mtbr member

CX/road disc wheelset

Looking for a cx/road disc brake wheelset (or custom build) that can take tubed 25mm or tubeless 33mm cx tires. Seems that Stan's Alpha won't take tubed tires. Mavic's Web site states their road rims are too narrow for 33mm tires and their MTB rims are too wide for 25mm tires (although I was thinking the Crossmax SLR might work). Would like something <1600g Any ideas out there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Stan's can use tubes. "Can be run with tubes or tubeless."

Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

mtbr member
    Check out the Industry nine I-25 disc. They're tubeless ready, 1485 grams, 19mm inner width, and they're all hand laced and built. They have pretty universal axle compatibility too so upgrading to new bikes down the road is pretty easy.

I'm using 32c roubaix armadillos on a everyday set of I-25's. They have a great profile and can handle pretty high pressure.

i25TL Disc
    Here's a pack of matches, go play in the street

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tosa View Post
    Looking for a cx/road disc brake wheelset (or custom build) that can take tubed 25mm or tubeless 33mm cx tires. Seems that Stan's Alpha won't take tubed tires. Mavic's Web site states their road rims are too narrow for 33mm tires and their MTB rims are too wide for 25mm tires (although I was thinking the Crossmax SLR might work). Would like something <1600g Any ideas out there?
    I have used the Alpha 400 with tubes & Continental Grand Prix 4-season.

Maybe you're thinking Iron Cross.

mtbr member
    Hed Belgium wrapped around a pair of Chris King R45 disc hubs. They're wide and road tubeless ready and you can get them without a machined brake track.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    I have used the Alpha 400 with tubes & Continental Grand Prix 4-season.

Maybe you're thinking Iron Cross.
    Was it straightforward to get the tires/tubes on the Alpha? I called Stan's today and the technician told me there's a risk to tires blowing off due to the smaller bead lip (on the Alpha 340). So he recommended to use tubeless 25mm tires. He wouldn't recommend any tubed tires that would work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Was it straightforward to get the tires/tubes on the Alpha? I called Stan's today and the technician told me there's a risk to tires blowing off due to the smaller bead lip (on the Alpha 340). So he recommended to use tubeless 25mm tires. He wouldn't recommend any tubed tires that would work.
    Yes, it was a fairly straight forward install. I did have a blowoff though,.... I wasn't riding, it blew off shortly thereafter install, which I attributed to user error.

Then after that, I pulled a trailer for 60 miles without incident.

mtbr member
    Yes, it was a fairly straight forward install. I did have a blowoff though,.... I wasn't riding, it blew off shortly thereafter install, which I attributed to user error.
    What caused the tire to blow off? I will do a fast technical road descent with the wheels that I will get and risking a blow off is really not an option!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I probably didn't seat the bead correctly. after that, pulling a trailer, I had no issues

mtbr member
    I probably didn't seat the bead correctly. after that, pulling a trailer, I had no issues
    So you're pretty confident with the Alpha 400s and tubed road tires now? About how many miles have you put on it since? Which width rim tape (Stan's yellow or something else) did you use?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So you're pretty confident with the Alpha 400s and tubed road tires now? About how many miles have you put on it since? Which width rim tape (Stan's yellow or something else) did you use?
    I only did it for a road ride I was volunteering SAG for. this is also pulling an old Burley trailer with tools, spares & a cooler with extra water, so I was also putting extra load on the rear wheel.

So, I'm pretty confident with the Alpha 400, personally.

This was with 2 layers of stan's tape. I removed my CX tires (mounted tubeless) cleaned up the rim a bit, then installed the tube & tire.

2 layers of tape is needed for a road tubeless install. With tubes, you can just use 1 layer.