Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    WTB Nano TCS on Enve XC 29 rims. Haven't ridden them yet, but they have nice volume and set up tubeless pretty easily.

CX Tubeless setup thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1428019355.276620.jpg
    CX Tubeless setup thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1428019368.406090.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnyquist View Post
    WTB Nano TCS on Enve XC 29 rims. Haven't ridden them yet, but they have nice volume and set up tubeless pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am 99% sure those will be my next tires for my RLT.

hip boy
    WTB nano 40c TCS mounted on WTB i19 ChrisCross rims measure at exactly 40mm with 40 psi.

Easiest tire to mount so far. No need to soap the bead or use CO2. Floor pump, inflate to 60 psi, pop pop pop, done.

Heavy tire (524g) but super excited about it as a do-it-all training tire. Smooth rolling on the road and no abrupt transition when cornering.

I ride a Swarf
    Still in testing phase but so far better than expected

Racing ralph, stans splumph, about 5 wraps of 19mm yellow tesa stansalike tape, and on-one reet'ard ("Right hard" said in a north eastern English accent....not what it may sound like....unfortunate name, but they came on the bike)

Pumped up on track pump without too much drama.

Rear only at the moment

Couple of rides. today I started at 32 psi on my shwalbe digital guage. was dead comfy, slightly quirmy....but off road ever so comfy. a rim hits on roots and stones, I think I had a slight burp on one of these. had 27 psi in there after 15 miles when I got home.

Will try a bit more pressure to see if the burps go, but hopefully not much more. I love the way they feel off road at the lower pressures compared to what I ran in tubes. a few more rides and iff its good I'll do the front.

at the same pressure in the front the front (with tube) feels less supple, harder to squeeze.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

26 for life.
    Just picked up some cheap Surly Knards on friday. Mounted on Stans Alpha 400's using a tube to seat the bead first. Broke the bead on one side & pulled the tube out, stuck the valve & some Stans in & they went up with a track pump.
    Went for a blast on single track today & they work a whole lot better than skinny cx tyres.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

mtbr member

CX Tubeless setup thread

Challenge Gravel Grinder 38mm, 120tpi. Anyone had luck with these tubeless? I'm using light-bicycle China carbon rims with Stan's tape and this setup worked for me for a bit but now they burp fluid all the time at pressures that used to be fine for me. I know challenge doesn't condone these tires tubeless, but anyone else had luck with them?

mtbr member
    Just picked up a set of WTB Nano 40c TCS tires to set up tubeless on the new cross bike with Light-bicycle china carbon bead hookless rims. Why does WTB say no compressor and no levers?
    Last edited by Couloirman; 08-23-2015 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Levers can damage the bead such that it won't seal properly. I can only guess that compressor pressure might blow the bead off.

mtbr member
    I have some WTB Cross Boss TCS tires on the way. These will be going on Alpha 400 rims. I will report back and post some photos once they mounted. Really looking forward to these tires.

mtbr member
    I have DT Swiss X430 rims (originally came on a 2012 Salsa Vaya 2) that I would like to set up with some tubeless 35mm+ tires for gravel and light singletrack. from what I have read, I will need some sort of rubber rim strip on them. anyone try this yet? Stan's or Ghetto might work. I am thinking TCS Nanos or Cross Boss tires.

mtbr member
    CX Tubeless setup thread-crossboss1.jpgCX Tubeless setup thread-crossboss2.jpgCX Tubeless setup thread-crossboss3.jpg

Put the WTB Cross Boss tires on this weekend. Installed tubeless on Alpha 400 rims. It took a little effort to get the tires to fully mount with the telltale pop. I had to go up to 65psi before they made the sound. It may be that I have two layers of yellow tape on the wheels for road tire use and one may have been enough, and made it easier, for the cross tires to mount. Tires went on with just my hands, but where nice and tight, and inflated with a floor pump. Added 2oz of sealant to both tires and did a lap around the backyard loop. Need to get them out on a real ride before my first race on Saturday. Nice and plumb and loads of traction from the quick test spin. Have them about 25psi right now, but will probably go a little lower (I weigh 145) for race day depending on course conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am still playing with the tubeless setup on my 2015 Giant TCX SLR1. I am using the cross wheels Giant sends with the bike P-CX1 as of now. Wrapped them with 2 layers of tape and the used the DT Swiss rim strip that Giant included with their kit and the Schwalbe Super Swan tires.

Had nothing but issues with the tires, harder the heck to get onto the beads. Had to take the valve core out so the compressor could push enough air to seat them. Then at times the DT Swiss rim strip would poke out under the bead, more prone if you didn't get the tire seated on the first try.

Had them all setup and went to my first race last week, with the tires ate 35psi front/rear they did ok, until the last lap as I was trying to gain a place and keep another rider from taking the corner from me, burped the front but didn't lose it. Got back to the pit after the race and the rim strip was out under the front bead again.

Reaplced the Schwalbe tires with Vittoria Cross XM Pro tires, lost a little bit of size (700cx35 to 700cx33) but the tires mounted right up tubeless without the rim strips. They have held air since that day with no issues. Going to try them out tonight at the race to dial in the pressure and see how they do.

I really want to build a set of 24f/28r wheels with DT Swiss hubs in either the 350 or 240 series. Just need to find (open to suggestions) a decent but light carbon rim. Current wheels are 1755g so I would really like to get down in the 1450g range if possible.

I called Stans about the Iron Cross wheels, with me being 185lbs dressed they said the top end one should be fine, just not sure about reliability with Stan's wheels since some people on other forums have been having issues with the hubs.
    2014 Giant Propel Advanced Di2
    2014 Giant TCR Advanced SL4
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5-1
    2015 Giant TCX SL1

I like turtles
    Anyone setup the Axis 2.0s that come on Specys tubeless? Figure tape or Stan's strips. My Crux came with the wire bead Triggers..probably should get the 2bliss ready versions....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TiGeo; 10-19-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    I am still playing with the tubeless setup on my 2015 Giant TCX SLR1. I am using the cross wheels Giant sends with the bike P-CX1 as of now. Wrapped them with 2 layers of tape and the used the DT Swiss rim strip that Giant included with their kit and the Schwalbe Super Swan tires.

Had nothing but issues with the tires, harder the heck to get onto the beads. Had to take the valve core out so the compressor could push enough air to seat them. Then at times the DT Swiss rim strip would poke out under the bead, more prone if you didn't get the tire seated on the first try.

Had them all setup and went to my first race last week, with the tires ate 35psi front/rear they did ok, until the last lap as I was trying to gain a place and keep another rider from taking the corner from me, burped the front but didn't lose it. Got back to the pit after the race and the rim strip was out under the front bead again.

Reaplced the Schwalbe tires with Vittoria Cross XM Pro tires, lost a little bit of size (700cx35 to 700cx33) but the tires mounted right up tubeless without the rim strips. They have held air since that day with no issues. Going to try them out tonight at the race to dial in the pressure and see how they do.

I really want to build a set of 24f/28r wheels with DT Swiss hubs in either the 350 or 240 series. Just need to find (open to suggestions) a decent but light carbon rim. Current wheels are 1755g so I would really like to get down in the 1450g range if possible.

I called Stans about the Iron Cross wheels, with me being 185lbs dressed they said the top end one should be fine, just not sure about reliability with Stan's wheels since some people on other forums have been having issues with the hubs.
    Not sure if you found anything yet.
    This builder is popular in Chicago Cross Cup series - you could pick his brain...but i think i know what he will say about tubeless and CX...

PSIMET Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have 2014 Axis 2.0 on my Crux and they were not advetised at tubeless ready...so same question here from previous model. I assume Stans would do the job.

I like turtles
    I actually found 2 sources online saying it will work just using a few layers of Stan's yellow tape and valve stems. One was in the Specy help site and this from someone at Specy and two was a cyclocross site with someone with a 2014. I'm trying it this weekend.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I actually found 2 sources online saying it will work just using a few layers of Stan's yellow tape and valve stems. One was in the Specy help site and this from someone at Specy and two was a cyclocross site with someone with a 2014. I'm trying it this weekend.

I have mine set up with Gorilla Tape, 2bliss Terra/Trigger.
    They took a bit of work to seat, but have held up pretty well in training and trail rides. Because of the issues, and since I have to run pressures in the mid 30s, they're my pit/training wheels.
    Racing on WTB i19s, though. While I had a burp from an unfortunate bad remount combined with trying too low pressure (24 front, 25.5 rear!) the WTBs have been great. Even after burping, I was able to finish the race with 12 psi in the rear without losing any more pressure! Next race I ran appropriate pressure (28f, 30r) and had a solid race.

Los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I have mine set up with Gorilla Tape, 2bliss Terra/Trigger.
    They took a bit of work to seat, but have held up pretty well in training and trail rides. Because of the issues, and since I have to run pressures in the mid 30s, they're my pit/training wheels.
    Racing on WTB i19s, though. While I had a burp from an unfortunate bad remount combined with trying too low pressure (24 front, 25.5 rear!) the WTBs have been great. Even after burping, I was able to finish the race with 12 psi in the rear without losing any more pressure! Next race I ran appropriate pressure (28f, 30r) and had a solid race.

Los
    Good to know. I have Spec Tracer Pros, a couple sets of Clements and a set of WTB Cross Boss' on order. I race for the first time in 2-weeks. I'll run tubes for that. My Tracer's roll well for me at 40-45 psi (I weight 210#)...I think they'll run OK at 35'ish with tubes as well.

Is it a pain to swap tires once set up tubeless?

I like turtles
    Switching tires with tubes is certainly easier and less messy but once you get used to it it's not a big deal. I am still on the fence after hearing SO many issues on the CX bikes with tubeless...seems like folks are pushing the limits of low psi and that is the likely result. I rode some gnarly singletrack this past weekend with tubes and no flats...may just stick with what works..

Last edited by TiGeo; 10-20-2015 at 04:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Switching tires with tubes is certainly easier and less messy but once you get used to it it's not a big deal. I am still on ghe fence after hearing SO many issues on the CX bikes with tubeless...seems like folks are pushing the limits of low psi and that is the likely result. I rode some gnarly singletrack this past weekend with tubes and no flats...may just stick with what works..

Are you using latex tubes?

I am amazed in the difference in ride quality on my road bike, once I switched to Vittoria Latex Road Inner Tubes. It rides like i am running 10psi less with same pressure as rubber tubes. Thinner too, so less prone to pinch flats

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have some maxxis mud wrester TR set up on Stans. I followed the instructions by mounting the tires up with no levers and then using a floor pump. They set up nicely and I rode 20 miles of gravel with about 1 mile of tame single track with about 27f/31r. they were very nice and no squirm (likely due to the firmer sidewalls).

Question. If you aren't supposed to use levers on these tires how are you supposed to remove them from the rim? If you use a lever are you going to destroy the carbon bead?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Do you always use a lever to take off tires? I "almost" never do.

"The trick, and oh, what a trick it is, is to remain consciously blind to the danger that surrounds you, and simultaneously hyper-aware of every hard bit of pavement or sharp bit of metal that enters your air space. This is the Zen koan of riding your bicycle on the road." Robot, Red Kite Prayer - rkp.com - October 20, 2011

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've seen conflicting accounts of whether WTB Nano 40c TCS tires and Stans Valor rims are compatible with each other, having something to do with the WTB bead and Stans hookless inner rim not getting along. Anyone have direct experience? Thanks!

I like turtles
    2015 Crux. Axis 2.0 wheels. Specy Trigger Sport 33c (wire bead). Set up tubeless with 2 passes of Stan's yellow tape, 44mm valve stems, and a scoop of sealant. Dropped 0.4 pounds. Holding air fine. Will ride this weekend, don't anticpate any issues. The tires weren't as tight as I would have liked- could have used more tape or used weather stripping in the center channel to build it up a bit more but I think it will work. I am not going be running pressures lower than 30 I reckon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've got Axis 2.0s set up with two layers of tape and Clement PDX. Burped in a race at 34-psi on the rear, but have been running 36-psi in several others successfully. Really hard combination to setup and leaks quite a bit overnight - added 2oz additional to each after a month or so. Honestly wouldn't recommend this combo based on difficulty to setup, amount of initial leakage, and psi required to not burp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kmancrx View Post
    I have some maxxis mud wrester TR set up on Stans. I followed the instructions by mounting the tires up with no levers and then using a floor pump. They set up nicely and I rode 20 miles of gravel with about 1 mile of tame single track with about 27f/31r. they were very nice and no squirm (likely due to the firmer sidewalls).

Question. If you aren't supposed to use levers on these tires how are you supposed to remove them from the rim? If you use a lever are you going to destroy the carbon bead?

I don't think they have a carbon bead. That's just road tires at high psi isn't it? With all the air out, you push one bead entirely into the rim well. You should then be able to get one bead off then the second is even easier.

I just bought a 2015 Norco Threshold on clear out. $1600 off. It came with Stan's Iron Cross wheels. A little flex you but they set up tubeless easy. I do have a Bontrager Flash Drive pump though. Clement PDX 33 width tires. But on those rims the width is 39. So I suppose they would be illegal in any sanctioned event. I don't intend to race but has anyone had issues with this?

I weigh about 145 and I can get away with mid 30's psi with the occasional bottom out on roots or sharp edged rocks.

I don't think they have a carbon bead. That's just road tires at high psi isn't it? With all the air out, you push one bead entirely into the rim well. You should then be able to get one bead off then the second is even easier.

I just bought a 2015 Norco Threshold on clear out. $1600 off. It came with Stan's Iron Cross wheels. A little flex you but they set up tubeless easy. I do have a Bontrager Flash Drive pump though. Clement PDX 33 width tires. But on those rims the width is 39. So I suppose they would be illegal in any sanctioned event. I don't intend to race but has anyone had issues with this?

I weigh about 145 and I can get away with mid 30's psi with the occasional bottom out on roots or sharp edged rocks.

I think only road tubeless has a carbon bead. For the high pressures. With all the air out you pop one bead off the bead seat into the rim well all the way around. Should be easy to pull one tire bead up and over the rim edge.

I just bought a Norco Threashold, 2015, on clearance. $1600 off. It came with Stan's Iron Cross wheels and Clement PDX 33 tires. Dead easy to set up tubeless with my fancy Bontrager pump. But they measure 39 on those rims which is great for me but what if you wanted to race in a sanctioned event? 33 is the limit. Could one get disqualified?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    I've seen conflicting accounts of whether WTB Nano 40c TCS tires and Stans Valor rims are compatible with each other, having something to do with the WTB bead and Stans hookless inner rim not getting along. Anyone have direct experience? Thanks!
    TCS beads and Stan's 29er rims do not work well together. Way to tight. They do work on Alpah rims though. You can run the non-TCS Nano's on the Valors though. My brother has some Nano Race on Grails for gravel riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42 View Post
    TCS beads and Stan's 29er rims do not work well together. Way to tight. They do work on Alpah rims though. You can run the non-TCS Nano's on the Valors though. My brother has some Nano Race on Grails for gravel riding.
    I set up Nano Race (non-TCS) on Grails yesterday. Setup was easy. Took the tires for a spin and they seemed fine. Checked them this morning and they're holding air fine.

I like turtles
    ^^^Do you think the burping more related to the sidewall strength of the tires vs. the rim itself?

mtbr member
    I've been running a tubeless setup on my ZTR Crest 29er wheelset for the past 2 seasons with great success.

Last year I ran some Michelin Mud2 Cross tires setup tubeless on my old Felt CX bike. I did 18 races and they never burped once. I did get a flat during one of the races when I missed my attempt to jump a cement curb during the race and I hit my rear wheel quite hard. It broke the bead and the tire immediately went flat.

This year for the early part of the CX race season while things were quite a bit dryer, I ran some Vittoria XG Pro TNT around 27-28psi in 8 races without any issues but I didn't find that the XG worked really well once things got wetter/muddier. So for the past 7 races, I've been running some Maxxis Mud Wrestlers TR EXO tires on my Crest wheels. I set them up and brought the air pressure down to 25psi and they haven't lost air and they have performed incredibly in all sorts of conditions. I think the Mud Wrestler is going to be my go to tire for the foreseeable future. When I ordered the Mud Wrestlers, I was thinking that they would hold me over until the Clement PDX tubeless was released next year, but I've been so impressed with the Mud Wrestler that I think I'm going to stick with them.

We had our provincial championship this past weekend in some extremely muddy conditions and the Mud Wrestlers propelled me to a third place finish. So a big thumbs up to the Mud Wrestlers.

My old Felt setup Tubeless with Crest 29 wheels and Michelin Mud2
    CX Tubeless setup thread-felt.jpg

Vittoria XG setup tubeless on Crest 29 wheels
    CX Tubeless setup thread-xg.jpg

Maxxis Mud Wrestlers TR EXO setup tubeless on Crest 29 wheels
    CX Tubeless setup thread-tubeless.jpg

Running 25psi front and back with the Mud Wrestlers
    CX Tubeless setup thread-12191743_10153664510759857_835570478096618515_n.jpg

First place finisher's muddy bike after this past weekends Provincial Championships.
    CX Tubeless setup thread-12196311_10153664510724857_26523835294220290_n.jpg
    Current bikes:
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2015 Framed Alaskan Alloy
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

I like turtles
    So far so good on my tubeless conversion. Crux w/DT Axis 2.0s that I taped with Stan's yellow tape (2 passes) - probably could use 3 passes to get the tires on there tighter. Specy Trigger Sports (wire beads!). Have ridden ~50 miles now on road, gravel, and single track. ~30psi off-road, and mid-30s on-road...I bet I can get a little lower for gravel cruising. I was VERY cautious at first...kept thinking my tire would just fly off in a corner! No such thing has happened. I can see however that during a race with off-camber or hard turns under power that you could peel one off. On a DH portion of our local single-track flow trail, I hit a corner hard pumping and folded the rear a bit which I have also done on my mtb with TLR rims/tires due to too little pressure. On gravel it is great and more comfy at slight lower pressures than I was running with tubes. I had a handful of flats on the tubes in the ~500 miles I was on them. Honestly, its probably not necessary on the cross bike to have tubeless for me, but I figured why not. I think I will pick up some wider Triggers (the 38s) soon and they are TLR. I think the issue with CX bikes and tubeless is that there is simply not enough meat on the sidewall and physically a smaller sidewall to start with so its a more effective lever to prying itself off the rim in turns etc. vs. a mtb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great info TiGeo...I have a pre-2Bliss ready Crux with Axis 2.0s and wondered how'd they set up if I ever decide to make the jump. I like them as clinchers for now and run them around 35-40 psi (I weigh 215#) with CrossBoss 35c tires. I get away with lower pressure on my 38c Triggers and 40c MSOs.

I like turtles
    ^^^at 215.....be carefull. I weigh 160.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yup...that's why I am still rolling on clinchers. Due to weight I tend to run higher pressure as well since the tires spread out more at higher pressure for me.

I like turtles
    Wouldn't go back now. Gotten my pressure down a little more for my gravel route and slamming into some hidden roots etc. due to leaves...no pinches has been nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I built up a set of wheels this year around American Classic RD2218 rims and they've made a great tubeless CX setup w/ just a single layer of Stan's tape. I've only used tubless-ready tires, but I've been able to run as low as 30psi front and 32psi rear on Cross Boss and Mud Wrestler tires w/o any issues (I weigh 175lbs.)

mtbr member
    Hi!

This question may been asked already, but I did not find a quick answer:

What rim tape would be recommended for Hope Tech XC rims (inner width 19,5 mm)?

(Yesterday I tried with Stan's 21 mm tape and Panaracer Cinder X: initially the tire sealed well, but next morning it was empty, and I could not make it hold air anymore (although there was enough sealant). Of course the reason for leaking is probably other than tape such as non-tubeless tyre or user error but annyway....)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Cinder X works tubeless just fine, Kyttyra, I used it before (on Ailerons)

Likely reasons are microscopic holes in the tire and the tape peeling off
    If the tire can hold air for 15 minutes, take it to the bathtub, submerge a small section of the wheel at a time for a couple seconds and watch for bubbles
    Once a hole is found, help the sealant plug it by holding the wheel so that the sealant is covering that part of the tire completely. I had those pesky holes in a Kenda SCT tire - pain in the ass, but they got sealed in the end

If it's not the tire, then it's the tape and that might be solved by merely replacing the tape (doesn't hurt to clean/dry the rim before taping and leaving it inflated with a tube for a day to help the tape stick)

Wider tape might help by virtue of covering the bead seat completely and theoretically improving the seal

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Successfully set up WTB Cross Boss TCS tires on Pacenti SL25 rims and they seem to work great so far. Used Stans valves, tape and sealant. The Bontrager Flash Charger pump is awesome for setting up tubeless. By the way, this was my first attempt at setting up tubeless on any bike in my life, and it came together smoothly first try.

mtbr member
    You're prolly right, your problem prolly isn't your tape. But, since you asked-it's simple: Gorilla tape.

yep
    Building my first CX bike, and I've got some wheels that are set up for tubeless. They are HiFi Mixtapes and I'm throwing Gravel Grinders on there.

I've installed tires tubeless before. Is it pretty easy? I don't have a air compressor, is that going to be beneficial?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thinking of a tubeless setup with Axis 2.0 wheels but with Fatty Stripper strips...the rubbery ones. It may provide a tighter bead interface over Stan's tape, though I am not sure. I'm using this method on the Fatbike and think it should work well on the Axis wheels as well...maybe even the road wheels.

I like turtles
    ^^^yep...the Stan's strips etc. should allow a tighter fitting tire and subsequently an easier time airing them up. Mine work fine with two rounds of yellow tape and an air compressor.

mtbr member
    i've used an old oem wtb sx17 29er rim, 1 layer of gorilla tape, stand valve and sealant with kenda tcs happy medium pro 32c and it held up well. of course, a real tubeless rim will be better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Last week mounted WTB Nano Race 40's on a set of C29ssmax's that I had been saving.

mtbr member
    Posted here before but figured I'd get an update going. Been running 700x40 and 700x35 non tubeless ready Kendas on my Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels for about 2200 miles with zero issues aside from my SB8 bubbling due to the sealant (my fault). Rims were a bit wide which squared off the profile on the 35 quite a bit.

Unfortunately rider error killed off my rear wheel so I purchased a wheelset with the WTB Stryker i19 rims (from what I can tell they are the same as the newer Frequency i19 but with eyelets instead of the 4d spoke holes). As expected my Kenda mounted easily and it has more of a round profile now with a skinnier rim. No rides on it yet but I'm not expecting any issues.
    Signature

I like turtles
    Axis 4.0s (2016 model) w/Specy Trigger Pro 38s. Added one layer of Stan's yellow tape over top the OE rim strip and added valve stems. Set up tubeless with zero drama. Edit. Drama. The tape didn't work out as well as I had hoped and I scraped the OEM strip + Stan's tape and just went with a single layer of Gorilla...MUCH better seal. Can inflate with a floor pump.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 01-10-2016 at 04:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mounted a pair of 40 c nanos on Stan's iron cross with a single layer of Stan's tape. Had to fight the tire to get it on. No tools used though other than a rag for grip to get the last bit of bead on. Aired up like a champ of course. Not as grippy as the Clement PDX nor as light. But the Clement tires continually weaved sealant out the sidewalls and Clement do not recommend their tires for tubeless. They say sealant can eat away the casing. I figured a more reliable tire was in order. Those WTB tires though sure we're tight. As tight as road tubeless. I think that's good though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Mounted a pair of 40 c nanos on Stan's iron cross with a single layer of Stan's tape. Had to fight the tire to get it on. No tools used though other than a rag for grip to get the last bit of bead on. Aired up like a champ of course. Not as grippy as the Clement PDX nor as light. But the Clement tires continually weaved sealant out the sidewalls and Clement do not recommend their tires for tubeless. They say sealant can eat away the casing. I figured a more reliable tire was in order. Those WTB tires though sure we're tight. As tight as road tubeless. I think that's good though.
    Did you use the TCS version or the Race version?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    TCS version. I should have mentioned that.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast