mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Crux Owners Help

I am in the process of building up my new Crux with a single ring up front. To my surprise, it appears as if nobody makes a direct mount chain keeper. Am I wrong? Any other owners out there, what did you use?

mtbr member
    maybe this?

e*thirteen components

Single Speed Junkie
    Another possible option.

Paul Comp

Never knew that they named a frame after my MTBR handle. (Highly doubtful)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Assuming the bottom of your seat tube is square like mine, your options are limited. I used a Pauls Chain Keeper BB, but I can not recommend it and have removed it. In the first race this season my chain jammed and the whole Keeper rotated forward (its clamped between the BB cup and BB shell) causing it to drag on the chain. No real problem, just made a horrible noise. 2nd race it jammed again, this time bending the attachment arm, rendering the bike unrideable.
    I ordered up bashguard from BBG to go in place of the "big" outer ring and fabricated a guide that bolts to the braze on derailure mount. I made it from a piece of aluminum sheet using a hack saw, hammer, and vice. Not the most aesthetically pleasing solution but it works, no jambs or drops so far. There is a local guy running a bashguard and a K-Edge chain catcher. He says it work pretty good with the occasional drop.

superlights
    Kjeld Christensen's Photos | Facebook
    Road Braze-on Chain Catcher - Road - K-Edge Chain Catchers

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the input. I already checked with those companies. They don't mount on a direct mount chain keeper. I am going to try the old skool approach with 2 FSA guards. I'll post a pic if it works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Thanks for the input. I already checked with those companies. They don't mount on a direct mount chain keeper. I am going to try the old skool approach with 2 FSA guards. I'll post a pic if it works.
    What BB does it have? On my 2011 with a threaded BB I used a e.13 XCX BB mount guide for a while. It worked in terms of chain retention, but the chainline was off. I took a file to the plastic guard to open it up so I only got rubbing in the extreme top of the cassette. In hindsight, I think I read they specifically recommend against filing it. I then used 2 FSA guards for a while, but at USGP my chain hopped over the guards to the outside. It took me stopping and putting it back on by hand. The only good option with this bike is 2x10.
    Last edited by htfu_aaron; 11-02-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Added info
    http://htfuaaron.blogspot.com
    2012 Niner Air 9 SS
    2011 Crux
    2012 Crux SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I use a MRP front chain ring and the "new" XTR rear derailleur with clutch on my Niner Air 9 without a chain keeper, so far without dropping the chain once:
    Mountain Racing Products home of MRP, White Brothers, Kreitler, Tamer, and Power Grips | MRP Bling Ring Chainrings

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    my sworks tricross is setup 1x9, I dropped my chain twice last season. I put one of those cheap third-eye chain watchers on there a few months ago, but I'm considering putting a front derailluer on it just to keep the chain on, or to get it back on if it does fall off. Last race of the season I dropped my chain just after the start, it was fun to pass a lot of guys, but it would have been better if I hadn't dropped the chain. I've got a sworks carbon crankset on there with a solid Spot outer ring.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    Specialized EVO mountain bikes have very nice chain keeper on their 1x10 setup.