Thread: CX Edicate?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

CX Edicate?

I'm doing my first SS cross race, yep, they have a SS class.
    The race is 40 minutes, will I need a water bottle? if so, is a camel back better?, not so sure if there is time to pull out a water bottle.

Also, is it proper edicate to pre ride the course on morning of race day?

Mojo

Mtn View, CA
    You may want to carry a bottle in a jersey pocket because you won't want a bottle mounted in the frame for run-ups. I've also seen guys have someone on the course to hand them a bottle for a quick sip then they toss it.
    They open the course in the morning in the series I have raced. They also allow later racers to cruise the course while a race is going on as long as you stay out of the way. At the finish line they have an alternate route so you go around instead of across so you don't confuse the organizers.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Don't carry water and remove all water bottle cages before any race - all they are going to do is get in your way when you throw the bike on your shoulder to run. Or worse, the cage gets caught on you when you try to take her off your shoulder. I find the water bottle in your Jersey also tends to end up in the wrong place. And you will be a heckling target if you wear a camel back!!!

Most of the time you don't need any water since the race is short (hour or less) and the weather is cold and/or wet. Yet, early season it can be hot - so hand out are the way to go.

And if you are taking hand outs, make sure you take the beer hand outs as well!!

As far as pre-riding, the best time to do it, is once the leader has finished the race in that Category, you are free to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    edicate
    Is it bad etiquette to make fun of your edicate?

Anyway, you don't need water. Have someone hand you a bottle, take a sip and drop it on the ground.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    I'm doing my first SS cross race, yep, they have a SS class.
    The race is 40 minutes, will I need a water bottle? if so, is a camel back better?, not so sure if there is time to pull out a water bottle.

Also, is it proper edicate to pre ride the course on morning of race day?

Mojo
    If you've hydrated properly leading up to the race and during your warmup, you won't NEED water. But, you may want some. Instead of a big ol' bottle weighing you down, just get a gel flask to carry in your pocket. Maybe 25 minutes or so into your race, pick a smooth spot on your course to reach back and get a quick sip. It's all you'll need.

hispanic mechanic
    Mudge, that's a darn fine idea! I've never taken more than a hand-up (usually water- with some barley and hops...) but the flask idea is a good one!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks, no camel back but maybe a small flask.
    Sorry for the misspell, not one of my strong points

Mojo

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You should be putting a lot of liquids down the day prior to the race, during warm up, then give yourself a half hour break from drinking about an hour before the race to give your self some time to "lighten up".

After the half hour break and some time in the "blue room" pick up a bottle a half hour before the start of your race, by the time the whistle blows make sure its mostly gone. This will see you through the next 40-60 minutes of pain.

Post grab another bottle of water, then beer, then burrito

Matt