Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Managed to blow the Vittoria off the rim yesterday (stans 400). I was at a hair over 80 psi (by my gauge, which may not be the most accurate). So will be keeping in the 70's in the future. This one was interesting because I was going straight - much different experience than the conti which basically tore off the rim coming around a tight corner. It was *very* loud too, people came running out of their houses thinking I'd been shot. I filled up in the morning, so I suspect that the tires got good and hot as the ride went on, causing it to eventually blow off.

Probably could have re-seat the bead roadside but went with a tube in the interest of getting home (was 50 miles or so into a 65 mile route, and almost as far from home as it took me). It did not appear to have sustained any damage.

The good news is, getting it set up tubeless again will give me an excuse to remove the tape so I can fish out the nipple that's been rattling around in my rim driving me crazy
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Managed to blow the Vittoria off the rim yesterday (stans 400). I was at a hair over 80 psi (by my gauge, which may not be the most accurate). So will be keeping in the 70's in the future.
    XG Pro TNT (700x32) holds up fine for me (w/ Stan's alpha 400) at 65 PSI.... with 30+ mph cornering on descents (which is scary)

mtbr member

Re: CX Tubeless setup thread

Yep 65-70 should be great. High speed cornering may be hindered but worth it if the tire stays on

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Yep 65-70 should be great. High speed cornering may be hindered but worth it if the tire stays on
    the knobs makes it scary compared to a road tire

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm curious to hear from anyone with experience converting Hed Ardennes rims to tubeless. I have a 2012 CL version of the wheelset and ran them in cross last year with tubes. I was hoping to convert them to tubeless using stan's tape and sealant and running either Specialized Captains 2bliss or Michelin Mud 2's. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience using these rims and/or tires tubeless. Thanks

mtbr member
    Anyone had an issue with folding racing ralphs and the bead tearing off at 60psi. I got the tyre replaced but it was a long walk home. Now running the the replacement tyre and the other racing ralph with no issues.

mtbr member

Seems low for a bead failure, hopefully a freak thing. What size tire?

davidcarson48
    Bump.

Anyone tried that Specialized Captain CX 2BR yet? Thoughts?

Fat & Single
    Took these off to fit new rotors and thought I would post them up here as ive been following this thread.

Lightbicycle XC carbon rims (21mm internal dia), hope hubs and DT revo spokes. 1560g wheelset. Set up tubeless with 3M 8898 strapping tape, stans and enve tubeless valves... I will be changing these out for regular tubeless valves when I need to refresh the stans as they were too long, hence the blue alu spacer.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Anyone run a specialized carbon Roval 29er wheel with a cross tire yet? I'm thinking of pulling it off my mountain bike and setting it up with a Terra Pro 33. It has a 45psi max. I'm a little worried about damaging the carbon sidewall if I do hit rocks or roots too hard.
    Will no bead hook matter?
    Any Thoughts?

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcarson48 View Post
    Bump.

Anyone tried that Specialized Captain CX 2BR yet? Thoughts?
    Wondering the same. One of our customers runs them and swears by them. Specialized is out of stock until December, so I'll have to wait to try them myself...

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've been running the Captain CX 2BR on my front wheel (Hed Ardennes) set-up tubeless with 2 strips of Stan's tape. I've raced it at 35 psi on a really rough course with lots of roots with no issues. I weigh 175 pounds. It really grips well.

mtbr member

I rode those rims on a rented road bike and couldn't stop thinking about how much cross tire they could put on the ground if set up tubeless. Glad to hear they work well. How was the setup? Guessing not too tough if you needed the strips

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Took these off to fit new rotors and thought I would post them up here as ive been following this thread.

Lightbicycle XC carbon rims (21mm internal dia), hope hubs and DT revo spokes. 1560g wheelset. Set up tubeless with 3M 8898 strapping tape, stans and enve tubeless valves... I will be changing these out for regular tubeless valves when I need to refresh the stans as they were too long, hence the blue alu spacer.

You are running the Schwable RR in tubeless, and which size? I am wondering as I have worn out my Stan's Raven 700X35 and looking for something with a bit more grip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Why are you guys running such high pressures in cross tires? Kevlar bead tires whether they are tubeless ready or not are not safe at higher pressures. Road tubeless use a carbon bead that does not stretch and therefore stays on. I only weigh 142 so I can run lower psi and 40 is max for me but that's for commuting. Off road I'll drop to low 30's. There is no advantage to rock hard tires. As a gauge you want to have a little bulge when your on the bike. And not bottom out too often on rocky or roots trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Today was my first ride tubeless. I am running Stan's 355 rim on the front wheel and a Stan's Iron Cross on the rear. The front wheel came from my mountain bike and was still in good shape but the rear needed a new rim and I had it rebuilt with the Iron Cross.

I ordered a set of Vittoria XG Pro TNT tires when I got the rear wheel rebuilt. They were a pain to get on because of the tight beads and reminded me why I hate TNT tires. They aired up easily with the floor pump and I set them at 32psi front and 35 psi rear, fwi I weigh 165. Rode some smooth singletrack trail, road, gravel, and grass and things worked well. The ride was nice and when I rode over branches that were laying on the roads I barely felt them. I also tested the cornering ability out on grass and they seemed to do well. I may drop the air pressure a bit for racing especially if it is a smooth course.

I also have a set of wheels built with Velocity A23. I tried to set them up tubeless with Schwalbe Racing Ralphs Evolution. I could not get the tires to seat with a floor pump. I took them to the shop and the got them to seat with the compressor but would go flat over night. They were extremely loose on the rims and I didn't trust them tubeless so switched back to tubes. I even tried them on the Stan's 355 rim and no luck getting it to seat. I don't trust a tire if I can't get it to seat with a floor pump or at worst going to a nearby gas station.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Lots of my tires I could not get setup with out a compressor and they have been the most reliable. However that it MTB sizes 1.8 or larger.

I seen the Vittoria XG Pro TNT also and was considering them and wondering if they offer more grip than the Stan's Raven 35mm?

I am pretty much bald on my Raven's now so really need something to fit the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    update -- ran Clement PDX on A23s with 2 layers gorilla tape and a 24" split tube. 0 problems with burps. Ran 40# in front and 50# in the back, obviously I would like to run a little lower in the back. 40# in the front was right at the limit for me when it came to squirm on this course. We had a fast paved section followed by a sharp paved corner that the front tire REALLY wanted to roll over on. I thought I burped on it but when I checked pressure when I got done, it was the same. Will definitely experiment with lower pressures in the back, I did not like the way the back tire seated so I ran a higher pressure as I did not have time to experiment. The pressures may seem high but I am 6' 6" and 240# so they are not unusual for me. The lowest I would run tubed is 45# as pinch flats become an issue for me there. This was a good test as there were 2 grassy off camber sections one that was basically switchbacks down the face of a hill.
    Last edited by clydeone; 09-23-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: clarity

mtbr member
    I set up my carbon roval control mtb wheels tubeless with the terra pro tires my bike came with for the race this weekend. I ran them with 38 psi front and back, it was a really fast/hard course with a high speed heavily rooted section. I burped the rear tire on the second lap but it held for the rest of the race (40 min). When I threw the pressure gauge on it afterwards it was sitting around 30psi. I thinks it's good and glued now!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Were you using the tubeless ready version of the terra pro? Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Were you using the tubeless ready version of the terra pro? Specialized Bicycle Components
    Yes there the "2bliss" ready version. They work great in mud and loose sidehills, but don't role the best on hard-pact. Go figure

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by (807) Recordings View Post
    You are running the Schwable RR in tubeless, and which size? I am wondering as I have worn out my Stan's Raven 700X35 and looking for something with a bit more grip.
    Sorry, only seen your post. They are 33's, currently running Clement Las as tubeless.... nothing wrong with the ralphs, just wanted to try something with a flatter center profile.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Sorry, only seen your post. They are 33's, currently running Clement Las as tubeless.... nothing wrong with the ralphs, just wanted to try something with a flatter center profile.

The Raven's might be a bit flatter, but also a bit less grip (rolls faster). Mine are 35mmX700. I may have to check the RR to run on my Bad Boy as there is not much space left, and I don't feel like going down to a 26er wheel.

FWIW I have not burped my setup at all and I am always doing MTB on it. Usually in the 40psi range, but even less down to about 26psi. Lower psi though and tire roll comes in, and lots of rim bashing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    AKRC78, I guess you burped the rear on the rooty section of the course? How much do you weigh. I've been running a Vittoria TNT size 32 set up tubeless on my rear wheel at 40-41 psi without any problems while riding some rooty single track. I weigh 175 pounds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    AKRC78, I guess you burped the rear on the rooty section of the course? How much do you weigh. I've been running a Vittoria TNT size 32 set up tubeless on my rear wheel at 40-41 psi without any problems while riding some rooty single track. I weigh 175 pounds.
    Yeah, I hit a root pretty hard and felt it burp. But after that I went through the same section 7 more times with no problems. I set them up the night before with no riding on them prior to the race and I think they just needed to seat proper. I weight 170. They ran fine at 31psi just a little soft for the rear tire.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast