mtbr member
    Nov 2011

CX Cockpit Geo Fit

I have been riding MTB for the past 10 years and know the cockpit geo of my MTB bikes. I am shopping for my first CX bike and noticed that the ETT is much shorter than my MTB bikes. I am accustomed to 585mm to 595mm ETT frames but to get this in a CX frame it would have to be a 60cm size. I would need a ladder to get onto this size bike.

Can you guys help me determine how CX frames should fit compared to MTB?
    Last edited by LowOnO2; 12-18-2012 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    unfortunately that's a really broad question with no specific answer. CX frame geometries are all over the board as you'll see touring bikes (fender and rack mounts) lumped in with racing bikes (no mounts, sometimes no bottle cage bosses).

I always size by ETT but also tend to like shorter bikes. Is your 59cm ETT with a 70mm stem or a 120?

Ridleys (and most foreign frames) tend to be "larger" with higher bb while North American frames tend to be the opposite. I like ~53cm ETT w/ 110mm stem (generally). I ride an xs Ridley and can get the same fit in a small Scott addict (or 54 Cervelo P3 if I sit forward). Not trying to be obtuse. Drop in and size one up at the LBS if you can.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the response.

My MTB frames ETT have been around 590 mm plus I like to use a stem length of around 60 mm. So a total of 640 mm.

I should probably try 640 mm as the distance from saddle to hood on a cx frame. Now I have to figure out the distance from the hood to the stem area of a drop bar. I know there is not a universal length of drop bars so I have to do more research. Once I get this number then I will know the size of a stem that I might use.

Once the above is figured out then I can pull the trigger on a frame. I can mess with the saddle and handlebar height once I have a bike together.

jrm
    mtbr member

one thing to consider

[QUOTE=LowOnO2;9986566]Thanks for the response.

Is being fitted for a road bike. The fit is the same in terms of reach with the difference being less seat/bar drop on a CX bike.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys