Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Just built up some Velocity A23s, and set up Clement PDXs on there. Velocity tape, Orange Seal (my favorite sealant,) in back. Ran out and had to use Satan's up front. Seating beads took a bit. In retrospect, I'd have used an extra layer of tape.
    Taking them on a short trail ride shakedown tomorrow. Should be a good test of the wheels and tubeless set up.

Los
    Have the same rims and tires - used 2 layers gorilla tape. Had to use the compressor to get them to seal. (I have never had luck with just a tire pump on any tire I have set up) Rode this combo last weekend at Copper Harbor -- some roots and rocks most of trail we rode was hardpacked dirt. Had no problems. Then the next day I rode the Michigan Tech Trails, Rode for about an hour trails were much rockier and rootier -- finally burped the rear on a large rock near the end of the ride. Ran 40 front an rear. I am 250 geared up. Felt the rims hit ALOT at Michigan Tech was very nervous.

hispanic mechanic
    Well, I'm about 60 lbs. south of you and the trails here are not rocky and rooty, but I was able to run about 35psi front and rear with no burps. The biggest problem was the gravel that the tires threw up at me!
    No offense, but perhaps a bit higher psi may be required at your weight with this set up. At my weight, 35 did feel pretty soft, and I can imagine that I'd bottom them out if I were someplace with lots of rocks and roots.
    As to the set up, I had to do some wheel adjustments on the front, and so just to see how it'd do, I pulled the tire, and added a second layer of Velocity tape. Aired up easily with my floor pump with the core removed.
    Tires have held air well, and it's awfully nice to pull out a couple of goatheads and not worry about it!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Dialing in the optimal pressure

Hi All -- I'd really appreciate some advice on dialing in tire pressure. I'm running Stans Alpha 340s with Michelin Muds at 160# body weight and at 35psi. 1-2x per race, the rear tire gets really squirrely on minor g-outs and bumpy corners. It feels like the sidewall is about to fold over which I've never felt on my MTB and is pretty disconcerting. Is this normal for a CX tubelss setup, or do I need to keep ratcheting up the pressure to make it stop? It's never burped or caused a wreck but it seems like this is getting close to the 40psi pressure limit and at that point I'm not sure there's much benefit to running tubeless. I'm also wondering if maybe the 340s are too narrow for their intended purpose(?).

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIndy View Post
    Hi All -- I'd really appreciate some advice on dialing in tire pressure. I'm running Stans Alpha 340s with Michelin Muds at 160# body weight and at 35psi. 1-2x per race, the rear tire gets really squirrely on minor g-outs and bumpy corners. It feels like the sidewall is about to fold over which I've never felt on my MTB and is pretty disconcerting. Is this normal for a CX tubelss setup, or do I need to keep ratcheting up the pressure to make it stop? It's never burped or caused a wreck but it seems like this is getting close to the 40psi pressure limit and at that point I'm not sure there's much benefit to running tubeless. I'm also wondering if maybe the 340s are too narrow for their intended purpose(?).
    I run my tubeless pressure on the higher side of what most people would consider the "benefit" of a tubeless setup. 40R feels good to me and I weigh 145. I notice that running a tire tubeless at the same pressure as a tube it feels much different and thus I can tolerate some higher pressures. 40 with a tube feels way stiffer than 40 tubeless. The tire is just more supple at the same pressure without a tube IME. That has just been my experience. Play around with tire pressures and see what feels good. Let us know what works.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Well, I'm about 60 lbs. south of you and the trails here are not rocky and rooty, but I was able to run about 35psi front and rear with no burps. The biggest problem was the gravel that the tires threw up at me!
    No offense, but perhaps a bit higher psi may be required at your weight with this set up. At my weight, 35 did feel pretty soft, and I can imagine that I'd bottom them out if I were someplace with lots of rocks and roots.
    As to the set up, I had to do some wheel adjustments on the front, and so just to see how it'd do, I pulled the tire, and added a second layer of Velocity tape. Aired up easily with my floor pump with the core removed.
    Tires have held air well, and it's awfully nice to pull out a couple of goatheads and not worry about it!
    Los
    Don't worry about offending me 250 geared up is not a bad weight When you are 6'6" (although I was at least 10 lbs lighter this summer)

Yeah I'm gonna try the 45 r and 40 front next. This is the same pressures I ran tubed on my muds for the first race this year. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to run my Gravel tires tubeless(Panarcer Tservs) have a race next weekend anybody got any history on those tires tubeless?

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone tried tubeless on deep dish chinese clinchers yet?

I've had great luck on every rim I've tried; Bontrager, several sets of Stan's, my ENVE XCs and now I want to try a set of 38mm or 50mm carbon rims.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to run my Gravel tires tubeless(Panarcer Tservs) have a race next weekend anybody got any history on those tires tubeless?
    I've run panaracer paselas tubeless on all kinds of gravel, jeep trail, fire road etc and they work great for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeps Elgnis View Post
    I've run panaracer paselas tubeless on all kinds of gravel, jeep trail, fire road etc and they work great for me.
    I was going to try and set them up - have to mix up more sealant though

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I set up some A23's with a layer of gorilla tape, Stan's CC 29er rimstrips, and sealant successfully with a Ritchey WCS shield on the front and a Kenda slant 6 in the rear. Had to use a compressor. No issues thus far.
    I'm also curious about the chinese carbon clinchers being run tubeless. Being a narrower rim I'm thinking it might not be the best idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just ordered some Velocity A23s and will be looking to set them up tubeless... has anyone tried the tubeless kit that Velocity makes? I was thinking of giving that a shot first...
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by ender. View Post
    I just ordered some Velocity A23s and will be looking to set them up tubeless... has anyone tried the tubeless kit that Velocity makes? I was thinking of giving that a shot first...
    Me.
    Double wrap the rims (2 layers of tape,) and depending on your tire choice, soap the beads. I should have done both from the onset with my PDXs. Consequently, they took a little bit to get the bead to pop into place with a compressor.
    After a bit of wheel work, I added a second layer of tape to the front, and it aired right up with my soon-to-be-dead, asthmatic floor pump.
    The valves are really nicely done, great fit into the rim well, and the removable core is well made.

Los
    Jens Voight

hispanic mechanic
    Update: Tires held well. Raced them on a very tough course with rough, dry sections, damp grass, and lots, LOTS of off camber sections! 32.5psi front, 34.5 rear, no burps or wallowing. Love these tires, love the fact that I picked up 5 goatheads the day before and had no worries. Tubeless rocks!

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Are you guys running the new tubless A23's or the older ones?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gfsugar View Post
    Are you guys running the new tubless A23's or the older ones?
    New has distinct ledges for the bead

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm running the older A23's

hispanic mechanic
    Newer, made in Flor'da for me.

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I recently setup a pair of clement PDXs on a stans crest (front) and a 355 (rear) on my crux expert disc. So far I've ridden them a number of times on a cx course, in a fairly technical cx race, and on singletrack mtb trails without any problems. I weigh around 185 and have been running closer to 40 psi. So far it has been a great experience. As others have mentioned, 40psi tubeless feels a lot lower than 40psi with tubes, and grip with the same tires seems improved.

Everyone warned me that tubeless was a no-no for cross, but I'm glad I tried it for myself. Many probably don't want to believe tubeless is a valid replacement for their pain in the @ss tubulars that are superior by a seemingly decreasing margin. Component choices (rims, tires) seem to make a bigger difference as to whether tubeless will work consistently, although I'll be able to say that more confidently after I have an entire season on them under my belt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Finally got the panaracer tservs setup last night. They were not the easiest to get to seat. Couldn't get them to hold air without sealant very porous sidewall. I used a scoop and a half of Wade's secret sauce did a few shake and lay on side. They had only lost a few pounds so I aired em up and rode to work on them this morning. Ran 45 f /50 rear. The back seemed soften by the time I got into work. I'll check them in a while. Would not suprise me that they lost air as porous as the sidewall was. Other wise it appears they will work for this weekend's gravel race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I set up some Specialized Captain CX Pros on a Stans Arch EX and a WTB Speeddisc. They seemed to be fine, and lost air overnight. I aired up in the morning and threw the wheels in my trunk. 5 min later the tire blew off the Stans rim. The other one was fine. Weird. I would have expected the other way around. Mind you the beads were pretty loose on both rims. Anyway, I resorted to a tube for the Stans rim. The front is fine still.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Tservs worked fine today. Raced the Lowell 50 (50 mile gravel race near Grand Rapids, MI) today had zero problems. Biggest challenge was some nasty potholes I could not avoid. zero burps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My bike is not set up for racing. In the last week I did mount up my Schwalbe Marathon Mondial tires tubeless on a set of Stans ArchEX rims. So far have a few rides on them including a 46 mile ride yesterday. Running about 28/30psi (F/R) and that seems to be working well. I find the rolling resistance on the road is less and the grip in the dirt is better. I didn't use enough sealant the first time around so had to pump in another ounce to finish up sealing them. I like the look and feel of the 700x40 tires on the 24mm wide rim, I had them on a 19mm wide rim originally and they looked a little pinched.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 10-28-2012 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clydeone View Post
    Don't worry about offending me 250 geared up is not a bad weight When you are 6'6" (although I was at least 10 lbs lighter this summer)

Yeah I'm gonna try the 45 r and 40 front next. This is the same pressures I ran tubed on my muds for the first race this year. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to run my Gravel tires tubeless(Panarcer Tservs) have a race next weekend anybody got any history on those tires tubeless?
    Ran the PDXs today at 40 f 45 r -- burped the front on an awkward uphill dismount on lap 3 of 7. Finished the race but didn't burp again wound up with 20 pounds in the front. It was strange. I was being very careful. Lost 3-4 places after that.

Also I blew a Tire off a rim today. First time I have ever done that. luckily I was outside I was remounting my Tservs after the race for tomorrow's commute. I went ahead and remounted the tire more carefully this time. I'll see if it holds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Additional info -- after burping my last 2 races -- I finally was able to complete one without a burp. In a race 3 weeks ago I burped the front so last week I added a 3rd layer of gorilla tape to the front AND I burped the rear. This was a race in Kalamazoo and i burped when I slid through an off camber up hill turn. So I added a 3rd layer to the rear this week nd ran 45 f / 50 r and was able to finish. This race was a decent test with a few tight grass corners that I was generally sliding through a bit. But not a lot of off camber. I am running Clement PDXs on A23s. One more race for me this year. A generally muddy affair in Holland, Michigan probably won't be a great test for burping and I will likely drop the pressure by 5# front and rear.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    Did anybody try tubeless mounting of tires with WIRE bead?
    A little background:
    I am using tubeless (tubeless ready, non tubeless, you name it) on MTB for many years and I have never DNF-ed because of tires.
    I got a CX bike and was surprised reading about the terrible reliability of tubeless set-ups. So I tried Piranhas on A23, did not hold pressure, burped, bead stretched. So obviously bad choice of tires !? but I used Pythons and Piranhas on MTB without slightest problem.
    My bike came with wire beaded tires (Clement PDX, 33mm). I put them on A23 wheels tubeless, needed compressor to pop the bead in but nothing unusual.
    38R, 32F (I am 190 lbs) and did 45 miles on easy fast singletrack with a lot of roots, milion turns on different surfaces. I hit the rim many times, skidded sideways in turns - basically abused the tires. Spent 4 hrs on the bike, the pressure at the end WAS IDENTICAL to the starting pressure, no sealant showed on tires, just a great ride.
    Maybe till we get good quality tubeless ready 33mm + tires this wire bead tubeless is worth trying?

mtbr member
    Yeah but what is the benefit? You didn't lose any air, so what? You're using a heavier tire and a high pressure. Do you feel a difference like the other said between 32 with a tube or 32 tubeless?
    It's a better feel?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast