Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    does anyone else use tubular glue + stans on clincher rims? I've seen this mentioned a few times and am curious how well this works.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    CX mag has an interesting article here http://www.cxmagazine.com/going-tube...ecommendations

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm getting close to giving up on my gorilla tape-ghetto tubeless setup (Easton EA50 wheels with hutchinson Piranahs and clement pdxs). It works great on trails and on all my training rides but it has failed me twice big time in races (putting the record at 2 out of 3 races for the year). The issue only seems to be there on really tight and bumpy turns and only on my rear tire. There might only be one turn on course that I have an issue with, but once it burps out enough pressure once, then it keeps losing pressure elsewhere. Maybe a little more pressure would help, but then I'm back at my tubed pressure. The tubular glue idea might be worth the try, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to experiment with another failure in a race. First failure, it was on the last turn, so it only cost me a top ten spot. This past weekend (when I finally got a call-up), it took me from the top 5 and put me in 88th, as I had to run in the last 1/2 mile or so.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Non-UST Bulldogs with Stans @40PSI,

DNF averted:

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone have any luck with Challenge Fangos or Panaracer crossblasters? Was thinking of going split tube ghetto.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by kmancrx View Post
    Anyone have any luck with Challenge Fangos or Panaracer crossblasters? Was thinking of going split tube ghetto.
    I had success with Crossblasters on Velocity Dyad and Salsa Delgado CX rims last year doing the split tube method. This year I'm using Sun EQ21 rims, with 1 layer of Velox and a Stan's rim strip.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I had success with Crossblasters on Velocity Dyad and Salsa Delgado CX rims last year doing the split tube method. This year I'm using Sun EQ21 rims, with 1 layer of Velox and a Stan's rim strip.
    I have velocity deep V's maybe I will give it a shot. Only thing I would loose is a 26"mtb tube and a little sealant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kmancrx View Post
    From what I have heard Challenge tires will not work. The high thread count poly cotton casing is susceptible to sealant's corrosive properties. Apparently the sealant will destroy the skinwall casings of those tires.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Non-UST Bulldogs with Stans @40PSI,

DNF averted:

Any burping issues with the Ulterga wheels?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mblock View Post
    From what I have heard Challenge tires will not work. The high thread count poly cotton casing is susceptible to sealant's corrosive properties. Apparently the sealant will destroy the skinwall casings of those tires.....
    Thanks for the tip. The Challenges are a nice tire even tubed. They feel nice and supple.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by vs779 View Post
    Any burping issues with the Ulterga wheels?
    None at that pressure, and at lower pressures, none that wouldn't have pinch-flatted a tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mblock View Post

I'll be trying to convert some Clement PDX's this weekend - I'll report back and update the thread.

I've been using the bulldog's tubeless, and they work very well. They aired up with a floor pump on my mavic SLs with a rubber stan's strip.

mtbr member
    Alpha 340's with Hutchinson Pirhana rear and Bulldog front. Pumped up F42, R 48 and did a 30 mile road ride no issues. One thing is for sure. 40 psi tubless feels like 60 psi with tubes.. Ill be running 25 with ease at 200lbs : ) I love you Mr. NoTubes!!!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Cross blasters mounted up great ghetto

Mounted the Panaracer Cross blaster on a velocity deep V using a 26 inch tube. Aired up right away with an air compressor. I did a 20 mile dirt ride an I think they held air with no problem. Hooked up nicely on the corners.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    First race on Arches with Mud2s: excellent.

32psi front and 35 rear...I feel like I can go a good bit lower. I run 20 psi front and 23 rear in my mtb tires. Anyone else got a comparo between their cx and mtb tubeless pressures?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    I'll be trying to convert some Clement PDX's this weekend - I'll report back and update the thread.

I've been using the bulldog's tubeless, and they work very well. They aired up with a floor pump on my mavic SLs with a rubber stan's strip.
    Just an update on converting the Clement PDX to tubeless:

I used Mavic SL rims with stan's rubber rim strip and they aired up easily with my mini shop compressor (I didn't try my floor pump). I added approx. 1.75 scoops of stan's to each tire. They didn't weep or leak at all after my initial shake, but I did I ride immediately after mounting them - from my experience, this is generally a good idea to get them sealed perfectly.

I raced this setup on sunday in muddy conditions and they hooked up extremely well. These tires are in a different class compared to the bulldogs I have had on for the last couple of weeks. The casing is more supple which seems to conform much better to bumps.

In my warm-up lap I tried 25psi, but I burped the tire after a really poor mount - I suck at mounts as a general rule! For race time to be safe, I put 30psi rear and 28 front, and they performed as well as can be expected for really slick conditions. No bumps to speak of. It *appeared* I was concerning with more confidence compared to guys running tubular girffos, but that's tough to say definitely.

Note, I'm only 150 pounds, so heavier people will need to go higher.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Panaracer cross blaster update

Ran them last night in a training race. I have them set up ghetto/split tube with stans. I ran about 40 psi as the side walls seem pretty rubbery. They performed nicely on a relatively dry course with grass, clay, cobble, 1 sand pit, roots and tons of black walnuts. So far so good.

simple
    Running Specialized Royal Pave wheelset, Stan's cyclocross strips, and Schwalbe Sammy Slick tires.

Spare wheelset - Salsa Delgado Cross rim, Stan's 26-inch strips, and Hutchinson Piranha tires.

Working fine here. Sometimes one wheel will deflate sooner than the other. I keep them aired up during race season.

mtbr member
    Two sets of Velocity A23s, set up w/ the standard 26" Stans rimstrip. One set has Hutchinson Intensives for road use, the other set has Bulldogs for 'cross use. I'm closer to 200# than I care to admit, and can run the road tires at 85-90 front/90-100 rear and the cross tires at 32-34 front/36-38 rear, no problems at all.

mtbr member
    I have a set of alpha 340 laced with dt aerolite spokes on dura ace hubs. My ibis came stock with the Michelin jets, they took a bead and held air easy with a floor pump. Last night I attempted to get a set of Rocket Ron CX tires on and they were a *****. I finally caved and headed to sears to buy a air compressor. Once I had air the front one popped right up, the rear one I had to set a tube in it and let it set for about ten minutes before I could get it to take bead. The rocket Ron sidewalls are real porous but with lots of stans they are holding air.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX Tubeless setup thread-photo-12.jpg  

CX Tubeless setup thread-photo-22.jpg  

mtbr member
    i want to run a tubeless setup on my gravel road cx bike for endurance events and whatnot, will these setups take potential 80-90psi? What has been the upper limit for PSI?

mtbr member
    Assuming you're serious, I'll take a stab at your question: WTH would you want to run pressures that high???

You could go as high as 60 or so with most tires, but they'll ride really rough. No reason to go higher than 50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Assuming you're serious, I'll take a stab at your question: WTH would you want to run pressures that high???

You could go as high as 60 or so with most tires, but they'll ride really rough. No reason to go higher than 50.
    I was serious, i do alot of rides that are 150-200 miles (up to 260 miles so far) long on either Road and/or Gravel. I normally run 35c tires around 70-90 psi depending on the roads.

Make more sense now?

Natural body armor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    I was serious, i do alot of rides that are 150-200 miles (up to 260 miles so far) long on either Road and/or Gravel. I normally run 35c tires around 70-90 psi depending on the roads.

Make more sense now?
    For commuting I have 50/50 gravel/pavement and sometimes my road rides end up on dirt, so I run my tubeless setup with Stan's rims and yellow tape + Kenda or Hutchinson up to 85psi: so far a few thousands miles (made a set of hutchinson pyton bald) and zero problems, tubeless saved me from thorns and nails that would have caused me a flat on tubes.

I don't think there is a real need to go higher, since with a 34c you get pretty good rolling resistance at that pressure and the gain on pavement sections would be negligible IMHO.

Definitely depends on your weight as well, but I think you would be fine with 35c at 70-90.

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast