Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anyone tried setting up narrow rims tubeless? I've got a set of last year's Oval 327 CX wheels and the rims are 17mm wide. From what I've heard, the issue is that the narrow rims demand a higher pressure, but the fit on a non-tubeless rim isn't tight enough to ensure the bead won't blow out. Anyway, anyone tried this?
    Last edited by Pynchonite; 09-27-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Edited for reasons.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    They may work they may not. IMHO the most successful method is split tube. You may be better off just using latex tubes(admittedly I have never used them)

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just set up some velocity A23's with Stan's yellow tape and rim strips with Clement tires. Seated up no problem, but took time for beads to seal with the help of sealant. I did not hear the beads snap into place. Usually heard that with my mtb wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just out of curiosity, which Clement tires? I was thinking of trying either their LAX or X'Plor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Have X'Plor USH on 2 bikes, seated up well, with NoTubes took ages to seal, (Alpha and Mavic) in the end resorted to NoZisch to make the seal.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have PDx I the front and mxp in the rear. Still holding air after 18 hours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thought I would pass on my experience. I have had great success using Bontrager TLR rim strips mounted in Volocity A23's with numerous tires, both wire bead and folding. The strips fit perfectly and provide a generous "shelf" for the tire to seat on and the bead locks firmly into the strip. I have never had a burp or bead pop off with pressures between 25 to 40 psi(I'm 185). The TLR strips are much more durable than any tape. I'm currently building a set of HED Belgium's that will use the same system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb39 View Post
    Thought I would pass on my experience. I have had great success using Bontrager TLR rim strips mounted in Volocity A23's with numerous tires, both wire bead and folding. The strips fit perfectly and provide a generous "shelf" for the tire to seat on and the bead locks firmly into the strip. I have never had a burp or bead pop off with pressures between 25 to 40 psi(I'm 185). The TLR strips are much more durable than any tape. I'm currently building a set of HED Belgium's that will use the same system.
    wow sounds like a perfect solution. Are your A23s 1st generation(no ledge) or 2nd generation(have a tubeless "ledge")

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    wow sounds like a perfect solution. Are your A23s 1st generation(no ledge) or 2nd generation(have a tubeless "ledge")
    I have used both. My current setup is with the 2 generation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anybody had their tires setup to higher than 60psi? I want to ride on the road to the local trails so I ride high 60's with my tires to get to the trail.

EDIT: I do lower my pressure when I get to the trails.
    Last edited by jemlinus; 10-20-2013 at 12:51 AM.

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by jemlinus View Post
    Anybody had their tires setup to higher than 60psi? I want to ride on the road to the local trails so I ride high 60's with my tires to get to the trail.

One of my coworkers had a Specialized Terr Pro 2Bliss blow off of his Alpha 400 at 75 psi. Straight line, on smooth asphalt.
    I gave him a hard time for running such high pressures. I just don't get it. He's at 65 now with good results.
    I don't think over 60 psi really helps much with rolling resistance.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jemlinus View Post

What tires are you running? and on what rims? Last year I ran 700 x 35 panaracer Tservs at 45 - 55 psi tubeless doing fast group rides and every day commuting and I was about 230 lbs. They were mounted on A23s. I cannot see you needing to go higher then that unless your rims are narrower or your tires are substantially narrower or your are heavier then me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have Gigantex carbon rims with 18.5mm internal(24.5 external) width. I've been running Mud2, Jet, and Vittoria XG tires in various combination with tubes. Also, I'm running 60psi front 70psi rear on the road, down to 30F 35R on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone try the Rocket Ron's going tubeless ?
    From my understanding neither the Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph are actually TLR?
    We are debating these at my bike shop as my next tires on crest 29er rims. I can't get much larger than a 35/1.3 on this Bad Boy I have and from what we could tell only TLR is in 2.1 or larger?

Hutchinson was also an option but apparently they do not like the Crest Rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I mounted some Hutcinson Toro's on I9 Ultralight CX wheels yesterday using a basic floor pump. Super easy.

mtbr member
    My Giant CX bike came with tubeless ready rims (made by DT Swiss for Giant) and tubeless ready tires (Shwalbe for giant, 35mm).

They are great. No issues so far with 4 races this year and lots of practices in thorn infested areas. Thorns no problem as long as the Stans is topped off.

Too bad the whole setup is all proprietary to Giant. I think it's worth considering a Giant bike just to have this setup.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As an update, I've run both MXP and PDX setup tubeless on a stans crest (front) and stans 355 (rear) with good luck. Part of this may be due to the wide rims? I started out the season with MXP front/rear but have changed to PDX front (for more bite), MXP rear. I'm ~180 pounds and run 36-38psi front, 40-42psi rear, at these pressures I've avoided burp issues and could probably go slightly lower.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Changed my tubeless setup last week. Was running Vittoria XG pro TNT on stan's rims(iron cross rear and 355 front). I had no problems using them for the Iron Cross race and doing two traditional CX race. I just didn't like the feel/performance of the Vittoria's.

I decided to try the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs again. I ordered a roll of 8988 tape and went to town. I used 5 layers of tape on both rims and put the RR on the rims. The fit was tighter than before and I was able to use a floor pump to inflate and get them to seat. Both tires snapped on with a reassuring pop.

They lost most air sitting during the week but held air for the first ride that I did on them. The next day I had a race and ran them at 30 psi front and 34 rear. I think I was a little soft in the front and may have folded over the front tire in a corner which caused me to crash. The great thing was that there were no burps during the race and since then the tires have not lost any air.

I'm going to increase the front pressure up to 32 and leave the rear as is.

unrooted
    Would a Flow EX be too wide for a Panaracer Cinder X 35?

I would use Crests, but my wife wants to ride in the next race...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have been using Stans Crest rims with yellow tape and Vittoria XG TNT tires this year with great success. Ran pressures sub 20 psi in a muddy race a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So far +1 on alpha rims w/ mud 2's (practice plus 1 race - a W). I had to mount up one bead first with tube though. 28f 30r 150lb rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    My Giant CX bike came with tubeless ready rims (made by DT Swiss for Giant) and tubeless ready tires (Shwalbe for giant, 35mm).

They are great. No issues so far with 4 races this year and lots of practices in thorn infested areas. Thorns no problem as long as the Stans is topped off.

Too bad the whole setup is all proprietary to Giant. I think it's worth considering a Giant bike just to have this setup.
    you should be able to order just the wheelset through a giant dealer. my teammate had to buy a new one after he ran over his front wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am trying to run some tubeless singlespeed wheels. Having a hard time finding a good pair to work with though. anyone have any experience with ss tubeless setups?
    also I am interested in doing it as reasonably as possible. it seems the beginning posts are from a few years ago. How has tubeless improved over the years?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The rim/tire combination is important. My post is above.

What rim/tire do you have or plan on using?

This article will help you.
    Going Tubeless for Cyclocross – Avoiding the Burp, Choosing the Best Tires, and a DIY System (Updated, Part III) | Cyclocross Magazine – Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

There are plenty of recent recommendations on this post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by (807) Recordings View Post
    Anyone try the Rocket Ron's going tubeless ?
    From my understanding neither the Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph are actually TLR?
    We are debating these at my bike shop as my next tires on crest 29er rims. I can't get much larger than a 35/1.3 on this Bad Boy I have and from what we could tell only TLR is in 2.1 or larger?

Hutchinson was also an option but apparently they do not like the Crest Rims.
    I do not run TLR nor any of my teammates (not schwalbe though) and we do not have any problems tubeless. See this article Going Tubeless for Cyclocross – Avoiding the Burp, Choosing the Best Tires, and a DIY System (Updated, Part III) | Cyclocross Magazine – Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

As far as Hutchinson not working with Crest rims, it will be more challenging to run any CX tire on the wider mtb rim.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast