Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    mtbr member

Surly Knard

I have velocity A23's and cannot get the knard to seal...too loose on the rim...no problems with others....Running a tube for the knard...whats the secret?
    Quote Originally Posted by williamf777 View Post
    After about 3 months of running my Surly Knard 700x41 on an Ultegra tubless front wheel I finally got it to burp. I had no problems at 35-40psi. Then I forgot to inflate it before my ride and had about 30psi. While traction and bump compliance was killer it burped after I got on the top side of a rut and dropped it back in onto a rock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX Tubeless setup thread-dscn3285.jpg  

CX Tubeless setup thread-dscn3283.jpg  

mtbr member
    WOW! I just got my Surly Knard to seal....but won't seal with Stans sealant...soI'll run it w/o for awhile....

mtbr member
    Just stepping in to say tubeless CX sucks. After 7 years of trying all the options i'm done. Not reliable for racing. Hello tubulars i'm ready for you and all your glue.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Just stepping in to say tubeless CX sucks. After 7 years of trying all the options i'm done. Not reliable for racing. Hello tubulars i'm ready for you and all your glue.
    Have you tried tubeless rims with tubeless ready CX tires? If you haven't then no wonder you're giving up.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_r_reese View Post
    I just mounted a set of Clement MXPs on Mavic CXP 21 rims. 1 layer of Gorilla tape and Stan's rim strips. I had to take the valve cores out to get the tires to seat. 2 oz of Stans Fluid in each. They lost pressure overnight, but I aired them back up to about 30 psi and took a short ride on pavement and then some soggy grassy trails. I will take them out on some trails this weekend and see how they perform.
    I have ridden this setup 3 times on trails. About 30-35 psi. No burping issues. However, I hit a rock and put a small hole in the rear tire. Stan's would not seal it, it was shooting out of the hole. I used a can of Caffè Latex and it slowly sealed. I had to ride gently home on a squishy tire. It seems to have sealed now, but it would not have been sufficient for a longer ride home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just another data point....

Clement MXP 33 (measure 35mm) 30 tpi on Some Alex rim (whatever is stock on Kona Jake the Snake) with a Stan's cyclocross rim strip, no problem. Some pinholes in the sidewall, but no excessive leakage. Rode quite a bit on it.

Clement USH 35mm (that measure 33mm) 120 tpi on the same Alex rim and Stan's cyclocross rim strip. One tire has sealed up relatively well with one scoop of stan's. The other tire looks like a bulldog has slobbered all over it. Leaks pretty bad from just above the bead. It has 1 1/2 scoops of stan's and a teaspoon of latex mold builder. Haven't rode but a few miles on these.

Edit, the problem tire finally sealed up.

Edit #2.....I've gone back to tubes after a mystery flat with tubeless (and it was the tire that sealed up fairly easily, not the problem tire). I cannot recommend Clement tires for tubeless.
    Last edited by Manning; 06-07-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    '15 Giant Anthem SX - '01 Schwinn Homegrown Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona Jake the Snake

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have ridden this setup 3 times on trails. About 30-35 psi. No burping issues. However, I hit a rock and put a small hole in the rear tire. Stan's would not seal it, it was shooting out of the hole. I used a can of Caffè Latex and it slowly sealed. I had to ride gently home on a squishy tire. It seems to have sealed now, but it would not have been sufficient for a longer ride home.
    Dan
    I would try adding latex mold builder to Stans, like Manning mentioned above. I had same thing happen to me with a bonty 29-0...unfortunately had to figure out stans wouldn't seal during race

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    Dan
    I would try adding latex mold builder to Stans, like Manning mentioned above. I had same thing happen to me with a bonty 29-0...unfortunately had to figure out stans wouldn't seal during race
    I will try that. I was also thinking of trying Orange Seal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I will try that. I was also thinking of trying Orange Seal.
    Information below provided by mtbr member "dwt"

"One part mold builder liquid latex ( buy on Amazon or art supply store), 2 +/- parts propylene glycol anti freeze. This is the pink/red colored non toxic stuff used for RV's, not the toxic green stuff used for cars, available at any auto
    Parts store

This mix will seat and seal a tire, but not so good at plugging punctures. For that, add regular Slime auto tire sealant to the mix

Now you're good to go"

I got my mold builder from Hobby Lobby, you can also find it at some Michaels, be sure to look up their 40% off coupons before buying
    Castin' Craft Mold Builder Liquid Latex | Shop Hobby Lobby

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've been running Michelin Mud 2's on Stans Ironcross wheels at 30 lbs. I had some problems initially getting them to hold air. I put a tube in to shape the tire, removed the tube (left one bead seated), put soapy water around rim and pumped. I got one tire to pump and had to take the other to the gas station. They worked well through cyclocross season; however, I've done 2 mtb races (with cx categories) with them and I got sidewall gashes (on the rear) and flatted in both races. The second one was very small (Stans didn't seal it).

I love riding my cx bike in mtb races and wonder if cx tires just aren't made for this kind of abuse (e.g. rocky courses), or whether there are tires that will seat that have stronger sidewalls than the Mud 2's. Thoughts anyone?

Mtn View, CA
    I blew out a Mud2 on the rear on my CX running tubeless on some old Mavic Reflex rims. No problem at 40psi but tried it at 35ish and lost a bead. I used the Stan's kit. I talked to Michelin and they of course do not recommend running the Mud2 tubeless. They wouldn't comment on whether they are releasing a tubeless compatible tire either. I talked to Stan's and they said the fit of the tire on the rim is crucial. I'm having the wheel rebuilt with a WTB Chriscross rim and will run a Kenda tubeless compatible tire. I will post up after I get the wheel back.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    I've been running Michelin Mud 2's on Stans Ironcross wheels at 30 lbs. I had some problems initially getting them to hold air. I put a tube in to shape the tire, removed the tube (left one bead seated), put soapy water around rim and pumped. I got one tire to pump and had to take the other to the gas station. They worked well through cyclocross season; however, I've done 2 mtb races (with cx categories) with them and I got sidewall gashes (on the rear) and flatted in both races. The second one was very small (Stans didn't seal it).

I love riding my cx bike in mtb races and wonder if cx tires just aren't made for this kind of abuse (e.g. rocky courses), or whether there are tires that will seat that have stronger sidewalls than the Mud 2's. Thoughts anyone?
    I had same issue mounting new muds, even using compressor.

I ran Muds on alpha 340's last year at 27r/25f (?) @ 150lbs with no problems. My teamate (who I bought this wheelset from), could not get muds to stay on his Ironcross, even though they worked on alphas. His thought was that the Irons were a little wider. He has had no problems with specialized captains - not sure about sidewalls

mtbr member
    With all the options of tubeless compatible tires and tubeless rims why are people still going with unproven methods? I am not trying to be a jerk, I just do not see why people are risking a possible nasty crash with ghetto setups. I have run Kenda Slat Six SCT on both Alpha 340s and Crests with no issues. I have been down to 21 psi f/r on the Alphas without any burps (I weigh 145). My only hope is that some wider options, like 38-44c, that are tubeless compatible start coming out for those of us that do not care about UCI rules.

mtbr member

CX Tubeless setup thread

You make it seem like there are a lot of tubeless ready cx tires. There aren't. The tread patterns that people want don't come tubeless ready.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    You make it seem like there are a lot of tubeless ready cx tires. There aren't. The tread patterns that people want don't come tubeless ready.
    That's okay. Many non-TLR tires will work tubeless just fine, with the right rims.

mtbr member

CX Tubeless setup thread

Just fine isn't good enough.

mtbr member
    Kenda has six models with one size aleady SCT and a second size listed on their website, so 12 there.
    Hutchinson has 3
    WTB has 1
    Notubes has 2
    Specialized has 4
    Vittoria has 2
    Maxxis 1

That is 25 possible choices. To me that is a lot.
    I am sure there are tires I am missing too.
    Last edited by offrhodes42; 05-16-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: added Maxxis to the list

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Keep in mind, how many mtb racers actually DO NOT run TR's due to weight, But i could see it on CX wheels, due to set up being more challenging

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Clement X'Plor MSO 40mm 120tpi working great on Shimano WH-7850 front wheel

I'm jumping back in with my latest (successful) setup: I scored a near new Shimano Dura Ace WH-7850 front wheel recently (scandium rim, tubeless compatible, no spoke holes, etc) and thought I'd try to set up my Clement X'Plor MSO 40mm 120tpi tire on it for the upcoming Lost & Found race happening near Lake Davis, CA on May 31st.

From my previous posts/experience, this tire did not like my Stan's 340 rims at all, blowing off the rim around 45 psi. This time I took the tire to 50 psi upon install (no problems), then backed the pressure off to 45psi, & went out for a 4+ hour mixed dirt/single track shakedown ride in Marin this Sunday. ALL GOOD, no burping, no nothing, felt rock solid the whole ride. I used Caffe Latex b/c I hear that's more friendly to the scandium rims. Now I need to track down a matching rear wheel.

Bike set up is a 2011 Kona Major Jake w/ TRP CX9 brakes, FYI. The 40mm Clements fit front & rear w/ room to spare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 3daywheelie View Post
    I'm jumping back in with my latest (successful) setup: I scored a near new Shimano Dura Ace WH-7850 front wheel recently (scandium rim, tubeless compatible, no spoke holes, etc) and thought I'd try to set up my Clement X'Plor MSO 40mm 120tpi tire on it for the upcoming Lost & Found race happening near Lake Davis, CA on May 31st.

From my previous posts/experience, this tire did not like my Stan's 340 rims at all, blowing off the rim around 45 psi. This time I took the tire to 50 psi upon install (no problems), then backed the pressure off to 45psi, & went out for a 4+ hour mixed dirt/single track shakedown ride in Marin this Sunday. ALL GOOD, no burping, no nothing, felt rock solid the whole ride. I used Caffe Latex b/c I hear that's more friendly to the scandium rims. Now I need to track down a matching rear wheel.

Bike set up is a 2011 Kona Major Jake w/ TRP CX9 brakes, FYI. The 40mm Clements fit front & rear w/ room to spare.
    I am curious why you prefer to ride such high pressures (to me at least). What is your weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm 170lb. 45 psi in a 40mm wide tire when I'm riding rocky/dry/rutted single track at speed doesn't feel high to me, but I'm erring on side of not trashing my fancy new front rim. By squeezing the tire, and that one ride I did, I definitely feel I could case the rim if I got sloppy going fast at 45 psi (hitting a water bar too hard, getting blown off line, etc). Also, the Clement sidewall notes rec'd 55-90 psi for this tire, so I thought I'd start at 45. I'm no expert on this whole "gravel" thing, but 45 felt just about right. Now if I was riding some grassy/muddy euro type cross course on the level, that'd be a whole different story, with a whole different tire...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    anyone have success with split tube method on cx tires? haven't seen it mentioned but is pretty bomber with mtn tires...looking to set my cx bike up with the non-tubeless tires I already have.

mtbr member
    I've tried the stans rimstrips, basically the same thing. Definitely helps with looser tires but I wouldn't consider it bomber.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Now older but less slow!
    Thought I would comment on the combination I've been running for a couple of months now. I'm running Specialized Tracer Pro 2Bliss on Velocity A23 rims (the A23 Pro build wheelset to be precise) with Cafelatex as the sealant. I have to say that I am quite impressed. They hold air much better than the bike did with latex tubes. They are very compliant and fast.

Mounting was very hard though. I have a 60gal compressor and that would not seat the tire. In the end I mounted them with a tube. That seated the bead into the rim. I left that for a couple of days. Then I deflated the tube and popped/opened only one side of the tire off the rim. I removed the tube and installed the valves. Then I flipped the tire over so that the open side was down so that gravity could help. Then a ful blast of air from the compressor. I had to push it to around 65-70 psi for the bead to then seat again. Then deflate and add sealant through the value.

On my first ride I was running the wheels at around 30-35psi. I was alarmed at just how much squish there was in the tire and how it can "roll" on the rim. It freaked me out so much that now I tend to run 45psi. It's sill comfy and compliant but I feel it is just a little more secure and it protects my rims from the inevitable rocky trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. Roadie finally giving CX a try. Team races Trek bikes and the crocketts/boones comes with their Bontrager tubeless-ready wheel. I'm 139-145 lbs depending on the day and interested in CX tubeless. Hearing a lot of negatives but I'd like to see if anyone has experience w/ the Bonty TLR hoops raced with tubeless tires, and what set-ups have worked well for you.

Thanks for your help.
    Michael

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast