Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have a Mso on stans ironcross on back. Live it at 38-40 psi. I have a deformity on my front iron cross a wich blew off my Mso in the front twice and ruined my Mso 40s sidewall at 38-42 at most psi. Stans is having me take emery cloth to sharp edge on deformed area. Now I got a rim with paint off tring to lightly sand off hurries area but will have to take tops off and get mini files to correct bead seat area to my liking. I am holding off for tubeless tires( hutch 34 pira, raven35 and a trigger 38). Hopefully they seat and sidewall isn't pulled in to rim to much in that area. Has anyone else had this issue. I've been sitting on this for two weeks. I spent more money on these rims and tires than I've put I. Rest of this bike. I've tried using a tube, extra sealant and tried a slant six off my neighbors bike and still had leak in Same place but haven't had a chance to try it back on to try it with this deformed area sanded. Any one with maybe a good tire combo or experience with what I have coming would be greatly appreciated. I will say though stans was very great to talk to on phone and just wish I could get the stars to align so I can get my tires and see if suggestion work because my intail pics to them we're tough to see do to placement and black color. I don't mind the paint missing now because Iam sure it I'll be missing some once I can get it off my work stand and on bike with rear that's been serving me real we'll.

Ps thanks everyone

mtbr member
    I have a rear Crest with a good size dent that has been holding my Slant 6 SCT with no issues. Ran it at 24psi this weekend (I weight 145lbs) setup tubeless on a very rooty and bumpy course. I would suggest getting a sealant compatible tire and giving that a go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just mounted a set of Specialized Tracer Pros on a pair of Stan's Ironcross wheels. The plus side is that I could have inflated them with a hand pump. The downside was that mounting the tires was a major battle. I haven't had to use a pair of tire irons in decades, so it took me forever to find a pair in my spares bin. Even then it was touch an go for a while. If I ever get a flat that the sealant won't take care of, I'll be walking back to my truck because there isn't any way in hell I'm getting the tires back off any time soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Still waiting on tire. I did try a slant six ust that my neighbor had. I sanded off a good 1/8-1/4 inch raised pointed area where the rim must be joind together. The raised area would be where top of bead seats. There's no way it could have sealed there the sealant would slow it couldn't ride it far and after a couple of hours there was no pressure. Hopefully can get tires tonight or tommorow. Should be end of week for the hutch and stans.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just mounted up a Spesh Tracer in the front and Trigger in the back on a set of Iron Cross rims. So far, they've performed admirably on the sharp, pointy trails I train on. Even had a few hits that I swore should have punched through the sidewall that turned up nothing. Traction is ok in the rear - not as grabby in loose sand/foot-thick fine dust as a Vittoria XG TNT Pro, but on par with Kenda's SB8. The Tracer's been excellent at holding the line so far: a lot of the trails here have become extremely loose from rain but so far I haven't felt it slide.

I had briefly had a Kenda Kommando mounted up on the rear. I do not recommend this tire for the rear if you so much as think about riding pavement: it wore through before I could come on here to complain about it. Traction was much better than the Trigger in sand (that's all we've got here in the Salt Lake Valley, generally), but let us hope the Trigger wears better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last year set up open pros with 2 layers of gorilla, stans strip, and non-TNT XGs (and sealant obv). I raced those at I thought about 42/40, twice, no problems. I'm 165. I then used some Tracer 2bliss on Shimano 6700s with on layer of stans tape and sealant at 34/32. It was super compliant, but the tires felt really floppy under harder turns, like the casing itself was rolling over a bit. I've raced tubulars for many seasons, the motion didn't totally freak me out. Woulda added air but had no time after preview. So...I burp flatted the rear, swapped that out, then crashed when the front folded over- no burp, it just sorta laid down. TURNS OUT- my pressure was actually 22/20. Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous, I feel like an idiot. I've since raced them at actual 28/26, they were great.
    This also means that I probably raced the open pro/XGs in the upper 20s, which I would not have trusted if I'd known, but take that for what it's worth. They did feel very good, no wonder I was totally amazed at the suppleness at (false) 40 psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Running the Hutchison Piranha 2 CX Tubeless 34mm @ 24-26 psi on Hed Ardeness + FR Disc with 0 burps and easy install. I weigh 165 and I did a bunch of off camber grass testing down to 20 psi and no burps. The tire feel's best at mid 20's to me as I don't like the mushy feeling. I have a set of Toro's and Black Mamba's I will try this weekend and report back. As I said these tires go on and off so easy changing tires is a non isuue even on race day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by vs779 View Post
    Running the Hutchison Piranha 2 CX Tubeless 34mm @ 24-26 psi on Hed Ardeness + FR Disc with 0 burps and easy install. I weigh 165 and I did a bunch of off camber grass testing down to 20 psi and no burps. The tire feel's best at mid 20's to me as I don't like the mushy feeling. I have a set of Toro's and Black Mamba's I will try this weekend and report back. As I said these tires go on and off so easy changing tires is a non isuue even on race day.

Tried the Toro Tubeless 32 in grass race conditions today at 25 PSI front and rear with no burps and a bit of fold in the rear like a tubular at low PSI. The tires roll a bit slower compared to the Pirhana but the traction makes up for it IMO. That's my go to tire til the grond is frozen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Today I had my first dnf in a race in a long time. It was my fault due to maintenance vs setup. I punctured my rear tire during my CX race today. I was running a non tubeless Schwalbe RR on stan's rims. I should have topped off the sealant and should have had a spare wheel or bike in the pit to save my race but I didn't.

The last time I put sealant in the tires was June, 2 oz per wheel. I pulled the tires off the rim after the race and they were bone dry.

I switched the tires over to Vittoria TNT tires for my next race, Iron Cross. I was leery of running the schwalbes and today made me take a more cautious approach. The schwalbes would have probably been fine but I feel a little better running tubeless specific tires for such a long race.

After this Iron Cross, I may look a picking up a new set of tires, possibly Kenda SCT tires, Stan's tires, or a new set of vittoria tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    2blias 38 triggers in front at 31 psi and Mso 40s at 33. Got the stans ironcross to keep air after sanding the blemish. I could go less but run some heavy mountain trails with sharp large rock on fast downhill trails(probally wrong bike). Killed every tube I had on stock weinman front waiting on triggers and blemish fix on ironcross .

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Maxxis is relatively new to the tubeless CX game with their updated tubeless-ready Mud Wrestler. Anyone using that tire yet? I'm going to be installing them on a set of Stan's Grail rims and curious how it's going for people. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I raced the Hutchinson Piranha 2 34 width at 33/31psi on a very fast, firm track at Valmont yesterday, they were great, noticeably better than Tracers on similar Valmont course weeks ago. Even though the shoulder knobs are somewhat small on Hutch, they did a great job on the dusty hardpack. I had a couple drifts, but the release and catch was very smooth and predictable with no burp. These tires are tubeless on AC 2218 rims, and they fit VERY tightly- so tightly that I lost 45 kfg of spoke tension front and rear compared to unmounted. This was problematic for tensioning- I uptensioned the wheels with the tires mounted to make sure that NDS spokes are ok (113kgf DS/49kgf NDS).

mtbr member
    I know there are a lot of us waiting on higher volume tubeless compatible cross tires, and WTB is now shipping the 35c Cross Boss, but I also like Kenda tires. I sent them an email since there are SCT options listed on their website in a few larger widths. This is the response I got:

We do have several higher volume SCT casing tread options in the works. Currently the Kommando X Pro 700x33 (212456) is available in a SCT version. We were hoping to have all these ready for this cross season but it’s going to be closer to early spring when we have these into the marketplace. Hope your season is going well.

I only have 1 or 2 races left for my cross season, so I am willing to wait for Spring to see what other options become available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by headsup View Post
    Maxxis is relatively new to the tubeless CX game with their updated tubeless-ready Mud Wrestler. Anyone using that tire yet? I'm going to be installing them on a set of Stan's Grail rims and curious how it's going for people. Thanks!
    I just set up a pair of these on Bonty TLR that came on the Boone. So far, I really like them - they seem fairly fast rolling (faster at least to the Vittoria XGs), supple feeling, and really grippy in turns in mainly dry/sandy/hardpack conditions. Hopefully, I'll try them in the soft soon as we're starting to get rain here in NorCal. They were easy to set up.

mtbr member

CX Tubeless setup thread

Just picked up a set on my favourite CX tyres, Bontrager CX0 but this time they are in 33c and TLR, looking forward to trying them out when my new bike arrives.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just put WTB Cross Boss tires on some Felt CX wheels (stock on a 2015 F65X) with 2 layers of gorilla tape. They aired up with a floor pump as if I were inflating a tube.

VERY tight fit though, if I ever re-tape I'll try 1 layer of tape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I swapped out Specialized Tracer front to a new Vittoria XL Pro TNT 33mm on a Shimano 6700 with one new layer of Stans tape and 1.3 oz of sealant. The whole swap took under 20 minutes. The tire does not fit that tightly really, but the carcass/bead is so stiff that I used a little lever action. Now that I think of it, I didn't even use soap. This was the easiest tireless mount I've done, it inflated with my floor pump and didn't ooze a drop of sealant. On the narrow 6700, it measures right at 33 mm. I'd like to try this on a wider rim.

Within 1.5 hours I was in my warmup laps for a race at 27 psi, it was was fine. It is not a supple tire at all, but it is very stable and is very good at carving through soft mud and firmish mud chicanes, and it shed muck well. On long firmer straights it felt very slow, but I think it was worth it for the turny sections.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I switched out my Vittoria XG TNTs for Bontrager CX3 tlr tires. I liked the Vittoria's but wanted something with more grip for cornering which was where I felt the XGs lacked.

The CX3's went on my stan's crest and iron cross rims with no problems. I heard the pop when I got to about 45 psi. They sat for a week until today when I used them in a race today.

The course was mostly grass but the corners had that soft slippery mud where the XG's let me wanting more. I aired the CX3's to about 28 front and 30 rear. No burbing at all and I didn't bottom out on the rims. I may have been able to go a little lower in air pressure.

They rolled well on pavement and on the straights but did what I wanted and gripped well in the corners. They gave me a more secure feeling when I went into a corner a little to fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wish the bonty tires came in wider widths. Tread pattern looks great

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Back to Hutch Piranha2 34s 28/26.5 on a dry dusty course with some powdery loose turns and a bunch of tricky off camber runs and switches in tricky dirt/grass. I think a Chicane woulda been great on this course, I wasn't sure the Piranha2s have sharp enough shoulders. I had a GREAT experience on the Hutches though- I think the key is how supple the casing is and how sticky that rubber is, it is remarkable imo. I was far enough back that I saw several people slide out and dump on the off-camber, but I had no problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    I wish the bonty tires came in wider widths. Tread pattern looks great
    I would have been happier with a wider tire too but they have just as good if not better grip than my 35 mm tubed Racing Ralphs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I know some folks liking the Piranha on the dry pack. I actually switched from Raven to Tracer for the hard pack and liked it. Very soft rubber felt good on pavement. As it got wetter I moved to IRC Cerac CX. I had to use a compressor on the NoTubes Grail and even then it would keep popping back off the bead (I usually inflate without valve core and sealant first then add sealant and re-inflate).

Mounted Vittoria Cross XL Pro on Iron Cross this weekend with a floor pump. Really tight getting the on the rims by hand first though. I have not ridden them yet and fear their sidewall is stiff but looks like they would work in sloppy mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The xl pros are a weird tire. They feel slow on straight line dirt to me, but way up at like 40 psi, they are really fast and silent on Tarmac, all the side knobs are off the pavement and the rubber and casing have no squirm. Also, my 34 TNTs are 480g per not counting sealant. If it was 75g less I'd say it's a race tire, but that's pretty heavy to spin up. I like them for trail riding though. Tough and versatile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Got some kenda kommando x pro 33c SCT tires to try on my sram roam 30 wheels for my cross bike and could not get them anywhere near to seating the bead. They were really tight to put on but so were my Xg TNT's on my iron cross and they seated nicely. Then tried the kendas on the iron cross and they seated on those with a compressor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    WTB Nano set up super easy with a Stan's CX rimstrip on my '14 Kona JTS. No issues after several rides.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

CX Tubeless setup thread

Spec trigger 38 2BLISS went on Hope XC rims with a floor pump. Running 35/40 psi worked well with good volume. No pings on the rim and much better than the Schwalbe cx comp. tires did well in sand but a little loose in the turns.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Manning View Post
    WTB Nano set up super easy with a Stan's CX rimstrip on my '14 Kona JTS. No issues after several rides.
    I was running a Cross Boss front/rear for a while but wanted a little more volume so I went with a Nano 40c up front and love it for the extra volume but it won't hold air for more than a few days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was running a Cross Boss front/rear for a while but wanted a little more volume so I went with a Nano 40c up front and love it for the extra volume but it won't hold air for more than a few days.
    That's a bummer, the Nano I have isn't even a "tubeless ready" version.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    And mine is! Ha!

I even put 2 scoops of Stans in, which is what I put in my massive 29x2.5 Minion DHF on my mtb

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hi, hoping for help here, being a CX tubeless newbie. Been using the ghettostyle, with a cut up tube for bead on my Shimano R510s, with Stans in and using Ritchey Speedmax tires. I had succes first time, and even got to go for a nice ride, but next morning they where flat again. Happened twice. Is there a big difference in using tape as bead, or using the cut open tube? Any suggestions? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tytteboevs View Post
    Hi, hoping for help here, being a CX tubeless newbie. Been using the ghettostyle, with a cut up tube for bead on my Shimano R510s, with Stans in and using Ritchey Speedmax tires. I had succes first time, and even got to go for a nice ride, but next morning they where flat again. Happened twice. Is there a big difference in using tape as bead, or using the cut open tube? Any suggestions? Thanks
    In my experience ritchey speedmax tires do NOT work well with sealant. I had them setup tubeless front/rear using stans sealant on a gravel bike. Both tires developed tread 'bubbles' that resulted in a flat after ~3 months of riding.

I doubt tires will fix the problem you're having, however I'd recommend using another pair if you have the option. If you keep riding your current tires after awhile they should hold air. The sealant is likely still working to seal all the small holes in your tire/rim interface. Give them a few more rides and see if they start holding air for longer. If so, you should be good. Just keep an eye on the tread for bubbles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the answer. Since I am looking for new tires anyway, maybe you could give your opinion on which to chose:

Hutchinson Bulldog
    Vittoria XL Pro TNT 33
    Kenda Kommanda X-Pro

In your opinion, is there any advantages in using tape instead of a cut open tube?

Thanks a lot.
    T

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tytteboevs View Post
    Thanks for the answer. Since I am looking for new tires anyway, maybe you could give your opinion on which to chose:

Hutchinson Bulldog
    Vittoria XL Pro TNT 33
    Kenda Kommanda X-Pro

In your opinion, is there any advantages in using tape instead of a cut open tube?

Thanks a lot.
    T
    I haven't personally ridden any of those tires. The hutchinson and vittorias seem to be lower volume. I'm unsure on the kenda, but would be more inclined to choose that over the other two options due to a perception of more volume.

If I were you I'd look for the highest volume lower tread tubeless tire you can find. Some people have good luck with specialized, others do fine with the options you mentioned. Personally I've had good luck running clement tires tubeless, however all my cx tubeless setups are on stans rims so I can't guarantee others will have the same experience.

I've always used tape, but generally only use rims designed for tubeless. I've moved to using 2 layers of stans yellow tape to build up the rim cavity a bit for CX tires/beads. This makes airing them up MUCH easier than one layer, which seems specific to CX tires.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    +1 on Clement and Mud 2's

-1 on Sammy Slicks. Worked fine on gravel roads. First CX race that I jumped on bike, tire blew off rim

I have heard good things about Specialized 2bliss CX tires

Stans Alpha 340 rims

maybe this will help you - there is also a part 1 & 2
    Going Tubeless for Cyclocross - Avoiding the Burp, Choosing the Best Tires, and a DIY System (Updated, Part III) - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos

mtbr member
    My LBS just built me a set of Nextie carbon hooked 29er wheels and installed a pair of WTB Cross Boss with Stan's tape. They had a tough time with them...super tight. Haven't ridden them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    I haven't personally ridden any of those tires. The hutchinson and vittorias seem to be lower volume. I'm unsure on the kenda, but would be more inclined to choose that over the other two options due to a perception of more volume.

If I were you I'd look for the highest volume lower tread tubeless tire you can find. Some people have good luck with specialized, others do fine with the options you mentioned. Personally I've had good luck running clement tires tubeless, however all my cx tubeless setups are on stans rims so I can't guarantee others will have the same experience.

I've always used tape, but generally only use rims designed for tubeless. I've moved to using 2 layers of stans yellow tape to build up the rim cavity a bit for CX tires/beads. This makes airing them up MUCH easier than one layer, which seems specific to CX tires.

Hope that helps.
    The Bulldogs on my bike are ancient (2007 or something), but they are pretty wide, almost measuring 36 by the casing. The new ones could be narrower, I guess.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks again for all the good info and answers.

I found these, Mud 2`s at wiggle, but seems very narrow: Wiggle | Michelin Cyclocross Mud 2 Folding CX Tyre | Cyclocross Tyres

Any good places to shop CX tires (usually shops on chainreaction and wiggle).

Best
    T

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    +1 on Clement and Mud 2's

-1 on Sammy Slicks. Worked fine on gravel roads. First CX race that I jumped on bike, tire blew off rim

I have heard good things about Specialized 2bliss CX tires

Stans Alpha 340 rims

maybe this will help you - there is also a part 1 & 2
    Going Tubeless for Cyclocross - Avoiding the Burp, Choosing the Best Tires, and a DIY System (Updated, Part III) - Cyclocross Magazine - Cyclocross News, Races, Bikes, Photos, Videos
    Thats just some awesome reading, read it all. I might go for the Mud 2`s, some valves and some tape (still dont know if the ghetto style has worked for anyone, with the cut open tube as the bead and up the sides?).

Also, as I understand it, its better with the wider rims, if possible?

Best regards
    T

mtbr member
    Removed my ancient bulldogs last night and put on a set of 32C Vittoria XN (file tread, non-TNT) with Stans on 6700 rims that I've only used tubed before for one race.

They are narrow. 29.5 from the same calipers that gave the bulldogs 35.5.

Set up of the rear tire was very easy with the first shot of air from my modest compressor. The front tire was an hour-long battle using every trick I could think of. I eventually had to set one bead with a tube and temporarily use a stans valve with the core removed before replacing the ultegra valve and getting it on the fifth try.

Overnight the easy-on rear tire lost about 15 PSI, the ugly-install front lost zero PSI.

So yeah... tubeless installs of non-tubeless tires remains a bit of a dark art.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Removed my ancient bulldogs last night and put on a set of 32C Vittoria XN (file tread, non-TNT) with Stans on 6700 rims that I've only used tubed before for one race.

They are narrow. 29.5 from the same calipers that gave the bulldogs 35.5.

Set up of the rear tire was very easy with the first shot of air from my modest compressor. The front tire was an hour-long battle using every trick I could think of. I eventually had to set one bead with a tube and temporarily use a stans valve with the core removed before replacing the ultegra valve and getting it on the fifth try.

Overnight the easy-on rear tire lost about 15 PSI, the ugly-install front lost zero PSI.

So yeah... tubeless installs of non-tubeless tires remains a bit of a dark art.
    It seems that non-tubeless tires are only really usable on specific rims, and not always the rims you'd expect. For example, I had a bit of trouble with Stan's Arch EX rims and certain tires. Even with tubeless ready Hutchinsons they were a little finicky.

On the flip side, I've had great luck w/ Pacenti CL25s and HED C2+ rims. The HED rims would be my choice for using tubeless-specific tires as the Pacenti rims set up almost too snug. Sure, they won't burp, but they're also very hard to get the bead to break loose when you want them to (taking them off, that is). For example, I had a pair of Hutchinson Secteur road tires mounted on 'em for road use, that were almost impossible to break the bead loose.

For either of those rims, the trough is deep enough that once the bead is off all the way 'round, it's very easy to remove the tire from the rim.

mtbr member
    Went my first full CX season with only tubular tires. No flats except that one drunken night at nationals. On the other hand my wife, who got my tubeless wheels and tires, had 4 flats each one costing her a podium spot. Tubeless cx is unreliable and inconsistent. Tried it for a half dozen years or so before committing to tubulars and never going back.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Went my first full CX season with only tubular tires. No flats except that one drunken night at nationals. On the other hand my wife, who got my tubeless wheels and tires, had 4 flats each one costing her a podium spot. Tubeless cx is unreliable and inconsistent. Tried it for a half dozen years or so before committing to tubulars and never going back.
    If we're comparing studies of limited sample size (IOW, personal anecdotes) I've run tubeless exclusively for 2 full seasons with no flats and no burps, but have lots of friends who flat tubulars all the time.

For me, tubeless CX is very reliable, with the right tires/rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What kind of flats? Slices, burping?

I thought taping it right was the hardest part with such narrow rims but beyond that it's been no different (i.e. 100% reliable) than my MTB setup.

mtbr member
    What kind of flats? Slices, burping?

I thought taping it right was the hardest part with such narrow rims but beyond that it's been no different (i.e. 100% reliable) than my MTB setup.
    Great point... if the flats weren't due to burping, then there's nothing unique about tubeless that led to the flat, and nothing special about tubulars that would've prevented the flats.

A punctured tire is a punctured tire, no matter how it's attached to the rim.

mtbr member
    All flats related to burping. Tubeless cx can't handle super aggressive cornering like tubular can.

New bike in our house has Stan's Grail wheels with clement PDX tires. Tire is flat already after just one trip on a Thule T2 rack. Here we go again...
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    All flats related to burping. Tubeless cx can't handle super aggressive cornering like tubular can.

New bike in our house has Stan's Grail wheels with clement PDX tires. Tire is flat already after just one trip on a Thule T2 rack. Here we go again...
    Stan's wheels don't use a true tubeless rim though. If I remember right it's designed to help convert non-tubeless tires to be run tubeless.

Beyond that, it could be a pressure issue. I can practically drag knee while cornering with my CX bike at 30psi in the front and 40psi in the rear (Nano 40c front, Cross Boss 35c rear), I've jumped it, and hit rocks and holes in the trail (like a big ass gopher hole) so hard that my hands and taint instantly went numb (didn't see it coming, hit it full force 20+mph with full weight on the saddle). Never a burp or a washout. Oh, and I'm 6'6" 240lbs

mtbr member
    Stan's wheels don't use a true tubeless rim though. If I remember right it's designed to help convert non-tubeless tires to be run tubeless.

Beyond that, it could be a pressure issue. I can practically drag knee while cornering with my CX bike at 30psi in the front and 40psi in the rear (Nano 40c front, Cross Boss 35c rear), I've jumped it, and hit rocks and holes in the trail (like a big ass gopher hole) so hard that my hands and taint instantly went numb (didn't see it coming, hit it full force 20+mph with full weight on the saddle). Never a burp or a washout. Oh, and I'm 6'6" 240lbs
    My experiences dovetail with yours pretty closely. The first thing folks should do is not go by the gauge and shoot for an arbitrary low psi. With the right tire/rim combo, it's not hard to find the sweetspot where traction is maximized and burping is minimized/negated, and if that's 28psi or 35psi, so be it. FWIW, I did a thumb test comparing my tubeless tire to a friend's tubular and found that my tubeless was noticeably softer at 4 psi higher inflation. If I'd been bound by a dogmatic desire for absolute lowest psi, I might have had problems. I wasn't, so I didn't.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    My experiences dovetail with yours pretty closely. The first thing folks should do is not go by the gauge and shoot for an arbitrary low psi. With the right tire/rim combo, it's not hard to find the sweetspot where traction is maximized and burping is minimized/negated, and if that's 28psi or 35psi, so be it. FWIW, I did a thumb test comparing my tubeless tire to a friend's tubular and found that my tubeless was noticeably softer at 4 psi higher inflation. If I'd been bound by a dogmatic desire for absolute lowest psi, I might have had problems. I wasn't, so I didn't.
    Yep. I had a pretty knowledgeable friend over the other day and asked him to thumb test my MTB's front tire. He said 30psi. I hooked up my digital gauge and it came back 15psi. I usually ride at 18psi but I hadn't ridden that bike in almost 2 weeks so it dropped a bit. Different gauges read differently.

mtbr member
    The races that actually use my cross bike for (2 year tops) tend to favour higher pressure, 40PSI or more, so burping has not been a factor, I'm after puncture-resistance from the sealant.

And my reference point is tubes, which IMO will pinch-flat well before a tubeless tire will burp.

My grievance with tubulars is mostly financial.

Red October

CX Tubeless setup thread

Stans Iron Cross with Clement PDX, 25-40 psi depending on the ride, no burping, no BS. Just phenomenal feel, and traction. Certainly you need to use the right stuff, but if you do, you can't go wrong. Switching to an LAS on the rear soon for fast hardback through summer, I will update if this changes anything.

Just a fat guy on a little bike
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me ig

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast