alpha's with ravens on a customers bike and I'm currently running some schwalbe RaRa on crests. This setup took some love during the setup due to holes in the sidewall, but has held fine for over a month. Last year I ran bulldogs on kinlin 30's.

FasCat Coaching
    I set up a pair of new Clement PDX on magic axsium with the Stan's rim strip & sealant last night. Left the current rim strip for the wheels in place.

Took all of 20 seconds per wheel to inflate with the compressor, then brought the pressure up to 80 with floor pump to set the bead (only needed to do it on 1 tire). Still hard as a rock this am and ready to rip.

Must say those clement's are pretty dang big for 33's (at least much larger than my WTB Cross Wolf & Kenda sm8's). Looking forward to running the setup this weekend
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Last weekend I had a Maxis Raze up font and a kenda small block in back set up on American Classic 29er rims. The Maxis burped twice the first time leaving me with about 10psi, and the second time going totally flat. I read on a CX website that the Maxis has not been a good candidate for tubeless conversion.

I am now trying Kenda Small blocks on Mavic Aksium rims. I used two layers of stan's tubeless tape. So far so good, but I am running 40psi a a starting point.

mtbr member
    Running Stan's Alpha Cyclocross wheels with Specialized captain cx tubeless tires. Have about 200 miles on the tires so far and they are performing flawlessly between 35-40 psi, and they inflated easily with a floor pump. Gonna try running lower pressure today to see if they burp.

FasCat Coaching
    Well, my first race went well with Clement PDX set up on Mavic Aksium's with a rim-strip. Ran them at about 35 ish psi. Though the course was predominately dirt and no tight corners to have any sidewall flex.

This past saturday was a different story, much tighter corners and a bit more technical terrain. Set my tires up at about 32 psi. Rolled the front one of the rim on a curb rolling to the start line, rolled the rear on a tight corner on the 1st lap. Not sure if it was the lower pressure/additional side load or if the tires have broken in and are a little flexier. Going to give em another chance and reset them up at higher pressure 40+ and see if they can still hold during the group ride tomorrow am. If not, who's sell some tubulars?
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast