> /dev/null 2&>1

Cx tires and trainers

So I picked up a mag trainer with my REI dividend and threw my bike on. I knew the roller wheel would wear down my tire, and, my rear tire was already pretty much toast, but holy jesus, one hour spinning completely finished it off:

This is (was) a Vitoria cross xl 33. Anyone have any tips reducing this problem? I don't want to burn out a new tire in a few hours.

Pressure was in the 50s, should I go higher? Max is 80.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Many roadies use a "trainer" tire, so I suspect this is a common issue with all tires. Maybe get another tire to use on the trainer, or even a cheap wheel with another tire that you can swap on.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I use a trainer tire with a tube, and tubeless Cx tires in the riding season. Trainer tires last forever. My CX bike spends winters on the trainer and then I switch back in spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bought a cheap smooth road tire. In comparison, my 29er tire sounded like a train, the smooth one has no sound at all. I did realize my drivetrain was noisy as hell though. Couple hundred hours, no wear to the tire. I also only air it up to 35 psi so I have good grip against the metal roller.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Make sure the tire is inflated to max pressure and that the roller is against it TIGHT.
    It should take dozens of hours to wear that much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I got an aftermarket wheelset when I picked up my cross bike and road tires on the factory wheelset. Still not as ideal as having a "trainer" tire but for how often I use it, I'll pay for the extra wear than hassle with swapping to a trainer tire the couple times a year I use it.

You could probably find a dirt cheap rear wheel/cassette on craigslist or something and just swap the rear wheel when you're on the trainer.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. Eventual goal is a separate set of road wheels with identical hubs for quick swap without caliper and derailleur adjustments.

Till that time I'll try Shayne's suggestion and maybe swap a trainer tire if I'm still wearing out fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback folks. Eventual goal is a separate set of road wheels with identical hubs for quick swap without caliper and derailleur adjustments.

Till that time I'll try Shayne's suggestion and maybe swap a trainer tire if I'm still wearing out fast.
    For what its worth, I swap between wheelsets with different hubs and have no issues with derailleur or brake. Even if there was a slight discrepancy, just adjust your stuff for the primary wheelset. Having an ever so slight discrepancy when you're on a trainer is not much to worry about. Especially with canti brakes, just leave them open on the trainer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a road wheel with an Armadillo for race warmup on the trainer, but I seem to do just fine riding around for warmup. I didn't like the idea of clamping my carbon cx bike in the trainer (but I imagine it's just fine) for winter evening workouts, so I bought a vintage steel road race bike for the occasional road ride and for use on the trainer, that has worked well. Decent used older road bikes have gotten pretty cheap.