Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    mtbr member
    Running into a bit of an issue with my rear tubeless setup. It is a regular non SCT 700x35 Kenda Happy Medium mounted on an i19 rim. Bead popped in place with authority when I was mounting the tire. Last night I nailed an obstacle with the rear and it started leaking at the bead. Stopped a few times to inflate but it eventually sealed. This morning I inspect the tire and rim for damage at which point I notice I can press on the sidewall with my thumb and cause air to leak at the bead at any given point around the wheel. Trying the lay on a bucket method to allow sealant to pool at the sidewall/bead in hopes of getting a better seal. Anyone else had this issue with a Kenda or i19? Finding it odd I didn't have this issue with the same tire on a Bontrager TLR rim. I've used an i23 in the past on my mountain bike and I also had no problems there.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    never had this issue (used SCT HMs, though), but it looks like another layer of rim tape would likely solve the problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    never had this issue (used SCT HMs, though), but it looks like another layer of rim tape would likely solve the problem
    I agree. If the tire is inflated to your riding pressure and you can press on it and make it leak, then the tire is simply too loose. Try more layers of tape until its tight enough.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

I like turtles
    Most tubeless issues I have encountered/dealt-with are related to the tire not being tight enough or the tape job. More tape. You can also build up a deep center channel using weather stripping - the Stan's site should have info on how to do this and what weather stripping to use (at they did ~5 years ago when I set up a bike that way).
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Hmmm...guess I'll try another layer. These came pretaped and, surprisingly enough, they did a good job with it.
    Signature

I like turtles
    ^^^The tape may be fine, but your tire is still too loose. The thing about tubeless is that its not an exact science and not every tire/rim combo work v. well. Why not get TLR tires? - they almost always fit more snug than non-TLR tires. The Specialized tires are 2Bliss ready.

mtbr member
    I really like the Kenda Happy Medium and, from what I understand, the regular and SCT versions have the exact same bead. Would be in the same both either way it seems.
    Signature

I like turtles
    Not sure, looks like it just a difference in the rubber that allows them to be used with sealant. No idea. Make the rim fatter by adding tape.

Dirt Bound
    Finally went tubeless on the cross bike. Got two races and a singletrack ride on em this season.

Built a wheelset using Bontrager RL 29er rims and the Bontrager rim strip. Got Specialized Terras for tires. Used Orange Seals Sub-Zero.

They work Awesome and look Boss!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789