Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    I do not run TLR nor any of my teammates (not schwalbe though) and we do not have any problems tubeless. See this article Going Tubeless for Cyclocross – Avoiding the Burp, Choosing the Best Tires, and a DIY System (Updated, Part III) | Cyclocross Magazine – Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

As far as Hutchinson not working with Crest rims, it will be more challenging to run any CX tire on the wider mtb rim.

I think the crest is only 24mm and I used to run 23mm road tires on in the city.
    I ran none TLR on MTB with out issues, but CX sizes are sort of a grey area so hence why I asked

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

As far as Hutchinson not working with Crest rims, it will be more challenging to run any CX tire on the wider mtb rim.
    The reason Hutchinsons don't work on crests is due to the larger diameter of the rim, not the width. The carbon beads on the Hutchison's don't like to stretch.

I ride CX tires on crests tubeless, as do others I know. All with great luck. None with Hutchinsons, most with clements (pdx or mxp).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    The reason Hutchinsons don't work on crests is due to the larger diameter of the rim, not the width. The carbon beads on the Hutchison's don't like to stretch.

I ride CX tires on crests tubeless, as do others I know. All with great luck. None with Hutchinsons, most with clements (pdx or mxp).
    What pressure's? Weight?

Inner id of crest - 21mm , alpha - 17mm , iron crosz - 20mm. My teamate went from alpha to iron cross & could not keep his mud2's on rimz . I guess u just don't know sometimes. He could not get pdx's to seal @ bead on alpha's either....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What pressure's? Inner id of crest - 21mm , alpha - 17mm , iron crosz - 20mm. My teamate went from alpha to iron cross & could not keep his mud2's on rimz . I guess u just don't know sometimes. He could not get pdx's to seal @ bead on alpha's either....
    I'm running slightly higher pressures because I'm paranoid and larger than your average cx whippet, around 35f/40r. I found the key to getting the skinnier tires seated on the crest was to always seat one bead with a tube before trying to set them up tubeless. It takes an extra 2 minutes and makes the entire process MUCH easier.

I've heard of others having troubles getting the clements to seal on the alphas. Have you tried seating one bead with a tube before setting them up tubeless?

unrooted
    Do you think a 35c non tubeless tire (panaracer cinder x folding) will work on a Stans Flow EX?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    I'm running slightly higher pressures because I'm paranoid and larger than your average cx whippet, around 35f/40r. I found the key to getting the skinnier tires seated on the crest was to always seat one bead with a tube before trying to set them up tubeless. It takes an extra 2 minutes and makes the entire process MUCH easier.

I've heard of others having troubles getting the clements to seal on the alphas. Have you tried seating one bead with a tube before setting them up tubeless?
    He could not get bead to seal due to grooves in bead - sealant kept leaking out.

I had to use tubes to mount muds

He ran 28f/30r w/topeak gauge w/muds on alphas @ 175

Reason i mention topeak is becauze i bought one & it read 5lbs less then my pump gauge. I am down to 30f/32r w/topeak @ 150lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Do you think a 35c non tubeless tire (panaracer cinder x folding) will work on a Stans Flow EX?
    You 'should' be able to make it work, but it will square out the profile of the tire. You just need to ensure the tire is wider than the rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    It depends on what iz acceptable tire pressure. U weight, etc. Keep in mind your rim is 25tmm. While alpha is 17 and crest 21

unrooted
    Tried mounting the cinder x 35m on stans flow Did not work as soon as I got to 40 psi the tire blew off the rim. Didn't work on my WTB trail rim setup ghetto either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Checking back into thread w/ feedback on a few setups

I'm checking back in with some of my recent setup experience, here goes:

1. Clement X'PLOR MSO 40mm wide on 1st gen Stan's Alpha 340 rims, w/ just one layer of Stan's yellow tape: not good, blew off rim above 45 psi, and felt like it would burp below that. Did not want to spend the time fussing w/ extra tape, etc. I just want a tire that works out of the box w/ these 340 rims.

2. Clement X'PLOR MSO 40mm wide on 1st gen Stan's Arch rim front, one layer of gorilla tape, Bonty 29er rim (not sure what flavor) rear with Stan's rubber strip: pretty bomber, raced 3 hard dry condition races around 40 psi, with no drama, I'd ride/race this blew off rim above 45 psi, and felt like it would burp below that. Not the lightest setup for cross racing, but moto. These tires hook up real good on dry/dusty corners.

3. Vittoria Cross XG Pro TNT 32mm on 1st gen Stan's Alpha 340 rims, w/ just one layer of Stan's yellow tape; ridden one hard practice session at 40psi front, 42psi rear and I'm happy. Tire was quite hard to get on, but held air for 2+ days WITHOUT any sealant added. I'd never seen that before (I've never dabbled w/ any UST specific MTB tires though). I added 1 scoop of Stan's to each tire and I'm gonna race these wheels over the next few weekends at some NorCal CX races.

Conclusion so far: I really just wanted a plug & play tire for these 1st gen Alpha 340 rims & so far I'm happy w/ these Vittoria Cross XG Pro TNT tires (and they were on sale at Nasbar for $30 recently, which is way cheaper than good tubulars).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 3daywheelie View Post
    I'm checking back in with some of my recent setup experience, here goes:

1. Clement X'PLOR MSO 40mm wide on 1st gen Stan's Alpha 340 rims, w/ just one layer of Stan's yellow tape: not good, blew off rim above 45 psi, and felt like it would burp below that. Did not want to spend the time fussing w/ extra tape, etc. I just want a tire that works out of the box w/ these 340 rims.

2. Clement X'PLOR MSO 40mm wide on 1st gen Stan's Arch rim front, one layer of gorilla tape, Bonty 29er rim (not sure what flavor) rear with Stan's rubber strip: pretty bomber, raced 3 hard dry condition races around 40 psi, with no drama, I'd ride/race this blew off rim above 45 psi, and felt like it would burp below that. Not the lightest setup for cross racing, but moto. These tires hook up real good on dry/dusty corners.

3. Vittoria Cross XG Pro TNT 32mm on 1st gen Stan's Alpha 340 rims, w/ just one layer of Stan's yellow tape; ridden one hard practice session at 40psi front, 42psi rear and I'm happy. Tire was quite hard to get on, but held air for 2+ days WITHOUT any sealant added. I'd never seen that before (I've never dabbled w/ any UST specific MTB tires though). I added 1 scoop of Stan's to each tire and I'm gonna race these wheels over the next few weekends at some NorCal CX races.

Conclusion so far: I really just wanted a plug & play tire for these 1st gen Alpha 340 rims & so far I'm happy w/ these Vittoria Cross XG Pro TNT tires (and they were on sale at Nasbar for $30 recently, which is way cheaper than good tubulars).
    What is your weight that you are running 40psi +?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm 170lbs kitted up for cross racing

mtbr member
    We've had a lot of success with the Vittoria TNT set up on tubeless specific road rims. For tubeless road/cross it seems that the fit of the tire needs to be a little tighter than your standard clincher set up.
    i.e. - Vittoria TNT tires have a slightly smaller diameter than standard clinchers and/or, Stan's Iron Cross rims have a slightly larger diameter than normal 700c rims so that you can run non tubeless tires tubelessly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I haven't tried to set up my Kenda Kommando 35mm tires tubeless yet, but I think it is noteworthy that the 35mm Kommando is dwarfed by the much more voluminous "33mm" Clement MXP. I want big and cushy and would not waste your money on the undersized Kommando. Also saw the Giant-propriety not for aftermarket 35mm tubeless Schwalbe Super Swans mounted tubeless on a friend's bike. They looked girthy and great and he said they worked great tubeless.

unrooted
    I ran the CinderX 35c on Stans Crest-rear end at the CX race yesterday.

I tried to run it at 35 psi, which felt really great on the warm up. Somewhere around lap 2 or 3 I started feeling the tire bottom out-must of burped, was down to 20 psi at the end of the race, fortunately it was one huge sand trap so I don't think I did any damage to the rim.

What PSI are you guys running???

I weigh 195 and I'm riding a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just to list a success so far. Stans Ravens CX on Iron Cross @ 32F 35R I am 175 bare. Two races on hard pack and several practices on same. I've mounted Mud 2s on these rims for a single practice session - was fine including one unseen trench where I thought I'd broken the fork.

If/when the mud comes here to Norcal I'll try the Mud 2s again. Was trying to get Captain 2bliss - but they don't make the CX version anymore.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A general question about running non tubeless tires tubeless. How are they at high speed descents? I'm a bit leery of hitting 40+ mph on a tire not designed to be run tubeless. Anyone have experience using a non tubeless tire for a gravel grinder or fire road riding in the mountains? Any thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been running non-tubeless tires on some Stans rims for a bit over a year now on my cross bike. I've hit 35-40 quite a few times on pavement and no issues. I think the first few rides after converting (had run the tires w/ tubes before) I was a little tentative with higher speeds, hard cornering, etc. Once I realized the tires weren't going to blow out or fall off the rim, I don't even think about them now. I did see my top speeds on one short steep descent actually rose about 1-2 MPH with the same tires tubeless vs. tubed. And I am running about 5psi less w/o tubes than I was with tubes. The tires were a pretty tight fit on the rims, I didn't have to use any extra layers of tape over what came on the rims.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-29-2013 at 10:32 PM.

mtbr member

Re: CX Tubeless setup thread

I had a non tubeless Conti 35 tear off my front rim once (stans alpha) coming through a tight turn on pavement. Luckily I was moving pretty slowly or things would've gone horribly wrong. If I do run a non tubeless tire without tubes again I will probably keep to the smaller side and look for the beefiest/tightest bead I can find.

Think this would be less of a concern on gravel because there is less grip to tear the tire off with.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

ContiDoes

Does not surprise me, I've never succeeded to get Conti on, either with Alpha400 or Ksyrium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Use tubeless ready tires guys! It's the safe and reliable option. There are more and more options out there now from Specialized's 2BR CX tire range, Vittoria's TNT CX tires, and Kenda's SCT CX tire range to name just a few. I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to mount CX tires that aren't tubeless ready.

mtbr member
    I've set up my Schwalbe Racing Ralph's on WTB i19 Frequency rims as tubeless. No problems so far.

mtbr member
    Crest with Conti Cyclocross. Works great. Weeped at first, but held fine.

CX Tubeless setup thread-img_0594.jpgCX Tubeless setup thread-img_0599.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    las, mxp, pdx sealed up on alphas for me with zero issues, they did burp around very hard off camber corners though. I put a mxp on a iron cross and couldnt even get it to burp with my hands at 20 psi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Easton XC One wheels with Specialized Trigger Pro 2bliss tires. Couldn't get them to seal for 2 days. I rode them for a 30min. ride on the road at 40psi, burped on big bumps.

I think UST rims are not great for tubeless unless you have UST tires.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast