mtbr member

CX tire for flip-flop wheel

I'm planning out a singlespeed conversion, and looking for a tire to use in the rear with a symmetrical tread that will handle and roll as close to the same as possible when mounted in either direction. No tread doesn't count Bonus points for ability to setup tubeless and available in 32-35c range. Doesn't need to be especially capable in the mud, though I wouldn't necessarily be against that

The Kenda Happy Medium seems like the best option I've seen so far, but I'd like to know what others are running.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm running 40c Happy Mediums currently. If you are doing a mix of road and trail, they are a good option. For racing or strictly offroad, I would go for a more aggressive tread.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Stan's Ravens are a good choice. They seal up fine and are surpisingly grippy even in the mud because they dont clog up.

mtbr member

Re: CX tire for flip-flop wheel

Thanks for the info. Probably ride them on mostly gravel, some road and buff-ish singletrack.

mtbr member
    I'm no gravel expert, so if that is the primary use how much tread is necessary?

Lazy People Suck
    I have used the Maxxis Raze tubeless with good results. It seems to be a good all around tread and it looks as if it could be run either direction with little difference/
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    I'm no gravel expert, so if that is the primary use how much tread is necessary?
    Gravel will only be a slight majority (60% or so) but I like to go fast enough on it that I'd like a little bite through the turns. The challenge grifo / vittoria XG tread is just about perfect but doesn't reverse especially well. I'd say the happy medium/cx speed have about the minimum tread I would want. The raven and raze look a bit more like what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I currently run the Club Roost Cross Terra on my Jake the Snake.

Club Roost Cross Terra Tire 700c x 35mm Black Steel - AEBike.com

The only thing it doesn't really excel at is wet roots.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Gravel will only be a slight majority (60% or so) but I like to go fast enough on it that I'd like a little bite through the turns. The challenge grifo / vittoria XG tread is just about perfect but doesn't reverse especially well. I'd say the happy medium/cx speed have about the minimum tread I would want. The raven and raze look a bit more like what I'm looking for.
    The Kenda HM has plenty of bite in the turns. The side knobs are very aggressive. I've used the 40mm HM front and rear for gravel riding, no problems at all. Once used the 40mm on the rear for a 6 hr MTB race that I did on my 'cross bike. Not a good idea (doing it on a 'cross bike, that is). The tire was perfect.

I use the 35mm HM as my rear tire for 'cross racing in dry conditions. Even in the loose, dusty conditions here in CO, the HM works really, really well as a rear tubeless 'cross race tire.

If there's any question, I am a huge fan of the Happy Medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    About the happy medium, are they good tubeless in the 40mm and to what psi? And what psi in the 35mm, too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    About the happy medium, are they good tubeless in the 40mm and to what psi? And what psi in the 35mm, too?
    Keeping in mind my race weight is ~190lbs, I ran the 35mm on the rear at around 34-35 psi. The 40mm, when I did the mtb race on it, around 30 psi. Normal gravel riding, 36 rear/34 front.

I had zero issues with burping, w/ the 35s mounted on Arch EX rims. I was using Velocity A23 rims when I was running the 40mm tires.

I might could've gone a little lower, who knows.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sounds like the happy medium is worth a shot - will probably go with a 32 so I can keep my vittoria up front.

mtbr member
    I ended up getting some 35c happy medium "pro" for front and rear. Took first ride on them today, and wow are they a fantastic tire. Feels almost as supple as the challenge grifos on my other cross bike, but much faster on the road. They aren't the tubeless model but but they do have the 120 tpi casing. Mounted right up on my a23s without levers.

Ride was 46 miles or so, maybe 65% gravel 10% rocky doubletrack 5% singletrack and the rest pavement of varying quality. Even in a few muddy spots the tires did great. Thanks for all the advice guys!