Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Playmobil View Post
    Thanks sslos.

Yeah, I also agree the best way is to go for a specific tubeless tire.

Kenda Kommando, Vittoria XG TNT & Spe Captain 2bliss are my options, but they are hard to find. Which one will you prefer for hard pack, rocks, dry trails?
    I've only ridden spec captain pro & 2br in those conditions... works fine... can't ride as hard as my MTB tubeless with spec renegade (rear) and captains (front)

mtbr member
    Impossible to get the Captain's 2bliss in Spain.

Vittoria TNT and Kenda Kommando or Small Block Eight SCT are the last options in tubeless tires. Not sure if a non tubeless tire will work on my DT wheels

hispanic mechanic
    I like the SM8 in hardpack, rocky terrain. Terrible if there's grass or any moisture, so they didn't work for me for CX.
    I set mine up tubeless with some difficulty, but they did work.
    Unfortunately, the sidewalls are a bit delicate. I sliced the rear fairly quickly, 1 cm gash that hasn't really patched well enough to keep them tubeless.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I like the SM8 in hardpack, rocky terrain. Terrible if there's grass or any moisture, so they didn't work for me for CX.
    I set mine up tubeless with some difficulty, but they did work.
    Unfortunately, the sidewalls are a bit delicate. I sliced the rear fairly quickly, 1 cm gash that hasn't really patched well enough to keep them tubeless.

Los
    Did you use the SCT (sealant compatible) Kenda tire or just the normal version? Which pair of wheels did you use? Stan's?

Has anyone experienced going tubeless on DT Swiss R1800 wheels?

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Playmobil View Post
    Did you use the SCT (sealant compatible) Kenda tire or just the normal version? Which pair of wheels did you use? Stan's?

Has anyone experienced going tubeless on DT Swiss R1800 wheels?
    Standard (non-SCT) tires, Bontrager Mustang rims, Gorilla taped.
    The SCT version wasn't available when I got them, and after one CX race on the SM8s I won't spend the money. I liked them pretty well for singletrack duty, but they were terrible in the grass-heavy CX courses we have here in Idaho.
    If you're not racing the SCTs might be a viable solution.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm trying to set up my CX bike as tubeless but having just bought a new roadbike and MTB, funds are a bit low!

The routes I ride tend to have a lot of thorns around the trails so punctures are a common problem. I'm hoping to cut down on the punctures if possible.
    Instead of going for new wheels and tyres, I'm planning on fitting a set of Schwalbe tubes with removable cores then putting some Stans sealant into the tube to see if it'll help with punctures. Has anyone tried this and did it work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeTee View Post
    I'm trying to set up my CX bike as tubeless but having just bought a new roadbike and MTB, funds are a bit low!

The routes I ride tend to have a lot of thorns around the trails so punctures are a common problem. I'm hoping to cut down on the punctures if possible.
    Instead of going for new wheels and tyres, I'm planning on fitting a set of Schwalbe tubes with removable cores then putting some Stans sealant into the tube to see if it'll help with punctures. Has anyone tried this and did it work?
    Yup, that's pretty standard in CO with all the goat heads we have. I even put a little in my road tubes. Cheap quality brand tubes also have removable cores.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat View Post
    Yup, that's pretty standard in CO with all the goat heads we have. I even put a little in my road tubes. Cheap quality brand tubes also have removable cores.
    Excellent, thanks for letting me know.

Out of interest, how much sealant do you use in the tubes?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeTee View Post
    Excellent, thanks for letting me know.

Out of interest, how much sealant do you use in the tubes?
    Worked for me too. I used the QBP tubes which, as mentioned, have the removable valve stem. For my 700x35 tires I believe I used about 1.5 ounces per tire. I've pulled multiple thorns/goat heads out of them after races without much air loss, so they do work well. I don't think they are pinch flat proof though. I have been trying to get motivated for tubeless , even have some stans alpha rims, but it seems like different tires are hit and miss. I had some Maxis mud wrestlers set up beautifully only to have them blow right off the rim riding down to the park to test ride them. After seeing and hearing other scenarios like this, it is hard to beat tubes and sealant. I mean what’s the point of saving a few grams if your not even going to finish the race. So I that note, has anyone had luck with the continental X-kings tubeless? I like the looks of the 700x35’s, but heard the side walls are rather porous.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bo_vk View Post
    It is 4 weeks since the last post - here is an update to the "wire bead tubeless".
    I was riding A23 with wire bead Clements for another 4 weeks, 2 races and probably 50 MI of MTB singletrack at 27F, 34R verified by Topeka digital gouge (I am 195 lbs after Christmas). I think if this setup can be burped by now it would. Had one crash and badly damaged rear wheel, getting the tire off the bead was very difficult.

Question for everybody - Anybody tried wire bead road tubeless setup? All they claim for road tubeless bead is that it does not stretch SO -> the wire bead may do the trick for 1/4 of the price??
    Since this post I installed Hutchinson tubeless road tires on my bike so I felt an explanation may be in order. I still feel the wire bead road tires would work tubeless. It came down to the risk / benefit feeling. As I was looking for wire bead road tires I realized they may not be made in needed quality to keep the wire from separation from rubber at high pressures (several people actually mentioned this in tire reviews). So I got the real tubeless road tires and sure enough, the build quality is visibly excellent. For road where there is so small margin for error I will stick with real tubeless.

On the other hand I still like wire beaded tires for CX (low pressures).

mtbr member
    May 2009

Any experience with these tubeless

Vredestein Premiato Cross Tire? Would be going with the 700X34 on a Stans Alpha 340.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    Vredestein Premiato Cross Tire? Would be going with the 700X34 on a Stans Alpha 340.
    Nope. I don't think they are tubeless ready... so you may need a rimstrip.

ALPHA Cyclocross Rim Strip

if that's too expensive... then there are the proven ghetto tubeless methods to try

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Nope. I don't think they are tubeless ready... so you may need a rimstrip.

ALPHA Cyclocross Rim Strip
    Thanks for the response. I thought for the stans alpha set-up that a double layer of yellow tape was all that is needed, or is this for Road tubeless? I did set these wheels up with some Maxxis mud wrestlers (New old stock 700X35s). They set-up and held air beautifully but blow right off the rim when riding to the park. These were really loose fitting and I found out later people were not having success with these. So with a tighter fitting tire would I still need a rim strip? or is it mostly trial and error still at this point in cross tubeless?

mtbr member
    May 2009

Answered my own question

From the Stan's site.

Re: Tire options for Alpha 400?

Postby NoTubesBob » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:41 am
    The majority of cx tires will fit on the Alpha rim and can be used tubeless. There can unfortunately be large variance in tire size. I have seen sets of Muds that are loose and others there were tight. A tight fitting cross tire will work well with just the yellow tape and valve. For a loose fitting tire add the alpha rim strip. http://www.notubes.com/ALPHA-Cyclocross ... 91C13.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    Thanks for the response. I thought for the stans alpha set-up that a double layer of yellow tape was all that is needed, or is this for Road tubeless? I did set these wheels up with some Maxxis mud wrestlers (New old stock 700X35s). They set-up and held air beautifully but blow right off the rim when riding to the park. These were really loose fitting and I found out later people were not having success with these. So with a tighter fitting tire would I still need a rim strip? or is it mostly trial and error still at this point in cross tubeless?
    Double wrap is mandatory for road tubeless due to the high pressures for road tires.. Optional on cross and mtb. Going double doesn't hurt.

Specialized Captain 2BR set up just fine with 1 layer of Stan's type on Alpha 400.
    Specialized Bicycle Components

on my MTB.... I had to use 2 on my Arch EX rear wheel with Specialized Renegade Control. The front Arch EX was fine with 1 layer with Specialized Captain Control (both are 2Bliss ready)

tubeless ready (non-UST) would also have an extra butyl rubber layer on the bead, to help with sealing. So, non-tubeless ready tires, this is why you can use a rimstrip to take up the slack. There are other methods also, ie build up with rim tape, gorilla tape, extra tube, etc.

mtbr member

Re: CX Tubeless setup thread

Decided to end my conti experiment last night (CX race 35s on alpha 400s). They were a GREAT off road tire but didn't deal well with even moderately high pressures, and felt squirrelly on the road with lower pressures on such a narrow rim. Sidewalls were kind of porous, and didn't recover from punctures too well - the last straw was coming out of work to a flat and having to ride home with maybe 10psi worth of co2 left. These will go on my B wheel set which may end up getting sold to my brother if he gets this sweet lemond frame he's been eyeing.

LBS had some Vittoria XG TNTs lying around so I dropped my bike off to get them on. Hoping for a stronger bead so I can run at least 50 psi on road without fear of blow offs and a better sidewall. Will report back.
    Last edited by AlexCuse; 03-02-2013 at 08:44 AM.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Vittoria should be no problem.
    Have been way over 50 psi with XN (on Alpha's)

mtbr member

Good to hear - my mountain bike is in the shop and we got some nice weather this weekend so I'll be testing these bad boys out on the road tomorrow. May try as high as 60 psi if I feel cheeky.

Construction on these tires feels impeccable. Supple sidewalls, really strong beads, went up tubeless no problem without the stans strip. Only concern is that I'll chew through the tread too fast on the road, compound used feels very soft. But I'm tirewilling to replace tires a bit more often in exchange for a more robust tubeless setup.

**EDIT** these tires feel great on the road - pumped up to 65 in the rear and 60 up front and was rewarded with a very confidence inspiring ride (actual pressures may have been higher not sure how much confidence I have in my pump's gauge). Saw they are rated for 45-90 PSI - I think 45 was about the maximum my old tires could handle with a tubeless setup. Hope they don't have any issues on the occasions when I want to go lower, but with such a supple casing 45 might actually be low enough. That soft-feeling tread compound makes for some amazing grip too. Can't wait to get out on them again.
    Last edited by AlexCuse; 03-10-2013 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Experienced a blowoff from a Clément X'Plor, whereas the Vittoria was still going strong, I measured with a digital gauge the Vittoria @ nearly 5,7 bars ~ 80 psi, the Clément was long gone ... I still have my garage ceiling painted with NoTubes :-)

Never trust your old pump gauge ....

Wife's XN front, thread is going strong (+/- 1800 km 4 months)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I will share my experiences from this past season. I initially started off running Maxxis Raze both front and rear on DT Swiss 1850 rims with wide rubber 26 inch rim strips (2 on each rim for thickness). They both aired up very easily but I experienced 3 or 4 burps during races this year that cost me several positions (cat 4 mid-pack glory) and decided that something had to change on the front. I never experienced any problems with burping on the rear. I was running high 30s on the front and low 40s on the rear.

I switched to a Maxxis mud wrestler on the front and it has served me much better. No burps in any CX races. I did get a slight burp this past weekend while riding 12 miles of singletrack at the Doubleshot race here in North Carolina. The burp was very slight and was easily pumped back up. The course was very rocky and rooty for skinny cx tires.

Overall I think the Raze has too loose of a fit to work reliably for ghetto tubeless in CX. Maybe people using a proper rimstrip or Stans wheels would have different experiences.

Next year for CX racing I think I am going tubular but tubeless is still a viable option.

mtbr member
    I'm planning on doing a CX tubeless setup with Stan's Crest rims (which were recommended to me by Stan's for my custom hub and spoke choices).

I'm interested in the Vittoria TNT tires, but have heard from a guy at my LBS that they can be terribly difficult to mount. For those of you that run these tires, what did you think of the installation?

Also, has anybody tried the Stan's Raven tires tubeless? Any details on those would be great to hear too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've had the Crest rims on my crosser since last spring. Currently have allrounder tires on now (Serfas Vida, not tubeless-specific but work just fine). Will put on the Ravens that i have been saving for mud season. used those ravens on my DT Swiss wheels w/Stans conversion but not yet on the Crests.

Ravens are great tubeless - that is their purpose. Had one sudden leak that resealed itself in 6 mos. of riding (finished the ride w 10 lbs of air). you can't go wrong with Ravens on Crests. The great thing about Crests (and all Stans wheels) is they will allow more standard tires to be used tubeless because of the tighter fit. Also means that changing tires can be a bear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrock View Post
    I've had the Crest rims on my crosser since last spring. Currently have allrounder tires on now (Serfas Vida, not tubeless-specific but work just fine). Will put on the Ravens that i have been saving for mud season. used those ravens on my DT Swiss wheels w/Stans conversion but not yet on the Crests.

Ravens are great tubeless - that is their purpose. Had one sudden leak that resealed itself in 6 mos. of riding (finished the ride w 10 lbs of air). you can't go wrong with Ravens on Crests. The great thing about Crests (and all Stans wheels) is they will allow more standard tires to be used tubeless because of the tighter fit. Also means that changing tires can be a bear.
    The Arch EX on my MTB... seating the bead is a PITA.

the Alpha 400 on my Cross... super, super easy. I can seat the bead by hand with tubeless compatible tires

mtbr member

Vittorias definitely tight - shop had to remove my rim strips to install. Once on they go up easy though. The tires that go on easy seem to be a bit less reliable.

Haven't had to pump them up since first ride - haven't had that with any tubeless setup and its pretty lovely. May look for a TnT tire for my next MTB setup to see if they hold air as well.

mtbr member
    Just mounted a pair of Clement LAS on Stan's Iron Cross. Tires seeped a bit. Added some Sealant after a couple days. Got in a nice gravel ride on them and they feel very quick.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast