mtbr member
    May 2008

crosscheck geometry

hi all,

I'm looking to order a frame only and want to be sure of sizing. I measured up my road bike (Kuota size S), which im pretty happy with, and got the following measurements:

ETT: 20.1"
    BB-Seat clamp: 19.7"
    wheelbase: 38.4"

Bear in mind that this is a racing bike built for speed. I want a crosscheck for a bit more relaxed commuting, some off-road stuff, and to throw around...
    so these measurements point me towards the 50cm size frame, but before I buy anything, I want your thoughts on whether it might be wiser to go for a 52cm, to avoid that cramped 'racy' style? I'm 5'6", with a 28.5" inseam.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Pake C'mute?

Cheers,
    James

mtbr member
    James

Look at the ETT as your priority. Your long leg to body ratio can easily be taken up by a long seat stem. Remember that taller riders do this as the norm all the time. The comfort of the cockpit is the most important thing and comes before seat tube length.
    Over the years frames have trended towards shorter ST's and longer seat stems as the once level top tube now slopes downwards towards the rear axle, and decent seat stems are now available.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Malcolm View Post
    James
    Over the years frames have trended towards shorter ST's and longer seat stems as the once level top tube now slopes downwards towards the rear axle, and decent seat stems are now available.
    True, but that doesn't really apply to Cross Checks, which have a traditional horizontal TT. But, I would second you're advice that ETT is the most important element of geometry to fit. CC's are known for longish TTs.

For the OP: If you want a fit similar to your roadbike, than try to match the ETT. If you want a more relaxed fit, get a slightly bigger frame and shorter stem and run your handlebars as high as you can. I've never ridden a C'mute, but people seem to like them. Looks very similar to the CC and you probably can't go wrong with either.
    2004 Surly Cross Check
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker
    2011 On One Inbred