Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I picked up a pair of Shimano Ultegra Tubeless ready wheels this year and mounted them with Hutchinson Piranha that I used all last year. Have some issues sealing up but once they did have been perfect. Four races so far this year with 3 being very rough and a bunch of training rides. I am no gracefully racer at 175# as I power over and through stuff and the setup has worked so far. I have been setting the rear at 40 psi and the front at 36'ish. I know that is not low psi but I get plenty of expansion of the tires when I am on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    I was serious, i do alot of rides that are 150-200 miles (up to 260 miles so far) long on either Road and/or Gravel. I normally run 35c tires around 70-90 psi depending on the roads.

Make more sense now?
    I had a pretty good idea that was what you were doing, it still doesn't answer the question as to why you'd want to run pressures that high with tires that wide, tubeless no less. I'm just guessing (admittedly) but I'd guess that you passed the point of reduced rolling resistance somewhere around 60-65psi and ventured deep into the realm of decreased shock absorptions/decreased comfort once you passed 70-75psi.

Having said that, I've temporarily inflated my Hutchinson cross tires up to 80 psi just to get the bead to fully seat, didn't blow 'em off the rims. So, I suppose you could ride them that firm, not that I'd want to.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    First race on Arches with Mud2s: excellent.

32psi front and 35 rear...I feel like I can go a good bit lower. I run 20 psi front and 23 rear in my mtb tires. Anyone else got a comparo between their cx and mtb tubeless pressures?
    What is your weight? I just set up crests tubeless with mud 2s and I am trying to figure out pressure before my race sunday.

Thanks!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Shimano Ultegra wheels with bontrager cxo tires. No issues and no rim strips needed with those wheels just swap the valve.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Only been a few weeks on mine, but loving the ride quality and feel

Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, Hutchinson Bulldog tires, Stans No Tubes kit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Oh, and I have some Mavic CXP 33s that I was hoping to set up with some road slicks on one of my cx bikes, something like some 28 mm Continental Four Seasons.

Anyone know if I'd be able to go tubeless on this rim/tire combo?

If not, since this is my backup cx bike, I might just add some tire strips to get a bit more protection when riding on gravel/off road. I'm going to be using this bike for both around town, winter road riding, and hitting some trails.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    setup an old Mud 2 (2005 vintage) on a Mavic open pro over the weekend -- Gorilla tape and closed cell weather stripping. The side wall was VERY porous could not get it to hold until I had 2 scoops of sealant(WSS) in and I'd shake it lay it flat and pump air in to force the sealant into the holes. Had to do several rounds of that then I rode it around the yard. When I brought it in I squeezed the side wall and was able to get it to burp. So I went back deflated it and checked to see if it was seated (didn't look like it) so I reseated it by taking it up to 55# then could not get it to burp by hand. rode some easy single track with no burping. Checked it again and could not get it to burp by hand at 37#. may give it a shot at this weekend's race. WIll try and get a rear set up the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Cx tubless setup

Iam runnung Michelin mud 2 on stans crest rims tubless with hope pro 2 hubs on my crux disk ,can run them at 26 to 28 lbs. in dirt no problem and 50 lbs. on road or hard pack.

JNob
    Feb 2011

Crossmax 29er/Hutchinson Piranha problem

The set up held air great but now I can't get the tires off. They went on easy enough but I cant get a tire lever under the bead at all. Any suggestions? Could it be a vacuum problem from letting the air out? I've unscrewed the valve to try to even the pressure on the inside and outside of the tire but it didn't help. I've only got one set of wheels and I need to swap these back to MTB tires asap. Help!

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anyone know if dt Swiss rims are tubeless able? I have a pair of 1700 CX wheels and want to try but figured I'd ask first to see if it is worth the attempt.

Short-Change-Hero
    Looks like you guys have had some pretty good success with this. I just picked up a Kona Jake and will look at doing the gorilla tubeless on the stock wheels when I get a chance. Just was looking around and found out that Vittoria is coming out with a TNT version of the Cross XG Pro (clincher) this year. I am going to talk to my LBS about those as I love GEAX tires and have always had luck with them.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Short-Change-Hero
    So I emailed Vittoria about the new Cross XG Pro TNT and actually got a response within a couple hours. Guy said that they are slated for March 2012 release and first shipments to the US are supposed to land in mid April. They will be $62/ea and run the standard TNT setup that is found in the GEAX TNT tires, which means they will suffer from the mounting issues found with BST bead style rims (Stan's, Sun Ringle, etc.). If the folding seal up as well as the GEAX folding then I will definitely go with those but seeing as I am looking at building a secondary set of wheels (Velocity A23, Circus Monkey HRW2 hubs and DT Swiss Comp spokes) I should not have a problem with them. I love Stan's rims though so it will come down to what my budget is at the time.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Soon as I get my Vittoria Cross XG Pros I am going to give this a shot of the weekend. Only thing is where do you guys find 20" presta valve tubes or does 26" work well enough? Was going to try ghetto tubeless this time instead of Gorilla Tape tubeless but may have to fall back to the faithful Gorilla Tape method.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Clement X'Plor MSO setup tubeless on Alpha 340 rims? Anyone tried it? 60 or 120 tpi?

I wanted to revive this thread a little bit now that cross season is ramping up hear in NorCal. I've been having great luck flogging my Hutchinson Bulldog 34c on Stan's Alpha 340 rims setup tubeless in the local SF cross series the last few weeks, but Bulldogs are hard to find, and I want to get fatter, like 40c, and the new Clements look cool (I ride an old Air9 so width is not a concern for clearing the frame). Anyone tried it? What's the rule of thumb again of 60tpi vs 120 tpi thread walls? I know 120 take a bit more time to seal, but one burps easier than the other? Seems to me the stiffer 60tpi would be more prone to burping, but I can't recall. I like the 60tpi because they're cheaper! Any other rec's on 40c'ish tires? I had a pair of folding IRC Mythos 42c 4 years ago that worked GREAT on Arch rims set up tubeless, but I can't those tires anymore.
    thx
    Patrick

mtbr member
    I am kind of curious about the Vittoria Cross XG TNT tires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does anyone have the schwalbe cx pro pumped up tubeless? 50tpi seams low....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I used 2 26 inch by 25mm rubber rimstrips on each rim. I patched up the hole where the valve stem goes through. The overlapping part of the strip has to be trimmed a little so that you don't get any leakage around that site. I used some threaded valves from an old tube. I mounted Maxxis raze on DT swiss 1850 wheels. So far so good as far as sealing and rolling. I flatted last Tuesday but it was a puncture that tore a hold in the tire. That flat would have happened to any tire. It was too big to seal with the Stans but I patched it up and it is now rolling again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uncreative View Post
    does anyone else use tubular glue + stans on clincher rims? I've seen this mentioned a few times and am curious how well this works.
    Bump

mtbr member
    glad this thread is revived....

slightly off topic, but can anyone comment on the seals used in the Stan's 340 wheelset hubs? I think they are the 3.30 model hubs... love stan's rims for mtb but haven't tried their hubs and want a bomber seal setup for a new cx wheelset. thanks!

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by 3daywheelie View Post
    I wanted to revive this thread a little bit now that cross season is ramping up hear in NorCal. I've been having great luck flogging my Hutchinson Bulldog 34c on Stan's Alpha 340 rims setup tubeless in the local SF cross series the last few weeks, but Bulldogs are hard to find, and I want to get fatter, like 40c, and the new Clements look cool (I ride an old Air9 so width is not a concern for clearing the frame). Anyone tried it? What's the rule of thumb again of 60tpi vs 120 tpi thread walls? I know 120 take a bit more time to seal, but one burps easier than the other? Seems to me the stiffer 60tpi would be more prone to burping, but I can't recall. I like the 60tpi because they're cheaper! Any other rec's on 40c'ish tires? I had a pair of folding IRC Mythos 42c 4 years ago that worked GREAT on Arch rims set up tubeless, but I can't those tires anymore.
    thx
    Patrick
    I just set up 120 tpi X'plor MSO on Ultegra tubeless wheels. Pretty loose fit. Needed to let them sit inflated with tubes overnight to get bead to seat. Very porous sidewalls, but sealed up ok.

On an interesting note - I got a "bad" bottle of Stan's. The sidewalls initially refused to seal, even after I put way too much Stan's in them. Tried adding glitter, no dice. Finally noticed that my brand new bottle of Stan's looked really watery compared to normal. Got a different bottle from the local shop and they sealed right up. Weird.

Rode Tsali on them yesterday and they were awesome. No word yet on reliability, but I slammed them around pretty good and felt the rim hit a couple times, but no burping or other issues. 40/45 psi, 150lbs.

As far as what doesn't work - Was running Kenda Happy Mediums before, and developed the Stan's / non-tubeless tire de-lamination after about three weeks. They were great tires as well, but the MSO's are really awesome.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    ^did you shake the crap out of the bottle you suspected as being bad? Possible that bottle had sat around for a while before you purchased it.
    Signature

H8 H8 H8
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    ^did you shake the crap out of the bottle you suspected as being bad? Possible that bottle had sat around for a while before you purchased it.
    Yup. Even after all the shaking it looked more like skim milk than anything else. Oh well. One of those things.
    Yeah, it's strange. But oh well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
    First race on Arches with Mud2s: excellent.

32psi front and 35 rear...I feel like I can go a good bit lower. I run 20 psi front and 23 rear in my mtb tires. Anyone else got a comparo between their cx and mtb tubeless pressures?
    It is about a year since you posted this (and I'm hoping you are still around)...any updates on this setup? Issues? Changes?

The more I research wheel builds for my weight and proposed singletrack usage the more it points me back to the Arch EX. Thought about going with a Crest or IronCross but I'm right in the 190-200 range and I'm not sure those could handle my not-so-smooth riding style through our somewhat rooty trails.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Yup. Even after all the shaking it looked more like skim milk than anything else. Oh well. One of those things.
    I had the same thing happen about 2 years ago. Bought a bottle....shook the crap out of it and noticed it looked thin ....and it would not seal a Schwable tire.
    Called Stan's and they sent me a new bottle right out. It was thicker ( like normal) and sealed the tire first try.

hispanic mechanic
    Just built up some Velocity A23s, and set up Clement PDXs on there. Velocity tape, Orange Seal (my favorite sealant,) in back. Ran out and had to use Satan's up front. Seating beads took a bit. In retrospect, I'd have used an extra layer of tape.
    Taking them on a short trail ride shakedown tomorrow. Should be a good test of the wheels and tubeless set up.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast